Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What this team needs is some progression from some kids as our core guys and key vets are all at the tops or past the pinnacle of their impact years.

We need Cole play at his first half and then some level all year. If he can do that while transitioning to center even better.

Snerg needs to be able to be that second pairing shut down dmen that can make a solid breakout pass. That will go a long way to solidifying the second pairing.

Ville needs step into a bottom pairing and provide Schmidt type defensive results while being an improvement in terms of breakout and pp.

We probably also need one of our young forwards to make it in a sheltered scoring role and provide some secondary scoring.

If Chevy can get a physical upgrade at RD to give us an elite top pairing and the push DeMelo down to anchor another pairing then I think we are in better shape.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We have enough Ninos on this team. We need more top end talent imo.
ok sure. however the OP of yours i responded to (post #1068) was detailing the Jets 2nd and 3rd round picks. what or who are you expecting to be acquired that's considered top-end talent for late 2nds or 3rds?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
What this team needs is some progression from some kids as our core guys and key vets are all at the tops or past the pinnacle of their impact years.

We need Cole play at his first half and then some level all year. If he can do that while transitioning to center even better.

Snerg needs to be able to be that second pairing shut down dmen that can make a solid breakout pass. That will go a long way to solidifying the second pairing.

Ville needs step into a bottom pairing and provide Schmidt type defensive results while being an improvement in terms of breakout and pp.

We probably also need one of our young forwards to make it in a sheltered scoring role and provide some secondary scoring.

If Chevy can get a physical upgrade at RD to give us an elite top pairing and the push DeMelo down to anchor another pairing then I think we are in better shape.
100% - but Jets are trapped with Lowry as 3C... guy is heart and soul but he's an anchor for Lambert or Chib.... then he also turns Barlow or McGro into career 3rd liners... maybe Barron-Lowry-Chib works but the team is married to Iafallo and Apples... gotta be a crazy dynamic in that room

Im the Barron version of your Perfetti fandom... I just see TNSE going down EXACTLY the same road they went with Copp and developing a solid player only to take him to arbitration this year to save a fkn pittance - and alienate him from the org... then basically bury him.

I think stuff like that gets around the league far more than signing or not signing guys... arbitration should be avoided at all costs when you're developing a guy. Jets seem fine with it

Save $50 to lose $500...

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
100% - but Jets are trapped with Lowry as 3C... guy is heart and soul but he's an anchor for Lambert or Chib.... then he also turns Barlow or McGro into career 3rd liners... maybe Barron-Lowry-Chib works but the team is married to Iafallo and Apples... gotta be a crazy dynamic in that room

Im the Barron version of your Perfetti fandom... I just see TNSE going down EXACTLY the same road they went with Copp and developing a solid player only to take him to arbitration this year to save a fkn pittance - and alienate him from the org... then basically bury him.

I think stuff like that gets around the league far more than signing or not signing guys... arbitration should be avoided at all costs when you're developing a guy. Jets seem fine with it

Save $50 to lose $500...

The Copp situation seems ideal no? Get his best years for cheap, trade for a haul then let him sign a big deal that he can't live up to elsewhere

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
ok sure. however the OP of yours i responded to (post #1068) was detailing the Jets 2nd and 3rd round picks. what or who are you expecting to be acquired that's considered top-end talent for late 2nds or 3rds?
Top tier rentals, like we did. And that's exactly it. You're not getting anyone highly skilled with term and success rate in the draft is minimal. So why not use them for 30+ goal scorers.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Copp situation seems ideal no? Get his best years for cheap, trade for a haul then let him sign a big deal that he can't live up to elsewhere

Agreed, in a cap league you want cost controlled depth. I've had very little issue with how the Jets have paid their home grown depth players.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not sure it's open even now. The Jets are a lower-talent version of the Canes, with a similar emphasis on team depth and fewer stars (though that may change).
Comparing us to the Canes is being generous, but I see your point. We arguably have more star power, but we also deploy that power much worse. Brind'Amour is an elite coach with a not-so-elite roster to support him - we aren't too close to that point, unfortunately.
But TDL depth is cheap, and stars are always expensive. They may pick up a solid RHD for Ehlers, but as much as I lake Lambo his game isn't really the same and even if his impact was, his dev curve puts him at the Eels of 8-9 years ago, so who knows?
Trading Ehlers results in the offense collapsing on itself, so if they want to address the RHD situation, which they probably should, they'd best find some other way to do it. We can't contend with our only star forward playing on a line that loses its matchups.
Hopefully the Jets can make another regular season push, but they're not IMO a top 3 lock in the Central, and it's hard to see an easy path into the 2nd round.
We aren't a lock, we agree on that. Minnesota and Arizona are likely to improve from last year, and we are likely trending down after an uncharacteristically solid year. We'll have to wait and see what Arniel brings - hopefully his systems work. If Minnesota gets goaltending again (all three of their goalies underperformed their xGA last year), it's going to be a tough race.
But there's that 10% thing. So maybe.
The secret is to get better, and... hope that no one else thinks of it? Yeah, count that as horseshit. :D

Reactions: BoneDocUK

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Comparing us to the Canes is being generous, but I see your point. We arguably have more star power, but we also deploy that power much worse. Brind'Amour is an elite coach with a not-so-elite roster to support him - we aren't too close to that point, unfortunately.

Trading Ehlers results in the offense collapsing on itself, so if they want to address the RHD situation, which they probably should, they'd best find some other way to do it. We can't contend with our only star forward playing on a line that loses its matchups.

We aren't a lock, we agree on that. Minnesota and Arizona are likely to improve from last year, and we are likely trending down after an uncharacteristically solid year. We'll have to wait and see what Arniel brings - hopefully his systems work. If Minnesota gets goaltending again (all three of their goalies underperformed their xGA last year), it's going to be a tough race.

The secret is to get better, and... hope that no one else thinks of it? Yeah, count that as horseshit. :D
The good news is that if you upgrade our 6 defencemen by 10% that should mean replacing pionk with someone twice as good

Reactions: Maukkis

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The trade was ideal for sure.... but Copp looked like an Allstar with Planarian and it just begged the question why we didn't give him more of a chance at 2C or with Ehlers for an extended look

Instead of promoting Copp we traded for Hayes and Eakin... just didn't make.a lot of sense - still doesn't.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The trade was ideal for sure.... but Copp looked like an Allstar with Planarian and it just begged the question why we didn't give him more of a chance at 2C or with Ehlers for an extended look

Instead of promoting Copp we traded for Hayes and Eakin... just didn't make.a lot of sense - still doesn't.

I mean that was such a small sample size, plus the bread man makes a lot of people look like an Allstar.

He's been a 2C in Detroit the last few years and has only managed 9 and 13 goals, and 42 and 33 points. So pretty much second/third line tweener level. That isn't any different really then what he was here.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I would like to see us find out what we have in our possession on the Moose. Give a few of these guys a long look.

My second wish for next year is to get a couple of guys on the team with a mean streak. Not goons, but real hockey players that make the other team pay. We are far too soft.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I mean that was such a small sample size, plus the bread man makes a lot of people look like an Allstar.

He's been a 2C in Detroit the last few years and has only managed 9 and 13 goals, and 42 and 33 points. So pretty much second/third line tweener level. That isn't any different really then what he was here.
You're missing the point... we never really pursue scoring chemistry - I'd say Ehlers is a lot closer to Panarin then he is to Perron as a linemate

Not saying Copp was the key to the Stanley Cup - but I would have rather seen what he could do instead of Cody fkn Eakin.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You're missing the point... we never really pursue scoring chemistry - I'd say Ehlers is a lot closer to Panarin then he is to Perron as a linemate

Not saying Copp was the key to the Stanley Cup - but I would have rather seen what he could do instead of Cody fkn Eakin.
LOL

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Ehlers isn't even on the tier next to Panarin's tier. And how is it Copp Vs. Cody Eakin? How are they even remotely connected to each other?

Copp just might be Chevy's best job at player asset management. Grind him out through most of his prime underpaying him, sell him off right at the end of team control for an exceptionally good return, including now one of your top 2 prospects, and then let another team overpay him in his declining years. It was pretty much master class work by Chevy.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Oilers' D includes Ceci, Desharnais, Kulak and Nurse.

They have a stellar top pair, though (Ekholm and Bouchard).

Somehow, they make it work.
I’d be pleased if Stanley could play as decent as Desharnais. He’s an upcoming UFA and he’d be a value pick up for some team who loses out on a bigger name player. I’m sure Edmonton does what they can to retain him though

Reactions: Gm0ney

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
What we need are a couple Mike Keanes on the ice. Guys who just never quit.
Or Matteau, Noonan or Carbonneau types to kick this team into gear once the playoffs begin. Those guys along with Keane could grind and elevate their play at the most important times.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It’s amazing that a team with a first line that doesn’t work, a third line that doesn’t score, and no second line was top 5 in the league….

Top 4 with the tie breakers over the team that is the first one to have punched their ticket to the SCF. Hmmmmmm? And 15th in the PO. All of that is amazing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I commend Ehlers for not whining about his use or ice time like Laine did but he hasn't bought into the system and can bugger off. Neither Maurice or Bowness could get through to him and according to some on here there are Jets who don't want to play with him. We saw Conner buy in during the playoffs, at least he tried. Time to move on and get a good return on him while his value is high. There are a hundred C and LW available in free agency many of which bring more to the system than Ehlers does.

There is just one reason to trade Ehlers. That is that he likely won't extend here.

He is the kind of player that you go out and find linemates for. If his PO production is an issue you find a way to fix it.

But whether we agree on that or not, we are in the same place. We need to move on from Ehlers, like it or not. So it becomes a matter of getting the best possible return.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
2011-2020 2nd and 3rd round draft picks.

Brennan Serville
Adam Lowry
Scott Kosmachuk
Lukas Sutter
JC Lipon
Jimmy Lodge
Eric Comrie
Nicolas Petan
Jack Glover
Erik Foley
Jansen Harkins
Luke Green
Johnathan Kovacevic
Dylan Samberg
Nathan Smith
David Gustafsson
Simon Lundmark
Daniel Torgersson

Two players out of 18 have had an impact. That's an 11% success rate. If that's critical to you, we'll have to agree to disagree. I'll gamble a 22% success rate on a 30+ goal scorer for a team that has a chance to go on a deep run any day of the week. And like I said there wasn't a single analyst that said "what a bad move" by the Jets.

Sure, Toffoli looked like a good acquisition at the time. But your way of making the point about the value of the picks is just wrong. First, a low success rate simply means they need more of those picks, not fewer. And second, you demonstrate that the Jets need to do a better job drafting and developing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sure, Toffoli looked like a good acquisition at the time. But your way of making the point about the value of the picks is just wrong. First, a low success rate simply means they need more of those picks, not fewer. And second, you demonstrate that the Jets need to do a better job drafting and developing.
My problem with the acquisition of Toffoli and Monahan is that they were bad fits for the Jets' roster and system. They made the Jets one of the slowest in the NHL and they were facing one of the fastest in the Avs. Also, the Jets system is dependent on forward pressure and speed. Just a bad stylistic fit. As the Panthers have shown, the NHL is about speed and pressure in transition and forechecking. Jets need to emphasize acquiring more speed for their top 9, especially with Perfetti and Vilardi already in the lineup. Ehlers is fast but needs to play with other forwards that can play a stronger forechecking and transition game when the speed ramps up in the playoffs.

Barron is a player that I think needs a boost up the lineup, especially if he can play some C. He's better than a 4th line in this lineup.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Barron is a player that I think needs a boost up the lineup, especially if he can play some C. He's better than a 4th line in this lilineup.
Barron does look like he is ready, love his forecheck and board battle.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mostly hope the Jets keep Ehlers. He is fun to watch and one of our better players. Playoffs have been poor for several players but he has been disappointing.

Still, something need to give to be a better team next year.

The D will look different. It is a bit worrisome atm.

All could look very different before July 1 but by appearances ATM I think it looks very worrisome.

It looks like 2 of our top 4 are going to be allowed to walk without even an effort being made to keep them. Meanwhile to 2 who constitute the greatest weaknesses in our D corps, as well as very big cap hits are going to stay.

Can the Jets really be allowing Dillon and DeMelo to leave in order to avoid having to buyout either Pionk or Schmidt? Is that kind of illogic even possible?

Even if we acquire a top 4 RHD we appear to be setting up to go into next season with:

Morrissey - new guy (Pesce???)
Samberg - Pionk
Stanley/Heinola - Schmidt/Heinola
Stanley/Heinola/Schmidt in the PB

That is a step back from a D corps that wasn't good enough this year. It required getting a lot of help from the F and G. Jets gave up the fewest GA in the league in the regular season and the most in 1st rd of PO. The regular season performance should not be taken as an endorsement of the D corps alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad