Value of: Would Any Team Take Huberdeau @ 5.25M Per Season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Unless someone is getting healthy scratched or waived there probably isn't many players in the league that all teams wouldn't take at 50%.

Vlasic and Reaves maybe and I'm sure a few people would take Reaves

Blanket statements like that are almost guaranteed never to be true because the person making them isn’t considering team need, usually with regard to things like the team’s contention window, cap situation, or positional strength/weakness.

Take your statement about Huberdeau, for example. Would he have value at 50% of his current cap hit? Possibly. But not every team would take him at that price. Some may be rebuilding and expect that he won’t be worth even his discounted price by the time they’re ready to contend. Others may be up against the cap and either unable or unwilling to make the moves required to fit him under it. Still others may decide that he simply doesn’t meet their needs and that they’d be better served allocating that cap space elsewhere. And that’s all just looking at how the player fits on a team’s roster - we haven’t even gotten into the question of what would be expected to go back the other way.

The point is there are very few realistic cases where every team in the league would take anybody, even with zero acquisition cost. The exception is star players on their ELCs as any team could free up the required cap space simply by waiving a lesser player on their roster. For instance everybody would obviously take Bedard for free. But with Huberdeau, or McDavid, or any other player with a substantial cap hit, there will almost always be at least one team that can’t use him for one reason or another.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Blanket statements like that are almost guaranteed never to be true because the person making them isn’t considering team need, usually with regard to things like the team’s contention window, cap situation, or positional strength/weakness.

Take your statement about Huberdeau, for example. Would he have value at 50% of his current cap hit? Possibly. But not every team would take him at that price. Some may be rebuilding and expect that he won’t be worth even his discounted price by the time they’re ready to contend. Others may be up against the cap and either unable or unwilling to make the moves required to fit him under it. Still others may decide that he simply doesn’t meet their needs and that they’d be better served allocating that cap space elsewhere. And that’s all just looking at how the player fits on a team’s roster - we haven’t even gotten into the question of what would be expected to go back the other way.

The point is there are very few realistic cases where every team in the league would take anybody, even with zero acquisition cost. The exception is star players on their ELCs as any team could free up the required cap space simply by waiving a lesser player on their roster. For instance everybody would obviously take Bedard for free. But with Huberdeau, or McDavid, or any other player with a substantial cap hit, there will almost always be at least one team that can’t use him for one reason or another.

Yes, every team would take him. They may not value him the most and see more value in trading him but they'd still be all over it.

There's a lot of players that every team would want, those players just will naturally go to the teams that need them most.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yes, every team would take him. They may not value him the most and see more value in trading him but they'd still be all over it.

There's a lot of players that every team would want, those players just will naturally go to the teams that need them most.

I’d suggest re-reading my post and trying again. As I already said not every team would be able to take him even if they wanted to - you do realize that there’s a salary cap, right? That for a team to flip Huberdeau they would still be required to fit him in under the cap first? Maybe it would be doable in the offseason when teams can go 10% over, but even then depending on how the timing works with offseason LTIR there may be some teams that still can’t do it.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I’d suggest re-reading my post and trying again. As I already said not every team would be able to take him even if they wanted to - you do realize that there’s a salary cap, right? That for a team to flip Huberdeau they would still be required to fit him in under the cap first? Maybe it would be doable in the offseason when teams can go 10% over, but even then depending on how the timing works with offseason LTIR there may be some teams that still can’t do it.

You figure it out, trade someone back, get a 3rd team involved.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
To think back and remember that most Flames fans thought this was a great extension. Crazy. This situation will age like milk sitting on a counter. And this is only year one. Still 7 more to go.

Reactions: Devonator

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Columbus would take Huberdeau, probably, but Johnny wouldn't approve going back the other direction. He came east and back to the US for a reason, even if Columbus wasn't his first choice.

Yeah I just wonder if there would be a moment where he looks on Calgary more favourably after some time away. But the way the Flames have been, probably not.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Funny how people crapping on a player who has about 700 points in 760 career games
you know, almost ppg player, who just over 12 months ago, by many accounts here,
was one of the best players in the NHL...

Had more assists in a single season since... not to mention LW's...
4 season totals;, over 100 goals and about 350 points, in 286 games

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Funny how people crapping on a player who has about 700 points in 760 career games
you know, almost ppg player, who just over 12 months ago, by many accounts here,
was one of the best players in the NHL...

Had more assists in a single season since... not to mention LW's...
4 season totals;, over 100 goals and about 350 points, in 286 games

That's a long long time ago in nhl time. Guys literally go from studs to duds yearly

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
Problem is you won't get Willy that cheap.

Unless the Flames retain at least 20-25 % Habs easily pass.
Why wouldn't you be able to sign him for close to 10 million. Rumor had it he was asking for 9-10 million. Yes his start may change that but I don't think so. He likes it in TO and the Leafs can offer that extra year. I think 10 would get it done.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You figure it out, trade someone back, get a 3rd team involved.

So you’re saying that every team in the league would willingly tear its roster apart for a player it doesn’t want and can’t afford? Yeah, clearly reading your posts is a waste of my time. I’m done with you.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
So you’re saying that every team in the league would willingly tear its roster apart for a player it doesn’t want and can’t afford? Yeah, clearly reading your posts is a waste of my time. I’m done with you.
Yes, if you can get a cheap asset you figure it out. Glad I could sort that out for you.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Why wouldn't you be able to sign him for close to 10 million. Rumor had it he was asking for 9-10 million. Yes his start may change that but I don't think so. He likes it in TO and the Leafs can offer that extra year. I think 10 would get it done.
Not a chance he signs for less than 11 mil if he keeps up his current pace.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Consensus seems to be:
At 10.500 he has negative value
At 5.250 he has positive value

I'm curious to see what number people think he has 'neutral' value at. Basically, how high can his cap hit be for least a few teams to consider trading him straight up for future considerations.

I tend to think the Flames would have to eat at least 3.000 for someone to bite.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Asking your leading scorer to accept being paid the 4th most among forwards on the team is a hard sell at best.

Reactions: ole ole

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Taking out his two years in Calgary and his big outlier year in Florida, he was still a point per game player overall in the previous 5 years, so I would absolutely take him at 5.25M. Given that he's not really bringing much to the table outside of that scoring, I think the most I could stomach for him is about 8M, though I'd prefer getting it down to 7.5M. Of course that's just now. I don't want him when he's 37 at that number.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I’d take him at full cap on the Penguins depending on what it costs.

Pens would have to gut their roster for him. No way would they take him full cap unless it came with a 1rst attached.

Id move Jake for a 1rst plus and take Huberdeau with a first for acciari to make the cap work.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pens would have to gut their roster for him. No way would they take him full cap unless it came with a 1rst attached.

Id move Jake for a 1rst plus and take Huberdeau with a first for acciari to make the cap work.

I don’t see Huberdeau being moved in season so basically we’d take him next year and take a package with him back.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I don’t see Huberdeau being moved in season so basically we’d take him next year and take a package with him back.

I would do it in the offseason for sure if they could pull a first with him. Jake and Carter coming off the books pay for him and the first would be good for the rebuild coming. They only need Huberdeau to be good for a couple years.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Hell even Chicago would take him.

They could flip him with 50% more retained and get a haul or let him play with Bedard to help his development while they rebuild.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Probably the best the Flames can do at the moment is to use Hanafin, Tanev or Zadorov as sweeteners to move Huberdeau.

That way they can up-anchor and move forward to try to right their listing ship.

1700152435793.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad