Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Meetings: Because there's no more fitting time to talk baseball than December

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Thats got to be a big kick in the nuts for the Red Sox. He wanted to go somewhere else but couldn't so had to settle for them. It almost seems like someone who was in the organization is pulling a hissy fit and using the media to try and hit them for the Price issue.

Why would the Red Sox care? He picked them in the end. He'll be winning games for them not us.

I would like to hear what someone like Bautista thinks, a guy whos been vocal in the past for not going for it at the deadline. Finally get an ace then just let him go when its now rumored he wanted to come back. Wont be surprising when he tests free agency.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Other teams in the MLB seen how KC dealt with TO....in 2016 it won't be so easy for the Jays bats.
With the pitching roster "set" according to the GM,I'm more than a little concerned for the Jays.

How long have Jose, Edwin and Donaldson been in the league? Yea I don't think pitching low and away is a groundbreaking pitching philosophy.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
Did Shapiro/Atkins actually say the pitching roster is set?

Stroman, Estrada, Happ, Dickey, Chavez ?

Seriously we won't be in the playoffs next year. And the bullpen is even worse with losing Hendriks.

Should have used Dickey's money towards a setup man or two and promoted Sanchez back to the rotation.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Price wanted to re-sign in Toronto, but they didn't even offer him a contract?

LOL!!!!!

They didn't simply get outbid, they CHOSE NOT TO EVEN OFFER HIM A CONTRACT!

What a bunch of pathetic losers!

Ed Rogers and Mark Shapiro deserve a turd for Christmas.

I can't believe that. Oh wait, yes I can. What a bunch of **** losers! Just wow!

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
That's kind of my thing. People get hung up on "the Jays didn't make an offer", but really, knowing what we knew then and know now about the price tag to sign him, was there even a point in making an offer you know had basically zero chance of consideration? Why come to the table with a contract that's, say, $23-24m a year over 5 years, even with a bunch of opt-outs, if you know that some dumb, panicky team with more dollars than sense are going to just blow you out of water on principle/to prove they can?
Yah, its just pointless really. I don't see any agent actively telling their client to take less money, even if Toronto was his preferred destination. Oh well, its time to move on and hope the Jays beat up on Price in every game they play against him. He plays for a rival , no point in thinking about what ifs

Other teams in the MLB seen how KC dealt with TO....in 2016 it won't be so easy for the Jays bats.
With the pitching roster "set" according to the GM,I'm more than a little concerned for the Jays.
I don't see how next season will be any different . The Jays played 162 games last season, I think thats more than enough to find out what the Jays are strongest at and weakest at. I mean, the Jays did get 7 and 11 runs against the Royals in their wins so even if Kansas "exposed" the Jays they still beat up on them in their wins.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

LOL!!!!!

I can't believe that. Oh wait, yes I can. What a bunch of **** losers! Just wow!

*Price wanted to re-sign in Toronto for 31 million per year for 7 years.

He wasn't going to take a hometown discount to stay in town, sorry to say.

They didn't actually

Better than what the Jays were sending to the mound for the majority of last year.

With more depth too.

Seriously we won't be in the playoffs next year.

Playoffs are still very much achievable considering the strength of the offence and the defense making the pitchers generally look better than they are.

And the bullpen is even worse with losing Hendriks.

Oh no, we lost a middle reliever! Whatever will we do! It's not like they are dime-a-dozen.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Seriously we won't be in the playoffs next year. And the bullpen is even worse with losing Hendriks.

Should have used Dickey's money towards a setup man or two and promoted Sanchez back to the rotation.

No they didn't say it was set.

And why would they put Sanchez back in the rotation? He hasn't shown that he is a starter.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

LOL!!!!!

Price rejected 180 million , why does it matter had the Jays not offered him a contract? You know they wouldn't offer over 200 million and you know it would't be worth putting all that money into Price when the Jays needed rotation help and needed more depth for their roster. The money needed to be spread out more which means signing Price simply wasn't feasible . I don't see how that makes them "pathetic losers" when the team has more needs than just one, this isn't how you build a team to win. You handicap this team by giving out 30+ million a year for 1 pitcher. While I have my doubts about the rotation, they helped the rotation more by re-signing Estrada, bringing back Dickey, signing Happ and trading for Chavez which is about what? 40 million for 4 starting pitchers? . If they signed Price that means potentially only having Price, Stroman, and Hutch as your guaranteed starters for next year. Even if you add in Sanchez, you hurt your bullpen more and seeing as so much money is tied up in Price, you go into next season with an even weaker bullpen and a questionable rotation. I know people want to be big spenders but even when you are doing that, you have to be smart with your investments and signing Price to 25m+ wouldn't help the Jays at all to contend for next year.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Price and his agent is just playing nice. Would you rather have them say, Toronto was never in their considerations.
As for the offer, I doubt Price will take 20mil over 7yrs or 25mil over 7yrs.
Kind of have to face reality that the Jays can't afford high price FA bc the team has a budget and the fact that Rogers have tons of Billions has nothing to do with it.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's funny because if the Jays were to have offered Price a contract and he didn't accept it then people would still be coming out of the woodworks and saying they are still cheap for not trying hard enough.

Sorry, but, there were only two formal offers mentioned and the Red Sox were 30+ million ahead of the 2nd place Cards.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not surprised by his agent's comments.

it's beyond something to be angry about - it's just plain embarassing. we had the best FA actually WANTING TO SIGN WITH US for the first time in franchise history and we said why bother?

what a joke.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Price would of been nice but I will not be happy until they add another arm to the rotation and 2 in the bull pen.

Another LHP in the bullpen plus bringing back someone like Lowe would do wonders for this team.

it's beyond something to be angry about - it's just plain embarassing. we had the best FA actually WANTING TO SIGN WITH US for the first time in franchise history and we said why bother?

what a joke.

I never knew Grenke wanted to sign with the Jays?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

what a joke.

Why did no other team get into a bidding war with the Red Sox?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Also, what makes everyone so certain Price and his agent aren't just trying to be diplomatic and that it's just a pure PR move to say you didn't wanna go?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I suspect Beeston is drumming up **** behind the scenes using the media to criticize everything Shapiro. A coincidence the media has been absolutely atrocious of late? I recall he was pretty pissed off last year when they tried to hire a new President and I wouldn't put it past him to be so petty after the whole Boras feud.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
the cards did. i hear their management is pretty clever.

Offering a ~180m contract and losing handedly is considered a bidding war?

Don't be so naive in thinking that Price would have stayed if they offered him the same contract that the Cards did.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I suspect Beeston is drumming up **** behind the scenes using the media to criticize everything Shapiro. A coincidence the media has been absolutely atrocious of late? I recall he was pretty pissed off last year when they tried to hire a new President and I wouldn't put it past him to be so petty after the whole Boras feud.

That's exactly what's going on. Especially since Beeston has tons of connections around the league as well.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's pretty easy to say you'd go back somewhere when you just signed a deal that will pay you 1 million bucks every 10 days.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's pretty easy to say you'd go back somewhere when you just signed a deal that will pay you 1 million bucks every 10 days.

Exactly. It's just pure PR diplomacy.

I mean, as much as I dislike Greinke, at least he was ****ing honest when he said he'd go where the most money is. I at least respect him for that.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I never knew Grenke wanted to sign with the Jays?

Price (30): 4.8war/32gs career, 6.2war/32gs last 2yrs, 5.0war Steamer '16
Greinke (32): 4.4war/32gs career, 5.2war/32gs last 2yrs, 4.2war Steamer '16

and then there's the intangibles - Price has always been a team leader and loved teammate, with perfect mechanics and great fitness and work ethic which has made him the model of consistency and lessens his injury risk going forward, and has made his career in the toughest division in baseball. Greinke meanwhile is a notorius flake who has skirmished with teammates and coaches, has never taken a leadership role on a team, and whose recent success comes in the NL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad