Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

Was Lou responsible for letting Parise walk? If so, I can see him being a hardballer. Matthews might be not be a lifetime Leafer (assuming he is even signed!)

parise didn't want to stay.

Matthews will be a leaf for life unless he doesn't want to be.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It will be interesting to see what Toronto gets from Arizona for him. Before this thread I didn't even know a trade talks were happening.

The window to trade him to Arizona is kind of past for the moment. The 'yotes had a lot of extra picks the Leafs could have used this past draft and nothing happened.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What if he actually won't sign with Toronto? :)

Imo Lamoriello's rules are a joke. I mean really.

the people higher than Lou will step in WAY before that happens and get it finalized. Matthews will win this battle cause ownership wont allow anything ridiculous to happen

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This is really nothing. He will sign.

But it is nice, after last year having to hear countless Leaf fans comment that McDavid's face showed he didn't want to play for Edmonton. (he signed on July 3rd) ;)

July 16th and Matthews still hasn't signed, and you know... his face said it all when the Leafs won the lottery ;)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
the people higher than Lou will step in WAY before that happens and get it finalized. Matthews will win this battle cause ownership wont allow anything ridiculous to happen

This. Matthews was the big prize to reward Leaf fans for being fully patient with a rebuild. If they lose him, there will be riots and ownership knows it. They're going to make far more money in Matthews' merch than they will spend on his rookie contract.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The only surprise is that it took until yesterday to get this thread going.

:help:

Yeah, we are talking HOF boards here. I just can't believe the ignorance of some posters worried about Matthews not signing. Everyone knows damn well he is going to sign.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Yeah, we are talking HOF boards here. I just can't believe the ignorance of some posters worried about Matthews not signing. Everyone knows damn well he is going to sign.

False. Matthews wants out. Lou has already lined up his replacement in Travis Zajac.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Mathewswithout a doubt will be a Leaf, I'm just saying that I wouldn't let Lou near his agent especially if he's still there when the next contract comes up. Why risk the alienation?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I mean if you want to take a real literal look at things, hes on vacation right now according to instagram. Hard to sign when hes not in Toronto

Last edited:

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
He will certainly sign. Probably instantly inserted on top line, only happens on a lowly team but as a young player who wouldn't be excited and want that?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I can start one now . Matthews value is lower because he wants out . Oilers offer Draisaitl . Which is fair considering . The Leafs still get their big #1C and the Oilers get a player with potential to be a top 5 C in the league

Really I would not worry Leafs fans I am sure bigger people then LL would step in rather then have LL piss off Matthews

Like I mentioned earlier, your GM is Chia and he's traded Seguin and Hall now for next to nothing but we'll be kind. Matthews is all yours for a low price of McDavid + RNH.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Nothing to worry about here. At some point Lou will realize that Matthews is more important to the Leafs franchise, owners and fans than Lou himself. At some point Lou will realize that the battle is like pissing up wind and the bonuses will be offered.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Lou's rules are fine and in place for a reason. It will stop a lot of the crap that was happening years prior to him coming in.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
Leafs should have went with Laine or the good Canadian kid Dubois. Matthews isn't the type of player you want to build around. Clearly all he cares about is $$$, left for Europe to chase money, now he is holding out to get contract bonus'. I'm glad Lou is taking the right approach and trying to fix this kids attitude problem.
Look at the package Lindros returned, if he won't sign by the end of July I say ship him off and pick up some depth pieces to get this rebuild done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad