Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
this past season was also the best team defense helle has ever seen, we get the same level of defensive play and he will easily have another high level of goals saved above expected
Team defense is accounted for (to a large extent) in the xGA number, but I get the point. Will that team defense be repeated under a new coach and new systems? We'll have to wait and see.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
i agree the Jets drafting in these round are trash. however, those 2nd and 3rd round picks could still be used to make moves for non-rentals like Tofolli.
That's fair. But how much value to teams put into those round picks.
Dillon for two 2nd’s
Niederriter for a 2nd
Namestikov for a 4th
DeMelo for 2nd

2nd and 3rd round picks do have value. Pure rentals in Winnipeg to back this core on any type of a cup run historically carry zero value. Go out and find assets with term or that we might be able to convert to roster players I think is a great investment.

Giving up 1st’s or 2nd’s to plug holes for a shot at the cup is the worst option for asset managment in Winnipeg IMO.
Fair points but I just don't see how you win a cup without bolstering your lineup going into the playoffs. Pretty much every team did it and there would have been outrage had we done nothing.

Rangers gave up
a 4th (potential 3rd)
4th
2nd
4th (potential 3rd)

Dallas gave up
4th
2nd
Conditional 3rd

Edmonton gave up
1st
4th
4th
5th

Florida gave up:
3rd
4th (potential 3rd)

Plus all the other teams no longer in the playoffs that gave up top picks. Just don't see how you expect to win the cup without filling holes and improving the roster. We were a top 5 team in the league, showed times of absolute dominance. I honestly don't know how you don't take a gamble and go for it, especially the prices we paid. We go to the finals or win the cup, I wonder if the mindset changes about giving up picks to improve the roster.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Fair points but I just don't see how you win a cup without bolstering your lineup going into the playoffs. Pretty much every team did it and there would have been outrage had we done nothing.

Rangers gave up
a 4th (potential 3rd)
4th
2nd
4th (potential 3rd)

Dallas gave up
4th
2nd
Conditional 3rd

Edmonton gave up
1st
4th
4th
5th

Florida gave up:
3rd
4th (potential 3rd)

Plus all the other teams no longer in the playoffs that gave up top picks. Just don't see how you expect to win the cup without filling holes and improving the roster. We were a top 5 team in the league, showed times of absolute dominance. I honestly don't know how you don't take a gamble and go for it, especially the prices we paid. We go to the finals or win the cup, I wonder if the mindset changes about giving up picks to improve the roster.

I don’t expect to win a cup with this core anymore that’s the biggest piece.

Here is my exception to this. If we want to buy in to what I think is the fools gold fine with one condition. We need to have the ledger balance out over time. In the years where we miss the playoffs we sell off hard to get back similar draft capital.

For the most part over time I think we have done a reasonable job with this.

In a perfect situation we trade for assets to (maybe) help for a playoff run but we get them with an extra year or extend them if they fit in.

I get that teams all “load up” I’m just not sold it helps as much as most people think. I think it can f*** over guys that got the team there and disrupt team chemistry at times. I realize I am alone in this one lol. In a market like Winnipeg where it’s tough to attract free agents I would like to be a bit more strategic.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
lots? idk. there's non-rental players that are traded for 2nds or cheaper frequently.

Rangers gave up
a 4th (potential 3rd)
4th
2nd
4th (potential 3rd)

Dallas gave up
4th
2nd
Conditional 3rd

Edmonton gave up
1st
4th
4th
5th

Florida gave up:
3rd
4th (potential 3rd)

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Just going to throw @Ponds post from February 8th-ish up here for posterity (not sure all the links are working but it is from the Flyers GDT of that date if you're curious:
www.google.ca

Jets' head coach Rick Bowness not interested in allowing power play to slip further

Head coach Rick Bowness isn't one to allow things to slip for too long, especially when it comes to the Jets' struggling power play.
www.google.ca
www.google.ca
Dug this up, eerily similar narrative surrounding the powerplay last year almost exactly to the day. Only difference being that the Jets PP had a bit of success to start the campaign in 22/23.

But there's more.

I finally got around to reading Teemu Selanne's book during the break. Two things stuck out towards the end. First thing was the reaffirmation that Bruce Boudreau has never been my cup of tea. The second was Teemu's view on what makes a great powerplay.

From page 263 "Powerplay is not science, it is an art. You trust your instincts, rely on your creativity."

If the Jets powerplay is comparable to a work of art, right now it's resembling a Banksy going through a shredder.

What was news to me was, during the last few seasons of his career, Teemu was at odds with Bruce regarding his playing time. Especially on PP1. He really emphasized his dissatisfaction not getting more minutes there. Keep in mind, even over the ripe old age of 40 Teemu could still produce. In his final NHL season, which he did not enjoy, he also played in his final Olympic tournament. He scored 4 goals and 2 assists for 6 points in 6 games and was named tournament MVP. He was no slouch fading away into the sunset. His frustration outlined in the book seemed warranted. (Despite my slight bias as I adore the fella)

What I didn't intend on figuring out was that during his tumultuous end of an NHL career in Anaheim, a certain someone was the assistant coach for the Ducks.

Brad Lauer.

Teemu never mentions him by name, as most of his anger was directed at Bruce, but I found this page interesting... (referenced above)

20240207_190544.jpg

255 powerplay goals, I'll consider his opinion. I'm not sure I've even scored that many times with my lovely wife.

then there's this...

Screenshot_20240207_193554_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240207_172339_DuckDuckGo.jpg

and then there's this...

It seems like powerplay mediocrity follows this guy wherever he goes. What makes his stint Tampa even more damning is that after being dismissed by the Lightning in 2018, they went to 3 straight Stanley Cup finals starting the next season. Winning 2. Unfortunately Rick Bowness was also let go with him.

All of this might just be a coincidence, but where there's smoke, there's a Peter Tosh album. And where there's a shite powerplay, there's Brad Lauer. I'd like nothing more than the PP to start clicking and for this post to seem like the paranoid delusions of an armchair analyst. I prefer optimism, but all signs point to this trend continuing. My assumption is it was Rick Bowness who brought Lauer in to work with him again in Winnipeg. This is where you have to start wondering if the Jets organization will rue their commitment to loyalty.

With credit to Bones, I think his system suits the Jets, when the players are buying into it. A defense first approach, with a goalie like Helle on his game, is made for playoff hockey success. Like another poster pointed out recently, just because it's a defensive style doesn't mean the Jets can't generate offensive opportunities from it. Having the best 5v5 team in the league can't be understated. Putting aside Coach Rick's flaws, he's squeezed some impressive hockey out of this group, thus far.

Despite this, someone in the Jets org needs to determine what's going on with the special teams and make a tough call, soon. If it were up to me, Brad Lauer has to go. Like it or not, pro sports is now a business and it's ethos is what have you done for me lately? Look at how long Charlie Huddy was kept around. Inexcusable. Loyalty should be granted off results.

This is wishful thinking on my part and highly unlikely, but get Teemu Selanne in to coach the powerplay. If not, someone who shares his sentiments on how to make one work.

As for tomorrow, beat Philly. Don't lose 5 in a row. Let's get the feel good factor back.

Maybe even score on the man advantage.
Well done, buggs.

This is the first good post I've read on here since the end of the season.

Note to everyone else: up your game.

Note to self: delete your account.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
#1 priority has to be special teams!

Special teams have a direct correlation with physicality and that's a big part of why we lost to Col, imho. When you have confidence in your PK you can afford to be physical and when other teams fear your PP they are afraid to take penalties. Against the Avs we were on the wrong side of that dynamic.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I don’t expect to win a cup with this core anymore that’s the biggest piece.

Here is my exception to this. If we want to buy in to what I think is the fools gold fine with one condition. We need to have the ledger balance out over time. In the years where we miss the playoffs we sell off hard to get back similar draft capital.

For the most part over time I think we have done a reasonable job with this.

In a perfect situation we trade for assets to (maybe) help for a playoff run but we get them with an extra year or extend them if they fit in.

I get that teams all “load up” I’m just not sold it helps as much as most people think. I think it can f*** over guys that got the team there and disrupt team chemistry at times. I realize I am alone in this one lol. In a market like Winnipeg where it’s tough to attract free agents I would like to be a bit more strategic.
I agree with the last paragraph. We clearly saw that with toffoli. We need to aim for guys that play the same style which is easier said than done.

Maybe I'm biased but I think this team has the talent to atleast make the finals. The way they played Nov-dec they looked unstoppable. A solid pick up at the deadline that played the way we do would have went a long way. Unfortunately no one showed up for the playoffs. Maybe that happens every year? I don't know.

lots? idk. there's non-rental players that are traded for 2nds or cheaper frequently.
We have enough Ninos on this team. We need more top end talent imo.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree with the last paragraph. We clearly saw that with toffoli. We need to aim for guys that play the same style which is easier said than done.

Maybe I'm biased but I think this team has the talent to atleast make the finals. The way they played Nov-dec they looked unstoppable. A solid pick up at the deadline that played the way we do would have went a long way. Unfortunately no one showed up for the playoffs. Maybe that happens every year? I don't know.

We have enough Ninos on this team. We need more top end talent imo.

I applaud your optimism.

For me I have seen this same movie every post season, its like groundhogs day. Our playoffs have ended the same way in 5 out of 6 seasons. We lose the last four games strait which is an alarming pattern. I really thought this season would be different based on how hard we were to score against…….but……the team that no showed in the playoffs really didn’t resemble our regular season team, however, they did look like their usual playoff self. I have finally accepted this core is not built for the playoff hockey. I think they are allergic to white outs :laugh:

We just don’t find a way to win a game once we get a little down. We just drop all four games in a row……….lather, rinse, repeat.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I applaud your optimism.

For me I have seen this same movie every post season, its like groundhogs day. Our playoffs have ended the same way in 5 out of 6 seasons. We lose the last four games strait which is an alarming pattern. I really thought this season would be different based on how hard we were to score against…….but……the team that no showed in the playoffs really didn’t resemble our regular season team, however, they did look like their usual playoff self. I have finally accepted this core is not built for the playoff hockey. I think they are allergic to white outs :laugh:

We just don’t find a way to win a game once we get a little down. We just drop all four games in a row……….lather, rinse, repeat.
just make sure you get your game 1 ticket.

• Haha
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Which I did this year and it was amazing. As I walked with my family to the convention centre parkade I joked out loud that, “if we play every game like we did tonight we are going to get swept” then I laughed………….:facepalm:
It wasn't you, it was me. I also said "i hope we get swept, i don't think I can take this. i'm spent."

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
I applaud your optimism.

That's why I was hoping for a coach that would really push these guys. And yes I'm sure I'm setting myself up for disappointment once again

Reactions: Cypruss and ps241

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chevy's moves this summer.

DeSmith signed as backup at 1.4m.
Pionk and Iafallo to Buffalo for a 2nd in 2025 and a 3rd in 2026.
Ehlers and Kupari for Pulock.
Mono signed to a 3 x 5.25m deal.
DD signed to 4 x 4.5m.
Dillon gets 3 x 3.5m.
Miller signed to a 1 x 1.5m deal.
Schmidt bought out.

Perfetti Scheif Volare
KFC Mono Lambert
Nino Lowry Apples
Gus Names Barron
AJF

JMo Pulock
Dillon DD
Sammy Miller
Ville/Stanley

Helle/DeSmith

Buyouts about 5m?

Last edited:

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Chevy's moves this summer.

DeSmith signed as backup at 1.4m.
Nino to Chicago for a 2nd in 2025.
Pionk and Iafallo to Buffalo for a 2nd in 2025 and a 3rd in 2026.
Ehlers and Kupari for Pulock.
Mono signed to a 3 x 5.25m deal.
DD signed to 4 x 4.5m.
Dillon gets 3 x 3.5m.
Miller signed to a 1 x 1.5m deal.
Schmidt bought out.

Perfetti Scheif Volare 15.5m
KFC Mono Ehlers 18.5m
Barron Lowry Apples 6.8m
Gus Names Lambert 4.5m
AJF 1m.

JMo Pulock 12.5m
Dillon DD 8m
Sammy Miller 3m
Ville/Stanley 2.5m

Helle/DeSmith 10m

Buyouts about 5m?
You traded Ehlers for Pulock and they sent him back for future considerations?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Oilers' D includes Ceci, Desharnais, Kulak and Nurse.

They have a stellar top pair, though (Ekholm and Bouchard).

Somehow, they make it work.
Oilers have done a nice job in keeping the shots against down - they are playing a much better all around game in the PO's and that takes a lot of heat off the blueline and goaltending.
Our blueline looks pretty good when we do that.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oilers have done a nice job in keeping the shots against down - they are playing a much better all around game in the PO's and that takes a lot of heat off the blueline and goaltending.
Our blueline looks pretty good when we do that.
Pionk vs. Ceci
Samberg vs. Kulak
Stanley vs. Desharnais
Dillon vs. Nurse
Morrissey vs. Bouchard
Ekholm vs. ???

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pionk vs. Ceci
Samberg vs. Kulak
Stanley vs. Desharnais
Dillon vs. Nurse
Morrissey vs. Bouchard
Ekholm vs. ???
I thought Ekholm was exactly the kind of player the Jets needed when he was put on the block ...I'd say it's Ekholm vs Harley in the Dallas series, and the fact that both Holland and Nill have built winning teams shouldn't be a surprise around the hockey world...Jets don't have any Bouchard type players on the right side. Even Ceci level is a stretch without Melo.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bang on. When coach after coach fails with the same basic group, but is successful elsewhere, it’s pretty obvious where the problem is. Bottom line, whoever is putting this group together continues to fail. Getting rid of Chevy would be a bold move and Chipman is too soft to do it. I’ve been a firm believer for a long time now, that Chipman is one of the biggest problems with this organization.
Well it's a good thing he turned an AHL franchise into an NHL one, no other owner went through that route. As long as Chevy hits on draft picks and builds a playoff team I think his job is safe. Playoffs are at least a chance to compete for the Cup...You can't sign leaders to tank.

Things are going to change in the Central...last year for Minnesota paying out Suter and Parise. Landeskog could come back. Chicago is going to be good again in a couple of years. Utah is now playing to win, not take on unwanted contracts. St. Louis can sign more big names than Winnipeg, Nasville too, and have more draft capital...

For me the window is the next 2 years with Adam Lowry as our captain. Prospects pushing like 2018.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
For me the window is the next 2 years with Adam Lowry as our captain. Prospects pushing like 2018.
Do we have an open window right now?

1) A goalie that consistently outperforms his xGA: absolutely yes.
2) A coach whose player deployment results in the team winning the xG battle: to be determined.
3) Scoring talent: some (Connor and Ehlers at the high end, Scheifele and Nino on the lower end).
4) Defensive depth: some (basically nothing after Morrissey).

Those four things should all be in order for a team to compete. Helle makes light work of criterion #1, so that's good. We'll have to wait and see about Arniel, but we already know we're worryingly low on solid defensemen after Morrissey and basically devoid of great scoring talent at C. Lose Ehlers, and the offense goes even further down the shitter.

It's not easy to justify our position as a contender right now. A rookie or two stepping up would be huge, but in my opinion, that cannot be only to replace some good player we're going to lose.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Do we have an open window right now?

1) A goalie that consistently outperforms his xGA: absolutely yes.
2) A coach whose player deployment results in the team winning the xG battle: to be determined.
3) Scoring talent: some (Connor and Ehlers at the high end, Scheifele and Nino on the lower end).
4) Defensive depth: some (basically nothing after Morrissey).

Those four things should all be in order for a team to compete. Helle makes light work of criterion #1, so that's good. We'll have to wait and see about Arniel, but we already know we're worryingly low on solid defensemen after Morrissey and basically devoid of great scoring talent at C. Lose Ehlers, and the offense goes even further down the shitter.

It's not easy to justify our position as a contender right now. A rookie or two stepping up would be huge, but in my opinion, that cannot be only to replace some good player we're going to lose.

Not sure it's open even now. The Jets are a lower-talent version of the Canes, with a similar emphasis on team depth and fewer stars (though that may change).

But TDL depth is cheap, and stars are always expensive. They may pick up a solid RHD for Ehlers, but as much as I lake Lambo his game isn't really the same and even if his impact was, his dev curve puts him at the Eels of 8-9 years ago, so who knows?

Hopefully the Jets can make another regular season push, but they're not IMO a top 3 lock in the Central, and it's hard to see an easy path into the 2nd round.

But there's that 10% thing. So maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad