Value of: Would Any Team Take Huberdeau @ 5.25M Per Season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Every team in the league would take him at 5.25

Silly thread

And Calgary would 100% never do it.
The return would have to be ridiculous for Calgary to retain that much. Teams would be interested but unwilling to pay that much.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Not a fan of either team, but just looking at season stats, would a trade like Huberdeau + for Gaudreau be a possibility? Gaudreau obviously had his best years in Calgary, gives Huberdeau a fresh start. The plus for the Flames would be to make the difference in salary and term.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I understand people jumping on the "calgary would never do" stance, but is this the best solution?

If you think Huberdeau is still a good player but not worth 10.5M, keeping him could make sense. Or if you thinknits a Jeff Skinner situation.

But the guy is already 30, starting an 8 years contract. EIGHT years.

If you believe he's gonna be cooked sooner than later, and Calgary is already not competitive... wouldnt that 5M cap savings be pretty useful 4-8 years down the road?

Additionally, each bad year from Huberdeau will just make his value tank more and more. Will a team be willing to get him a 5M in 4 years if he doesnt pick it up?

Im knowingly ignoring the "real money" aspect of the situation, which also plays a role. But, from a cap and team building perspective, Huberdeau just seems like a terrible anchor to carry around.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Calgary is facing paying the full freight of Huberdeau's Franchise-crushing Mega contract for years to come.

Would any team take Huberdeau's contract @ 50% retained or would the Flames still have to add a sweetener?

What would it take to move him besides a miracle?

I'd gladly trade you the Avs 1st round picks in 2024 and 2025 for this player at 50% retained. Gotta send you Johansen to balance the AAVs some.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I saw an article the other day, the Flames are actually looking to acquire players for huberdeau to play with

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Huberdeau is certainly worth 5.25 on a long term contract. A fair AAV for him is in the 8.0 range
I am not analytics guy nor a cap expert, but I need too ask if a team gets him at 50% and decides to move him at a later time can they retain on their 50% ? I know it is probably not a smart question, but I never claimed to be the smartest guy in a small room.

Reactions: Devonator

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I saw an article the other day, the Flames are actually looking to acquire players for huberdeau to play with

Sure they are, the contract isn't going anywhere and the other three lines are solid

Him and Lindholm just do not work and having our highest paid guy and our best center not work just ruins the whole offense.

Like a lesser overall player than Lindholm that likes to carry the puck into the zone might actually improve the team. Huberdeau needs to be on a second line with a center that carries the puck into the zone

Bond

May 10, 2012
I understand people jumping on the "calgary would never do" stance, but is this the best solution?

If you think Huberdeau is still a good player but not worth 10.5M, keeping him could make sense. Or if you thinknits a Jeff Skinner situation.

But the guy is already 30, starting an 8 years contract. EIGHT years.

If you believe he's gonna be cooked sooner than later, and Calgary is already not competitive... wouldnt that 5M cap savings be pretty useful 4-8 years down the road?

Additionally, each bad year from Huberdeau will just make his value tank more and more. Will a team be willing to get him a 5M in 4 years if he doesnt pick it up?

Im knowingly ignoring the "real money" aspect of the situation, which also plays a role. But, from a cap and team building perspective, Huberdeau just seems like a terrible anchor to carry around.
Why would they retain on Huberdeau's contract now? It will probably be 5 years minimum until they are good again. May as well gamble that once the pressure is off he can rebound a little and retain a more reasonable amount like Karlsson.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I am not analytics guy nor a cap expert, but I need too ask if a team gets him at 50% and decides to move him at a later time can they retain on their 50% ? I know it is probably not a smart question, but I never claimed to be the smartest guy in a small room.
I think we have seen double retention a few times (up to a max of 50% per team or a total of 75% retention)

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Calgary just needs to sign less grinders and get him some talent that can play with him. He isn't cooked, he just doesn't have anyone to feed the puck to that is equally creative. He had bloody Barkov in Florida.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Why would they retain on Huberdeau's contract now? It will probably be 5 years minimum until they are good again. May as well gamble that once the pressure is off he can rebound a little and retain a more reasonable amount like Karlsson.

Well thats the thing - does he look good? Karlsson looked really good in SJ but was bugged by injuries more than anything, and was on a terrible team.

Huberdeau is looking really bad on his terrible team right now.

And Karlsson has pedigree as the best defenseman in the league - arguably of his generation (at least offensively). Huberdeau, as good as he was with the Panthers, doesnt come with the same history.

So the question is... if you expect him to rebound, try that. But if he looks terrible, do you take that gamble? At 10.5M its very difficult. At 5M, a team might not mind rolling the dice

Bond

May 10, 2012
So the question is... if you expect him to rebound, try that. But if he looks terrible, do you take that gamble? At 10.5M its very difficult. At 5M, a team might not mind rolling the dice
Pick Skinner then he looked absolutely cooked and then bounced back. That is besides the point, why would the Flames retain 50% on Huberdeau now when they don't need the cap space. By the time they are good Kadri's contract will be done and Weegar might be traded. The Stars are riding out the Benn and Sequin contracts just fine and the Flames can do the same.

Evergreen

I think Washington would jump at the chance to grab a playmaker for Ovy at that price. But it would be stupid for the Flames to retain that much for that long.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If you retain 50% and have to pay 5ish million to replace him, what's the point? Unless he's so bad you can replace him for cheap, or bad for the locker room, it doesn't make much sense.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Pick Skinner then he looked absolutely cooked and then bounced back. That is besides the point, why would the Flames retain 50% on Huberdeau now when they don't need the cap space. By the time they are good Kadri's contract will be done and Weegar might be traded. The Stars are riding out the Benn and Sequin contracts just fine and the Flames can do the same.

The difference being that Benn and Seguin are still playing solid hockey on a solid team (contender even, arguably?). And their contract will be done soon (on or before 35 years old). If they were cooked, those contracts would be dragging the team down pretty badly.

"by the time they are good" Huberdeau will be a net 10.5M handicap on the salary chart. Why not make it a net 5M handicap while you still can?

Imo he ends up like Suter/Parise in Minnesota. Bought out because he's worth more off the team than on.

Which sucks, because I don't think anyone saw the signs of such a crash so quickly. Everyone knew it would be a bad contract, just not THAT bad.

Maybe you should be asking how would the Flames ever replace a guy who has played 14 games, has 7 points and a minus 13 for under 5 Schmill?

is this sarcastic? I wouldn't say it's easy to replace this offensive production under 5M, but it is.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Calgary is facing paying the full freight of Huberdeau's Franchise-crushing Mega contract for years to come.

Would any team take Huberdeau's contract @ 50% retained or would the Flames still have to add a sweetener?

What would it take to move him besides a miracle?

This is a loaded question. No team would ever retain 5M+ on an 8 years contract, so over 40M in total. Unrealistic to the point that it shouldn’t even be discussed.

And even if they hypothetically would, I still don’t think there’d be any interest or value in him.

Even at 5.25, 8 years way is too risky for how bad looks right now.

If his contract was 2-3 years in length someone would prob take a chance but no way at 8 years.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Sure they are, the contract isn't going anywhere and the other three lines are solid

Him and Lindholm just do not work and having our highest paid guy and our best center not work just ruins the whole offense.

Like a lesser overall player than Lindholm that likes to carry the puck into the zone might actually improve the team. Huberdeau needs to be on a second line with a center that carries the puck into the zone

Yeah seems like he'd be better suited playing alongside a Kadri or Backlund. Obviously Lindholm is their best C and you'd like your $10.5M playmaker to be able to mesh with anyone, but that simply isn't the case with Huberdeau. Not sure how they get him going because they for sure aren't about to retain half of that contract.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Stop with this ridiculous hypothetical.

Would easily take a cap dump for shorter term but there will be no retention on that contract. None whatsoever. Pretty laughable.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
7 more yrs after this season at 5.25m and he's already 30 , even at 50 % retention this deal won't age well

i'm also not interested in a guy who didn't like going to Calgary but still went for the bag of cash and then packed it in , he should have just told them he wasn't going to re-sign at the time of the trade , busted his ass the last year of his deal and picked his destination as a ufa

he f***ed himself so f*** him , if his play doesn't pick up sit in the press box for 5-10 games and see if that'll wake him up

Last edited:
Reactions: ForsbergForever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad