Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Because Toronto is being stupid and now he's just going to sign with the oilers or Arizona lol

Doubt it would ever be with Edmonton......nice management team. Nice trading a top 5 winger in Hall for, well, a great big giant question mark that can never ever live up to expectation. The poor kid is destined to fail.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
No. There is literally no evidence of that.

Ok. Well, they kinda should get this done. Laine, Puljujarvi, Nylander, Sergachev, etc. all signed. Granted, Matthews went #1 but the template should be established... and the Leafs have money and space. This should be a no-brainer.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I think he'll ultimately sign but I'm not gonna lie: after all the crap I had to read from Leafs fans about how the Lightning were supposedly a mess that nobody wanted to play for and how Stamkos and Matthews would form an unbeatable center combination before the Leafs even had either one on their roster, a part of me would LOVE to see them end up with neither.

Mad Brills*

Ekblad didn't sign until september, so did crosby.

IF by World cup training camp time he's not sign, then we should worry.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ekblad didn't sign until september, so did crosby.

IF by World cup training camp time he's not sign, then we should worry.

Crosby wasn't eligible to sign a contract at this time in 2005. The SPC didn't even exist on July 16, 2005.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Shanahan or ownership would intervene before Lou did anything rash.

Was this type of speculation around for Ekblad? Doubtful

There was a bunch of speculation around Ekblad, with people blaming everything from the Panthers' overall lack of success to the market they play in.

I think the bonuses are a red herring here, the real issue is that he wants to wear white skates.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Wasn't the entire point of the 2015-16 season for the Leafs to get Matthews? And now people think, what, Lou is going to **** it all up because he doesn't like rookie performance bonuses?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Toronto is just so stacked with premium talent he's worried he won't get a fair chance at playing impact minutes.

Mad Brills*

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...e-auston-matthews-still-without-contract.html

But team president Brendan Shanahan suggested Thursday bonuses won’t stand in the way of the Leafs inking Matthews to a deal.

“Mitch Marner got bonuses, and Lou did his contract,” said Shanahan. “Without going into details, that’s a question for our general manager and it’s not for me to overstep my bound and do his job for him.

“Lou will get the job done, whatever is best for the team.”

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wasn't the entire point of the 2015-16 season for the Leafs to get Matthews? And now people think, what, Lou is going to **** it all up because he doesn't like rookie performance bonuses?

Lou will get him signed. There is no doubt about that.

It's just that he wants to let him know who's boss and tick him off first. You always need to soften up your franchise players so they learn to respect you for the future.

Mad Brills*

Lou will get him signed. There is no doubt about that.

It's just that he wants to let him know who's boss and tick him off first. You always need to soften up your franchise players so they learn to respect you for the future.

matthews has no leverage once he signs his elc until his 3rd contract.

for his 2nd deal, he won't have arb rights.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Compared to the Wild pipeline, that might be accurate.

how does comparing it to anyone else's pipeline affect my statement at all. Some guys sign or don't sign based on what kind of minutes/role they think they'll play. it happens. Schultz signed in Edmonton over Detroit or Minnesota because there was little chance he'd start in the NHL in either.

Obviously MIN pipeline is unimpressive...but then we haven't been absolute **** on ice for a half dozen years in a row.

if you want to tie it into bonuses, you could have him worried about them pulling the rug out from under him and making it hard to achieve the bonus money. i always wondered about that.

Mad Brills*

how does comparing it to anyone else's pipeline affect my statement at all. Some guys sign or don't sign based on what kind of minutes/role they think they'll play. it happens. Schultz signed in Edmonton over Detroit or Minnesota because there was little chance he'd start in the NHL in either.

Obviously MIN pipeline is unimpressive...but then we haven't been absolute **** on ice for a half dozen years in a row.

uh, no matthews would be in the nhl on game one on every team regardless of who got the #1 OA pick.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
uh, no matthews would be in the nhl on game one on every team regardless of who got the #1 OA pick.

i know man. What if the other guys bonus structures are set up to make it hard for everyone to achieve their bonus thresholds? Like Marner is going to say "i need this much PP time, this much ES time" and everyone else is too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
matthews has no leverage once he signs his elc until his 3rd contract.

for his 2nd deal, he won't have arb rights.

Lou can grind him down to a cheap bridge deal in his second contract to keep him in his place. By the time he's ready for his 3rd contract at around age 23-24, he'll be eating from Lou's hand and sign for a sweetheart long-term deal. :laugh:

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
[mod] The leafs have 3 arbitration cases to deal with, the final coming in mid Auf. First thing that needs to be done is find out what results from those. Second- I have no doubt that there are calls being made by Lou as it pertains to bring in another nhl ready body, takes time to see how that shakes out. Third- toronto doesn't have a bevy of cap space currently (as ltir cannot be used over the offseason). Matthews will get a max elc, and while base is <1m, the performance bonuses he will undoubtedly get will get factored against the cap next yr as bonus overages (dead money is not something that the leafs are going to continue with in perpetuity). There is also the issue of 'too many hens in the henhouse', so to speak- with bozak, laich, Kadri, (though it's been discussed to move them to wing) marner and Nylander. It's not unreasonable to think that it'll take until early September, prior to exhibition games but after training camp opens that his contract gets done. At that point in time the team that expects to get iced for opening day will have shaken out. In the meantime, Matthews will have free reign to Toronto's world-class training and performance center, discuss endorsement deals, become familiar with some of his teammates, figure out where he's going to live- if it's not with one of the guys on the team, and familiarize himself with his new home city. There is plenty to be done for Lou and auston before the season begins, the contract will be signed when both sides are ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad Brills*

Lou can grind him down to a cheap bridge deal in his second contract to keep him in his place. By the time he's ready for his 3rd contract at around age 23-24, he'll be eating from Lou's hand and sign for a sweetheart long-term deal. :laugh:

he's not getting a bridge though.

Rielly didn't.

And yeah, I'd hope he gets 8 x 7 or so in 2019.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
He's probably just going the college route and signing with the Blackhawks when he graduates!:yo:

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
[mod] The leafs have 3 arbitration cases to deal with, the final coming in mid Auf. First thing that needs to be done is find out what results from those. Second- I have no doubt that there are calls being made by Lou as it pertains to bring in another nhl ready body, takes time to see how that shakes out. Third- toronto doesn't have a bevy of cap space currently (as ltir cannot be used over the offseason). Matthews will get a max elc, and while base is <1m, the performance bonuses he will undoubtedly get will get factored against the cap next yr as bonus overages (dead money is not something that the leafs are going to continue with in perpetuity). There is also the issue of 'too many hens in the henhouse', so to speak- with bozak, laich, Kadri, (though it's been discussed to move them to wing) marner and Nylander. It's not unreasonable to think that it'll take until early September, prior to exhibition games but after training camp opens that his contract gets done. At that point in time the team that expects to get iced for opening day will have shaken out. In the meantime, Matthews will have free reign to Toronto's world-class training and performance center, discuss endorsement deals, become familiar with some of his teammates, figure out where he's going to live- if it's not with one of the guys on the team, and familiarize himself with his new home city. There is plenty to be done for Lou and auston before the season begins, the contract will be signed when both sides are ready.

A template can be signed by others but AM gets rookie max. There should be no negotiation. This is just Lou being silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad