Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Plus the schedule A and B bonuses don't count towards this year's cap hit; they slide to next year.

can't they split them as well? Like if the Leafs have $1.5 million in space this year, and Matthews gets a $3 million ELC with bonuses, can't they put $1.5 million on the cap this year and if he hits them all the remaining $1.5 next year? I was listening to a discussion earlier this week that said bonus money goes on the current years cap whether they hit the bonuses or not, but I'm positive that you can slide bonus money a year. I always thought the entire bonus went on the next years cap but there seems to be options involved.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Lou is cheap as ****. he tried to make the leafs broadcasters watch a tape and call it from the toronto stufios instead of flying to the visiting arenas. owners had to step in and put a stop to it. so yah Lou is probably being a penny pinching pos. because its who he always has been.

I heard about that. It was Lou? What a cheap guy :laugh: guess we'll see with Matthews :popcorn:

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Next week I'm gonna start Matthews trading proposols, since Leafs maybe cant afford/ he wont sign for the Leafs. It is payback time for all those crappy Trouba proposols

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
can't they split them as well? Like if the Leafs have $1.5 million in space this year, and Matthews gets a $3 million ELC with bonuses, can't they put $1.5 million on the cap this year and if he hits them all the remaining $1.5 next year? I was listening to a discussion earlier this week that said bonus money goes on the current years cap whether they hit the bonuses or not, but I'm positive that you can slide bonus money a year. I always thought the entire bonus went on the next years cap but there seems to be options involved.

Bonuses go on the cap this year. If they put you over the cap the overage slides to a penalty next year.

Which is why bonuses are a bit of a sticky thing for teams using LTIr to go over every year. Because you're already over with LTIR applied all the bonuses slides to the next year as a cap penalty.

Not saying that's holding anything up, it's not. Just that no doubt Toronto would like to not have to use LTIR this year with Nylander, Marner, Matthews and Zaitsev potentially hitting bonuses.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Bonuses go on the cap this year. If they put you over the cap the overage slides to a penalty next year.

Which is why bonuses are a bit of a sticky thing for teams using LTIr to go over every year. Because you're already over with LTIR applied all the bonuses slides to the next year as a cap penalty.

Not saying that's holding anything up, it's not. Just that no doubt Toronto would like to not have to use LTIR this year with Nylander, Marner, Matthews and Zaitsev potentially hitting bonuses.

It's probably not even this year they are worried about. It is near the end of those deals when you have to start filling out a more competitive roster and also paying out the second contracts. That is when cap overages can really bite. You certainly would not want to be dealing with $4M in cap overages going into the 2019-2020 season if you also need to resign both Matthews and Marner.

That said , Lou may have no choice here. The alternative may be a potential francise player that will ask for more in his second contract to make up for any perceived slight in the ELC. If Matthews progresses as expected you can only play hard ball for so long before he holds the cards.

But if I had to guess I would say this gets done in plenty of time and everyone just moves on.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It's probably not even this year they are worried about. It is near the end of those deals when you have to start filling out a more competitive roster and also paying out the second contracts. That is when cap overages can really bite. You certainly would not want to be dealing with $4M in cap overages going into the 2019-2020 season if you also need to resign both Matthews and Marner.

That said , Lou may have no choice here. The alternative may be a potential francise player that will ask for more in his second contract to make up for any perceived slight in the ELC. If Matthews progresses as expected you can only play hard ball for so long before he holds the cards.

I don't really expect the Leafs to be that close to the cap after this year. A lot of bad money coming off the books, and honestly not really anyone I want to sign in UFA. Tavares would be great but very likely not happening. I don't really see much chance of a bonus overage in 2019/20.

That being said, again this is likely not holding up any deal. In fact there probably isn't any hold up to any deal. People like to freak out for no reason, and other people like to jump at any opportunity to pretend the Leafs might get screwed. It's July 16th.

It's probably not done because nobody in management is in a rush to get it done. That's far more likely than any deadlock in negotiations.

Honestly wouldn't shock me if it's done and Lou being Lou with the cone of silence, doesn't want anyone to know, because he doesn't tell the fans anything. I don't expect to find out which 2nd round pick we gave Anaheim in the Andersen trade until that pick comes and it's Anaheim going to the podium and not us.

Day 1 of the regular season gonna come and everyone panicking and right before puck drop Lou's gonna tell us, oh yeah I signed Auston 3 months ago, did I not tell you that? :laugh:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
How is this a thing? It's mid-July. I think Leafs fans can worry if training camp is about to start and he's unsigned.

Blood in the water, my friend.

Well, it isn't really blood. It's just red dye that kind of smells like iron.

yideboit

Aug 5, 2010
At this point, this is a non-issue for me. Has Lou strong armed some good prospects in the past into no-bonus-contracts? Yes. But there's a couple major differences.
1. Those prospects weren't 1OA. (Which should be enough of a reason to dismiss the 'Lou doesn't like bonuses' jibberish floating around).
2. (In case 1 wasn't enough) Lou didn't have a budget in his career like he would with the never ending cash cow that is mlse. Look at historical trends of attendance in nj vs in Toronto. Something tells me mlse isn't worried about a couple mill a year for what may be their best prospect ever.

Why is it he hasn't signed? Who knows... And I doubt we will with the new veil of silence around this team. But I highly doubt it's got anything to do with Lou not wanting to give a rookie bonuses. I'm confident he'll sign in the not too distant future

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Announcing the signing of your franchise player on the same day that you release your new jerseys for the public to purchase seems like the most likely reasoning to me. August 1st.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Leafs haven't hired his daddy yet

The real reason is that Lou is playing hardball probably and alienating a potential franchise player, I smell a Parise.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
At this point, this is a non-issue for me. Has Lou strong armed some good prospects in the past into no-bonus-contracts? Yes. But there's a couple major differences.
1. Those prospects weren't 1OA. (Which should be enough of a reason to dismiss the 'Lou doesn't like bonuses' jibberish floating around).
2. (In case 1 wasn't enough) Lou didn't have a budget in his career like he would with the never ending cash cow that is mlse. Look at historical trends of attendance in nj vs in Toronto. Something tells me mlse isn't worried about a couple mill a year for what may be their best prospect ever.

Why is it he hasn't signed? Who knows... And I doubt we will with the new veil of silence around this team. But I highly doubt it's got anything to do with Lou not wanting to give a rookie bonuses. I'm confident he'll sign in the not too distant future

One thing you'll find out about Lou is that he makes decisions not based on financials, etc but a really weird and exoteric moral compass he's developed during self fleggation sessions

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Leafs haven't hired his daddy yet

The real reason is that Lou is playing hardball probably and alienating a potential franchise player, I smell a Parise.

Good lord, this thread is hilarious.

Has LL even started negotiations? Or is he dealing with more immediate matters first. Kinda hard to play hardball when nobody is even playing.

I guess nobody has mentioned that Matthews was quoted well before the lotto that Toronto was one of his top two preferred destinations. Essentially rendering all this he wants out bs uninformed hot air.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Good lord, this thread is hilarious.

Has LL even started negotiations? Or is he dealing with more immediate matters first. Kinda hard to play hardball when nobody is even playing.

I guess nobody has mentioned that Matthews was quoted well before the lotto that Toronto was one of his top two preferred destinations. Essentially rendering all this he wants out bs uninformed hot air.

Lordy, Lordy, better hope Lou is put out to pasture before this kids next contract come up.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
It will be interesting to see what Toronto gets from Arizona for him. Before this thread I didn't even know a trade talks were happening.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Next week I'm gonna start Matthews trading proposols, since Leafs maybe cant afford/ he wont sign for the Leafs. It is payback time for all those crappy Trouba proposols

I can start one now . Matthews value is lower because he wants out . Oilers offer Draisaitl . Which is fair considering . The Leafs still get their big #1C and the Oilers get a player with potential to be a top 5 C in the league

Really I would not worry Leafs fans I am sure bigger people then LL would step in rather then have LL piss off Matthews

Last edited:

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
He'll probably sign an offersheet and Lou will be took cheap to match.

That would be a likely outcome however Lou should be gone by then. I picture him as more of a short term consultant to help get the house in order and then he'll be gone once the "new" team stabilizes. If the leafs let Lou anywhere near this kids agent, someone ought to hang.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
That would be a likely outcome however Lou should be gone by then. I picture him as more of a short term consultant to help get the house in order and then he'll be gone once the "new" team stabilizes. If the leafs let Lou anywhere near this kids agent, someone ought to hang.

Was Lou responsible for letting Parise walk? If so, I can see him being a hardballer. Matthews might be not be a lifetime Leafer (assuming he is even signed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad