Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
ya but in toronto They are paying over 10 m to players not to play hockey but don t want to pay 3 m to player who gonna play Logic there somewhere

Those scenarios don't even make sense. It's not a money thing.

Lou on bonuses: "I saw something that in my mind is not team-first philosophy when players have bonuses that if they score goals, they get more money, or if they get more ice time than another player, they get more money."

I like that philosophy in NJ. Matthews isn't going to leave the Leafs that'd be absurd. Larsson had no bonuses and didn't sign until July 15th in his draft year.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
If players like McDavid, Ekblad, Laine had no issues signing with unknown markets like Edmonton, Florida or a city like Winnipeg then Matthews should have no problems signing with Toronto where even if doesn't perform he'll still get paid like a King

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Does that reset the year counter? Wouldn't think so or teams could just keep trading his rights so he could never play in the NHL then.

So 3/4 years in Europe and off to Vegas for $$.

None of what you're saying even makes sense. 3/4 years?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
In a real hockey Meca-market, a team would have some past greats from the Leafs or at least from Ontario. Nope Leafs bring out nobodies like a Mayor guy(could be a Gal as well, doesn't matter) and Random suit with a comb over. Come play hockey here and we'll be your friends *pant* *pant*.

Yikes! I'm outta here says Mathews.
Yikes! is right.

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
I'm honestly not seeing the logic behind playing hardball with Matthews.

There really isn't any good reason that he shouldn't be signed right now.

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
DAE he's not gonna sign because he's leaving for Arizona/he doesn't wanna be here just like stamkos and tavares???

Mad Brills*

Connor McDavid - Jul 3rd
Aaron Ekblad - Sep 3rd
Nathan MacKinnon - July 9th
Nail Yakupov - Jul 23rd
RNH - Jul 2nd
Taylor Hall - Jul 5th
John Tavares - Jul 15th
Steven Stamkos - Jul 30th
Patrick Kane - Jul 25th

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Or maybe, and I know this may sound crazy...

They have gotten it done yet because it's only July 15th!!! and they may have more pressing matters like getting their RFA's signed before their arbitration dates.

Nah that can't be it.

Having everything else done would make sense as it tells you what kind of budget you are working with going forward. So getting that done, including dealing with Cowen who is not accepting his buyout, makes perfect sense. But instead of considering that we have multiple people trying to make this something it isn't and starting all kinds of threads about it. Sadly, that isn't surprising.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Easy answer; the Leafs are waiting until August 15th so that they can announce the Matthews and Vesey signings at the same time.

One more month to go!

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Connor McDavid - Jul 3rd
Aaron Ekblad - Sep 3rd
Nail Yakupov - Jul 23rd
RNH - Jul 2nd
Taylor Hall - Jul 5th
John Tavares - Jul 15th
Patrick Kane - Jul 25th

You should add sid to this believe i saw someone post he signed on sept 7-9 i dont remember

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Is it possible that Toronto is concerned about contract limits and is making sure everything is in order before he is signed?

Or maybe there is cap issue because Horton?

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Is it possible that Toronto is concerned about contract limits and is making sure everything is in order before he is signed?

Or maybe there is cap issue because Horton?

Nope, can go over the cap 10% in the offseason and you don't not sign your 1OA pick because of cap worries anyways. You sign him then figure out what needs to be done, give away Bozak for a 7th if you have to. Besides I think the ELC bonus only matters for the cap if there's room like with LTIR. If you go over and the player hits the bonuses the extra cap space gets tacked to next years number. So if the Leafs had $1 million in space only the base salary counts this year, then if he hits the other $2.8 million of bonuses they get knocked off next years cap. Pretty sure that's what happened with Chicago and how Panarin fit with all his bonus money.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
This is an absolute non issue. Summer time on HF, gotta talk about something I guess. Slow times..

This list should keep things in perspective...

Connor McDavid - Jul 3rd
Aaron Ekblad - Sep 3rd
Nail Yakupov - Jul 23rd
RNH - Jul 2nd
Taylor Hall - Jul 5th
John Tavares - Jul 15th
Patrick Kane - Jul 25th

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I am not worried about him signing eventually, but I am somewhat concerned about the long term implications of Lou playing hardball with him. If anyone deserves bonus incentives, it's Matthews. If he ends up hitting all his targets, so be it. At this time next year, the Leafs will have a ton of cap space available.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Where has there been any shred of evidence that Lou is playing "hardball"? I get that it's a convenient narrative to push if you're hoping Matthews leaves as soon as possible but there's nothing backing it up. Lou is no longer the top dog in the organization, he can get overruled. New Jersey Lou doesn't really apply here.

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
If he was going to sign, he wold have by now. Might as well cut your losses TOR and get what you can for him...

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
He'll get signed eventually, they have plenty of time. Just seems like an easy opportunity for people to get their jabs in on the Leaf fans who've been pumping Matthews tires like crazy for the last few months heh..

Unless he openly lets it known he won't sign I don't see what the fuss is about.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Where has there been any shred of evidence that Lou is playing "hardball"? I get that it's a convenient narrative to push if you're hoping Matthews leaves as soon as possible but there's nothing backing it up. Lou is no longer the top dog in the organization, he can get overruled. New Jersey Lou doesn't really apply here.

You're absolutely fooling yourself if you think Lou Lamoriello doesn't have some sort of autonomy here. There's no GM in the league that would agreed to work with a president of hockey operations overruling and second-guessing their decisions.

YourARumour

Jan 27, 2009
Cheechem
Has there been any word that they have even opened talks yet??? But max bonus structure for Matthews ELC should be par for the course right ?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
You're absolutely fooling yourself if you think Lou Lamoriello doesn't have some sort of autonomy here. There's no GM in the league that would agreed to work with a president of hockey operations overruling and second-guessing their decisions.

The Toronto situation is fairly unique. There probably hasn't been too many situations where a GM was literally the last piece of the organizational puzzle. How does he have autonomy when the President, Coach, Assistant GM and other departments were fully formed with long-term commitments before he arrived? He has to fit in with the structure, it's not the other way around.

The Leafs felt like they needed an experienced GM because Dubas was so young and new to the league. That doesn't mean Lou has the authority to run things like a dictator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad