Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meetings: Because there's no more fitting time to talk baseball than December

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Price wanted to re-sign in Toronto, but they didn't even offer him a contract?

LOL!!!!!

They didn't simply get outbid, they CHOSE NOT TO EVEN OFFER HIM A CONTRACT!

What a bunch of pathetic losers!

Ed Rogers and Mark Shapiro deserve a turd for Christmas.

I can't believe that. Oh wait, yes I can. What a bunch of **** losers! Just wow!

So they should waste their time posting an offer when they know the Red Sox, and potentially Giants/Dodgers outbid them within minutes? Yup, makes a LOT of sense.

Did Shapiro/Atkins actually say the pitching roster is set?

Stroman, Estrada, Happ, Dickey, Chavez ?

Seriously we won't be in the playoffs next year. And the bullpen is even worse with losing Hendriks.

Should have used Dickey's money towards a setup man or two and promoted Sanchez back to the rotation.

Hendriks is not god. He's not that good in high leverage situations, and the only reason he has good stats is because of how much his low leverage starts skew the data.

Not surprised by his agent's comments.

it's beyond something to be angry about - it's just plain embarassing. we had the best FA actually WANTING TO SIGN WITH US for the first time in franchise history and we said why bother?

what a joke.

Yes, because wanting to sign = guaranteed to sign. You consistently ignore the numbers attached to Price. Honestly, why do you even bother?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Exactly. It's just pure PR diplomacy.

I mean, as much as I dislike Greinke, at least he was ****ing honest when he said he'd go where the most money is. I at least respect him for that.

Now u r accusing Price lying. Honestly, Price just did what public figures should always do. That is be nice to people.

Would u rather have him come out and say I would never renew with TO?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
All the irrational pessimism and whining makes it really hard to have reasonable discussion in here sometimes.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Now u r accusing Price lying. Honestly, Price just did what public figures should always do. That is be nice to people.

Would u rather have him come out and say I would never renew with TO?

I'm just trying to say that it's very easy to come out and talk about how you wanted to stay after you already are gone. And being nice to people is exactly what being diplomatic is. It's good PR.

I'm not saying Price is lying and I'm not saying he's telling the truth. I'm just saying that it's in their best interests to be diplomatic and that their words shouldn't be taken as gospel.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
it's beyond something to be angry about - it's just plain embarassing. we had the best FA actually WANTING TO SIGN WITH US for the first time in franchise history and we said why bother?

what a joke.

How is that embarrassing? The Dodgers just let the Diamondbacks sign Grienke away from them. Why? Because the terms were not to their liking.

Smart teams don't let emotional factors affect their decision making. Just because Price "liked it here" (supposedly), it doesn't mean you have to bend away from your internal guidelines. If you let emotion cloud your vision, then you are lost already.

Also, Price wanted to sign here if we paid the highest amount. Stop trying to word it like he wanted to be here so badly that he was willing to look past bigger offers. He wasn't.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I'm just trying to say that it's very easy to come out and talk about how you wanted to stay after you already are gone. And being nice to people is exactly what being diplomatic is. It's good PR.

I'm not saying Price is lying and I'm not saying he's telling the truth. I'm just saying that it's in their best interests to be diplomatic and that their words shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Okay, understand what u mean.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Has anyone watched much of Chavez pitch last year? I haven't, but I did replay his last start with the A's this afternoon. I'm left wondering how he makes the Jays rotation better, but then I've only watched one game.

I've also watched Happ with the Pirates and I'm a believer. He definitely has something to offer.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I wasn't bitter about Price until his agent actually came out and said he wanted to come back. Maybe he takes less money if the Jays throw him an offer.

And now Lowe, one of their better pen arms is gone.

And all we got to show for it is garbage ass Jesse Chavez and Happ, who could very well be a fluke since Pittsburgh is magic when it comes to turning pitchers around.

Great offseason!

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I wasn't bitter about Price until his agent actually came out and said he wanted to come back. Maybe he takes less money if the Jays throw him an offer.

And all we got to show for it is garbage ass Jesse Chavez and Happ, who could very well be a fluke since Pittsburgh is magic when it comes to turning pitchers around.

Great offseason!

The worst part is the off-season is over.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Nats relationship with Paps is poisoned beyond repair. They won't pay him for the last 4 games of the season. They also have a gaping hole in CF.

Trade them Revere for Papelborn (50% salary retained). Salary-neutral move, and fills both teams needs.

Paps may be an ass, but he's one of the best closers in the game, and wouldn't be available at a discount if he was a nice guy. Also expressed interest in being a Jay last year.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
**** Papelbon too. Guy's as toxic as Fukushima in terms of the locker room.

Lowe's numbers dipped a bit with Toronto so part of me hopes this is just Shapiro not wanting to pay up for a possible decline instead of just being a cheap ****.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
**** Papelbon too. Guy's as toxic as Fukushima in terms of the locker room.

Lowe's numbers dipped a bit with Toronto so part of me hopes this is just Shapiro not wanting to pay up for a possible decline instead of just being a cheap ****.

He's a dick to be sure. But we've got a veteran team with a lot of leadership so it shouldn't be much of an issue here. His personality wasn't an issue in Boston, and wasn't a big issue in Philly (other than with some fans, but Philly fans are the worst human beings on the planet).

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
He's a dick to be sure. But we've got a veteran team with a lot of leadership so it shouldn't be much of an issue here. His personality wasn't an issue in Boston, and wasn't a big issue in Philly (other than with some fans, but Philly fans are the worst human beings on the planet).

Wait until he gets into Bautista's face for bat flipping, or Encarnacion's for not hustling down the first base line on a ground ball, or gets Donaldson thrown at because he decided to throw at an opponent for pimping a home run earlier in the series. No thanks

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Great offseason!
Price signed with a team he hated. It's pretty obvious he was going to the highest bidder no matter who it was. He wasn't taking a discount, 99.9% of players won't and don't do that. He was all about the money, that's all that mattered. People need to get over that.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nats relationship with Paps is poisoned beyond repair. They won't pay him for the last 4 games of the season. They also have a gaping hole in CF.

Trade them Revere for Papelborn (50% salary retained). Salary-neutral move, and fills both teams needs.

Paps may be an ass, but he's one of the best closers in the game, and wouldn't be available at a discount if he was a nice guy. Also expressed interest in being a Jay last year.
He's a fantastic player but I wouldn't want that guy anywhere near my club. It's only a matter of time before he becomes a headache.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Honestly I understand the need to spread the money and get a good all-around bullpen, but its like Rogers came into this Offseason wanting to bulldoze any interest the casual fan might have in the Blue Jays. I'll admit I don't know the most about baseball, but why on god's green earth would you take a team with this much offensive power and do so little to help them? Happ's signing is not encouraging at all, it's a giant risk, the comments from Price only make his departure sting even more, and nothing has been done to address the bottom end of the Jays batting rotation which played its own role in costing the Jays games. Are contact hitters that rare to come across? Did you really need Smoak that bad? Why not hang onto Lowe? He was solid for us.

The GM search is even more frustrating, why Atkins? Nothing in his resume jumps out as a great GM or teambuilder. Just mindboggling. But its Rogers and SPORTSNET needs those Hockey Night in Canada viewers, better kill any interest in another sport to make sure hockey fans stay tuned to the TV. If anyone could point me to some resources to better understand baseball, or baseball teambuilding, please do share. It seemed like an interesting sport to watch once I got a grasp of the numbers but I'd be lying if I said this offseason hasn't killed my interest.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Honestly I understand the need to spread the money and get a good all-around bullpen, but its like Rogers came into this Offseason wanting to bulldoze any interest the casual fan might have in the Blue Jays. I'll admit I don't know the most about baseball, but why on god's green earth would you take a team with this much offensive power and do so little to help them? Happ's signing is not encouraging at all, it's a giant risk, the comments from Price only make his departure sting even more, and nothing has been done to address the bottom end of the Jays batting rotation which played its own role in costing the Jays games. Are contact hitters that rare to come across? Did you really need Smoak that bad? Why not hang onto Lowe? He was solid for us.

Just mindboggling. But its Rogers and SPORTSNET needs those Hockey Night in Canada viewers, better kill any interest in another sport to make sure hockey fans stay tuned to the TV.
The last part is just silly. Rogers wants people watching whatever the hell they're playing. The suits don't care whether it's hockey,baseball or darts. The more eyes on the screen, the more money they make. Baseball and hockey are also played in different seasons, they're not reality competing with each other. Rogers also owns the Jays, it makes zero sense to want the Jays to fail. If anything people should be upset that all that revenue made last year off the Jays went directly to their investors, not one dime is going to payroll. Rogers has stated this publicly. They just don't see the Jays as something worth putting more money into.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
The last part is just silly. Rogers wants people watching whatever the hell they're playing. The suits don't care whether it's hockey,baseball or darts. The more eyes on the screen, the more money they make. Baseball and hockey are also played in different seasons, they're not reality competing with each other. Rogers also owns the Jays, it makes zero sense to want the Jays to fail. If anything people should be upset that all that revenue made last year off the Jays went directly to their investors, not one dime is going to payroll. Rogers has stated this publicly. They just don't see the Jays as something worth putting more money into.

Yeah, just frustrated as a fan is all. Feels so hopeless cheering for Toronto teams. I really didn't need to know that last part haha. It seems asinine that you have a city that hasn't had a competitive team in any of its respective sports in a dozen or so years and you decide that once you finally get a team that can go deep and a fanbase that sold out a ton fo games (what was it, the last 20 or so games?) you deicde its not worth putting money into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad