Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meetings: Because there's no more fitting time to talk baseball than December

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Zeke did you watch Sanchez at the end of the year? Guy just suddenly emerged. Now there is no guarantee that this is a permanent change, but might be.

With the US buck at insane levels versus the Canadian buck again, we are at a disadvantage, and we have a so -so owner in Rogers.

David Price, to me, is about to go on a serious decline, maybe even starting this year, and for him not to get an offer, to me sugests that Mutt and Jeff(Shapiro and Atkins) suspect this.

He is a good pitcher, but doesn't appear to have great stuff. I think he is strong mentally during the regular season, capable of high mental performance. Once he gets into the playoffs, everyone is tuned to that level and he doesn't seem as dominant.

Anyways that is my theory, I am sure you don't agree, but its mine.

I think anyone with an accountants background can see that even though we had a playoff deep run, the money that Rogers made from that run wouldn't even cover David Price's yearly salary. Sort of fugged up.

The guy is also 30 years old pretty old for a pitcher. No way I would have chased him, because he is old, I see decline coming soon and that is stupid money.

I know no one wants to hear about this kind of stuff when they are a sports fan, but we had a lot of guys who could just suddenly decline all of a sudden. E.E. Bautista, Tulowitzki(did we already see the start of that at the plate) and even possibly Donaldson.

Talking heads like Shapiro love building from the bottom up, and so yeah, everyone who wants success this year, should be very, very afraid of him getting anything of great promise in the off season. Probably just not going to happen, heck, be grateful for Happ, and possibly satisfied with Chavez.

If the team comes anywhere close to last year, well, a LOT of things are going to have to line up. A lot.

Luckily, the Jays have just as many players who could all of a sudden break out, like Stroman and Sanchez and Osuna and Travis and Pompey.

This is just negativity for negativity's sake. Take a look at the roster; this is a really, really good team.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I would love to get Heyward. To me he's the perfect player to overpay for because he's only 26. Give him great money for 5 years which allows him to cash in with a huge retirement contract at 31/32 with some other team. The Jays can't keep Jose in RF forever. Pipe dream, but at least he'd be an everyday player unlike a SP. A 6+ WAR player, you can justify giving $20-24m to him per year.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
I would love to get Heyward. To me he's the perfect player to overpay for because he's only 26. Give him great money for 5 years which allows him to cash in with a huge retirement contract at 31/32 with some other team. The Jays can't keep Jose in RF forever. Pipe dream, but at least he'd be an everyday player unlike a SP.

I agree. Then one of Bautista\Incarnation for a SP.

Somebody say Lowe signed, with who? I missed it...

Not confirmed but Detroit...

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Surprised no one has posted this yet.

Ken Rosenthal – Verified account ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

BREAKING: #Dodgers agree to acquire Chapman from #Reds for two prospects. Deal is pending review of medical records, sources say.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
A good starting rotation to be competitive should be this:

Stroman, Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, Dickey

That leave a bullpen with many holes:

Osuna, Cecil, Chavez, Loup. Plenty of holes.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Surprised no one has posted this yet.

Ken Rosenthal – Verified account ‏@Ken_Rosenthal

BREAKING: #Dodgers agree to acquire Chapman from #Reds for two prospects. Deal is pending review of medical records, sources say.

Two prospects not named Urias, Seager or De Leon.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
A good starting rotation to be competitive should be this:

Stroman, Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, Dickey

That leave a bullpen with many holes:

Osuna, Cecil, Chavez, Loup. Plenty of holes.

I would be more comfortable with Hutch in the rotation and Sanchez in the bullpen to start the season.

There are a handful of bullpen options with reasonable upside in the system. If they bring in one or two relievers through free agency or trades, I'll be happy with the team heading into the season.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Iwakuma to the Dodgers for a hair over Happ money.

$3 million per year on a three year term, plus they gave up a draft pick that would be worth several million more, plus the Jays probably would have had to pay him a couple million more per year since, in the past, at least, he's preferred to stay on the west coast.

I would have been very happy with Iwakuma, but it's not exactly apples to apples here.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
$3 million per year on a three year term, plus they gave up a draft pick that would be worth several million more, plus the Jays probably would have had to pay him a couple million more per year since, in the past, at least, he's preferred to stay on the west coast.

I would have been very happy with Iwakuma, but it's not exactly apples to apples here.

Ya forgot about the 1st.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
First or not, that Iwakuma deal is miles better than the Happ deal. We get a maybe 1.5 WAR guy for 12 mil, Dodgers get a 3 WAR guy for 15 mil.

Friedman is fking good.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Jays need to wait it out when it comes to the bullpen. Prices are silly because everyone is trying to follow in the Royals footsteps. set up men shouldn't be getting 8 million. I'd have a hard enough time paying a closer 8 million...

Lots of failed starters around baseball who could be converted into good bullpen arms. All the jays have to do is find them like they did last year with Hendriks.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
First or not, that Iwakuma deal is miles better than the Happ deal. We get a maybe 1.5 WAR guy for 12 mil, Dodgers get a 3 WAR guy for 15 mil.

Friedman is fking good.

So ignoring the first (which is stupid, obviously), the Jays would still have to pay more to get him to leave the west coast.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
So ignoring the first (which is stupid, obviously), the Jays would still have to pay more to get him to leave the west coast.

How do you know that? Do you have any evidence at all that Iwakuma had a hard preference for the Dodgers?

The speculation was that Price wanted to play in LA too. Turns out he'd rather have played in Toronto.

You always seem to have an excuse for the Jays, Discoverer. Without fail.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

Friedman is fking good.

Friedman is fking good? perhaps....but he has unlimited payroll yet lost out on Price/Grienke. If the jays had that kind of payroll and settled for Iwakuma.....I don't think too many jays fans would be happy. Hell the dodgers could've easily signed Price/Grienke and Iwakuma with plenty left over to buy the multi billion dollar ship wreck found off columbia.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Friedman is fking good? perhaps....but he has unlimited payroll yet lost out on Price/Grienke. If the jays had that kind of payroll and settled for Iwakuma.....I don't think too many jays fans would be happy. Hell the dodgers could've easily signed Price/Grienke and Iwakuma with plenty left over to buy the multi billion dollar ship wreck found off columbia.

They lost Greinke and got Iwakuma + Chapman to help them dry their tears. 6 WAR out, 6 WAR in, roughly.

We lost Price and got Happ and Chavez. 6 WAR out, 3 WAR in (if we're very lucky).

Yeah, he's got bottomless pockets, but Friedman is allocating his funds wisely.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
How do you know that? Do you have any evidence at all that Iwakuma had a hard preference for the Dodgers?

The speculation was that Price wanted to play in LA too. Turns out he'd rather have played in Toronto.

You always seem to have an excuse for the Jays, Discoverer. Without fail.

Dating back to 2010, when he first broke into the MLB, Iwakuma was said to have preference for West Coast teams, and that it would influence which team he would sign with. Consider that he signed with the Mariners, and now the Dodgers and there's strong evidence to conclude that he wants to stay in the West Coast.

You're reading way too much into that Price PR nonsense.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
They lost Greinke and got Iwakuma + Chapman to help them dry their tears. 6 WAR out, 6 WAR in, roughly.

We lost Price and got Happ and Chavez. 6 WAR out, 3 WAR in (if we're very lucky).

Yeah, he's got bottomless pockets, but Friedman is allocating his funds wisely.

That's silly..Price didn't give us 6 WAR last season. There's no "6 WAR" void we need to fill just 'cus we had Price for a couple of months. Everyone except the new fans knew Price wasn't part of our future plans after this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad