Value of: Would Any Team Take Huberdeau @ 5.25M Per Season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Calgary is facing paying the full freight of Huberdeau's Franchise-crushing Mega contract for years to come.

Would any team take Huberdeau's contract @ 50% retained or would the Flames still have to add a sweetener?

What would it take to move him besides a miracle?

Just deal him back to Florida for Bob. Retain on Bob

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
At 50% retention you'd like get 2 first rounders or a first rounder and prospect the equivalent of a 1st rounder. He's got excellent value at 5.25m

The issue is selling the Flames on retaining that much, for that long. That's a hard sell even though they should look into it.

Could the Flames be better off with 2 first rounders plus 5.25m cap space to weaponize vs Hubby @ 10.5? Absolutely. Just hard to hold 5.25m in dead cap space that long.

Treliving really boned the Flames on his way out the door. Even as an Oil fan this fact doesn't please me. We've had Holland do the same thing to us with Nurse + Campbell.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
The sentimental Habs send a modified-accepted Anderson and Dvorak ($9.95) for him straight up and they call it a wash. Put him with Suzuki and Caufield and it's the 'ol Gloria! I can hear it now...

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
No thanks pay Willy the 9-10 million. For an extra 1 or 2 million who would you rather have? Hub is better than he's been showing but Willy is on another level. Question is does he keep it up or even close to how he's playing or is this play because he's in his final year? regardless Willy can take over a game Hubs can't so I would keep Nylander.
Problem is you won't get Willy that cheap.

The sentimental Habs send a modified-accepted Anderson and Dvorak ($9.95) for him straight up and they call it a wash. Put him with Suzuki and Caufield and it's the 'ol Gloria! I can hear it now...
Unless the Flames retain at least 20-25 % Habs easily pass.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Yeah seems like he'd be better suited playing alongside a Kadri or Backlund. Obviously Lindholm is their best C and you'd like your $10.5M playmaker to be able to mesh with anyone, but that simply isn't the case with Huberdeau. Not sure how they get him going because they for sure aren't about to retain half of that contract.

Him and Kadri are somehow even worse. Kadri likes the puck and doesn't pass. Seems to work well with guys that like to go get it from the corner and make ugly plays.

Backlund had the best chemistry with Huberdeau, problem is Backlund can't finish and gets thrown in defensive situations which isn't where you want him. So ya, three centers and non of them seem to work with Huberdeau.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
A lot of players come to St Louis and play their best hockey because there isn’t much pressure from the fans and media. He could possibly be a good fit there. Probably not until the off season though because of salary.

Reactions: Ignatius

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He has a better chance at the Art Ross this year than anyone convincing the Flames ownership to retain 50% for that long.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Easily, my ass. You have 6 or so in space. You were trying to give Dvorak away. The guy is a star.
Ya a 10 .5 mil 7 pts in 14 games star. Hopefully the Bruins trade for him and his 10+ mil$ contract.

He has a better chance at the Art Ross this year than anyone convincing the Flames ownership to retain 50% for that long.
He has a better shot at the Art Ross than any team taking him at his full cap hit.

Reactions: Devonator

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't see a path to a Huberdeau trade. He's deadweight. Flames can't retain what it would require to dump him. 50% retention is ridiculous - Flames would never do that.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I can only see him being moved if a team had a similar bad contract and wanted to swap and maybe have both teams cross their fingers it fits. Kinda like the Neal for Lucic trade. Retention might still be needed but depending on the contract going back.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Hey, listen, Jonathan Huberdeau is not Craig Conroy's problem unless he does something really, really stupid like retain five million bucks a year for the next seven-plus years.

Then that would be his problem.

Until then, none of this is his doing.

Reactions: HabsQC

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Calgary is facing paying the full freight of Huberdeau's Franchise-crushing Mega contract for years to come.

Would any team take Huberdeau's contract @ 50% retained or would the Flames still have to add a sweetener?

What would it take to move him besides a miracle?

I bet Florida would take him back at 50%.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
If you retain 50% and have to pay 5ish million to replace him, what's the point? Unless he's so bad you can replace him for cheap, or bad for the locker room, it doesn't make much sense.
But that's how most buyouts are.

Trading Huberdeau and retaining 5 million is about removing the negative energy of the contract and player from the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad