Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
If (and its a huge if) there is an issue concerning money Lou should just sign him. Dumb not to give the kid the full bonus etc its part of the culture / hype etc.

Maybe saving it for a nice news day etc, get the press going, etc.

Just more and more 'speculation' for hacks to write lol.
Not that I agree with Lou not wanting to give out bonuses, but you're saying he should get full bonuses cause it's "part of the culture" of first overall picks, but what about the culture of the Leafs? He's entitled to do things the way he wants in order to continue building the culture that they all want. Leafs culture is more important than first overall culture.

They're not going to let Auston Matthews go cause he's pissed off. People need to chill out.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Do you know why he did that? To face better competition. Every interview with him is boring, but most of them feature him talking about how much he wants to compete against the best players in the world. The idea of playing in the KHL for the next few years is just inane.

He could very well have been honest about that, and I am sure competition played a factor, but I find it hard to believe that it was his sole motivation for going over there. Matthews is a top pick in the NHL draft, he has people guiding him, and he likely knows that it wouldn't go over very well in the stuffy world of hockey if he admitted that going over to Switzerland was a business oriented move. The hockey world is incredibly insular and tears apart anybody who goes against the grain.

The fact that he was the first player who was projected to be a first overall pick that went against the grain and didn't stay in the US or go to the CHL and instead chased a paying gig overseas should say something. I don't mean this in a negative way, I'm all for someone doing what is best for them financially, it was his right. But I don't think it is farfetched to speculate that he might be more business driven than the average top pick. If there's a guy a team can dick around with the "loltradition/lolou" BS of not giving a top pick signing bonuses, it probably isn't the one who went against the grain and signed a big money (relatively speaking) contract in Switzerland instead of playing by the rules and staying in one of the NA programs.

Also, you're on point about him playing in the KHL being insane........A sentence starting with "Maybe in a fantasy world...." usually dictates that point.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
The madness in this thread.

Hes going to get ELC + max bonuses from Toronto. The fact its not done yet is negligible. The sky is not falling. There are more unsigned (top 15) first round picks than signed today. There is a specific rookie scale for salaries, and some of you are seriously thinking Lou is going to nickel-dime the #1 overall?

Picks 2-4 are signed. Lets look at those teams: Winnipeg, Columbus, Edmonton, Vancouver.

Winnipeg is signing a Finnish national. You have to have the deal done to get the work permits (Canada and US) sorted out. Same goes with Edmonton and Vancouver. Im willing to bet Columbus is a budget team and wanted to get Dubois sorted for financial purposes. Some teams will move quicker for different reasons. Its easier if a US born or Canadian born player in terms of the paperwork.

We're talking about the richest team in the league here. As pointed out, other #1 overalls have taken a while to get done for whatever reasons. This will be no different.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Do you know why he did that? To face better competition. Every interview with him is boring, but most of them feature him talking about how much he wants to compete against the best players in the world. The idea of playing in the KHL for the next few years is just inane.

The competition may have come into play, but Matthews went to Zurich because he'd be paid handsomely to do so and fit withing some pretty strict Visa guidelines that allowed him to do so. Telling interviewers that he went to make a million dollars this year isn't quite what hockey culture dictates. He had a chance to make money in a pro league, he took it, end of story.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The whole point of playing hockey in a league where you will lose some teeth is to get paid. Lou better pay him, and that includes bonuses. If not, then there really is a problem.

Ttownjets61

Jun 1, 2016
This feels like some random projection of other issues, but you know that a RFA and a newly drafted player are nothing similar in terms of negotiations right?

I know the difference between completing you elc and singing your elc. I'm just referring to the fact neither Matthews or trouba have singed. The fact is its summer and lots of time left to do it.

I'm just poking fun at the fact to many leafs fan attempt to state that since trouba haven't singed yet and with it being July he wants to much money or out of Winnipeg. To many fans forget that it's their life's and with short careers you want to get every penny as possible. Also not dealing with chump change but millions of dollars. Has to work for both sides. With that fans should never be concerned with how long it takes

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He could very well have been honest about that, and I am sure competition played a factor, but I find it hard to believe that it was his sole motivation for going over there. Matthews is a top pick in the NHL draft, he has people guiding him, and he likely knows that it wouldn't go over very well in the stuffy world of hockey if he admitted that going over to Switzerland was a business oriented move. The hockey world is incredibly insular and tears apart anybody who goes against the grain.

The fact that he was the first player who was projected to be a first overall pick that went against the grain and didn't stay in the US or go to the CHL and instead chased a paying gig overseas should say something. I don't mean this in a negative way, I'm all for someone doing what is best for them financially, it was his right. But I don't think it is farfetched to speculate that he might be more business driven than the average top pick. If there's a guy a team can dick around with the "loltradition/lolou" BS of not giving a top pick signing bonuses, it probably isn't the one who went against the grain and signed a big money (relatively speaking) contract in Switzerland instead of playing by the rules and staying in one of the NA programs.

Its pretty common knowledge here, that he told his coach that after playing against UMich, as the NTDP does, he didn't want to cleave through 16-17 year olds in the W. He felt he could play against men, so he took an option to make some money, and not be in Everett.
It was his desire for competition, not much else.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The competition may have come into play, but Matthews went to Zurich because he'd be paid handsomely to do so and fit withing some pretty strict Visa guidelines that allowed him to do so. Telling interviewers that he went to make a million dollars this year isn't quite what hockey culture dictates. He had a chance to make money in a pro league, he took it, end of story.

Of course everyone loves money and that's a fantastic reason to make the move. But ensuring the year was optimally suited to his NHL development was probably a bigger factor, at least in my opinion. With the maturity in Matthews game and just missing the 2015 draft by days, I think there was a good argument that a year in the CHL/NCAA would not have benefited him too much. It's not like he's the first NA top prospect that would like a million dollars, he's just one of the first where it actually made sense for his development.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
So he can play overseas for 4 years making big money and then be able to come back over and sign with Arizona, or he can sign with the Leafs, make much less money, be in the spotlight that comes with being a Leaf, and maybe in 7 years be able to go to Arizona.

I think he'll sign with Toronto, but if he REALLY wants to play in Arizona, I could see him going the 4 year route. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about now, but the longer this goes, the more worried I'd be.

I don't think so. He was drafted out of Switzerland, which isn't a part of the transfer agreement. So I believe in order to become a free agent, he'd need to wait until he's 25.

I also don't see why he'd delay his NHL career to play for the Coyotes? Literally no reason for him to do that.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
This thread is payback for every thread started ssying Stamkos is a leaf or now John t from the nyi. If McDavid had not been signed by now last year we would have had ten threads sayin McDavid didn't want to be an oiler. Full circle of trouble

So it's allowed to troll a teams fans on HFboards now, it must be...this has been up for half a day

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Of course everyone loves money and that's a fantastic reason to make the move. But ensuring the year was optimally suited to his NHL development was probably a bigger factor, at least in my opinion. With the maturity in Matthews game and just missing the 2015 draft by days, I think there was a good argument that a year in the CHL/NCAA would not have benefited him too much. It's not like he's the first NA top prospect that would like a million dollars, he's just one of the first where it actually made sense for his development.

The "optimally suited development path" is the CHL, at least that's what we keep being told. In fact going overseas was the biggest boom or bust scenario as ripping through the CHL as an 18 year old would have been more likely then dominating a pro league. The difference between the two was that one was a pro league with top of the line accommodations and a million a year in compensation, and the other was a longer season for $1200 a month and riding buses. As I said competition mattered, it wasnt the number 1 reason though.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Well we've had American basketball/baseball players let it be known they don't want to play in Canada and one famous case of one refusing to play in Canada.
HECK we have ****ing Canadian born hockey players NOT wanting to play in Canada.
Maybe Auston is the one holding out.:sarcasm:

As A Leafs fan, Lou is so out to lunch. Auston deserves the maximum bonuses. The Leafs should have made sure he was the first pick signed.
But for some reason Lou (if it's him) is still living back in the 60's.
IMO this is NOT "the team not the individual" it's,"I'm in charge and we do things my way."

I'd laugh my ass off if Auston said screw this I'm going back to Switzerland.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So it's allowed to troll a teams fans on HFboards now, it must be...this has been up for half a day

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=120750069#post120750069

this is the latest thread about star player wanting to head to the leafs? I have been on this board for 20 years (September 5th 2017 makes 20) and I can tell ya-in those years--we have had ALOT of threads on star players heading to the LEAFS--for me it is nice to see the leafs on the receiving end of this threads once.
HOw many threads did we have on Stamkos wanting to go to TO? 120?
How many threads on McDavid holding out for a trade t the leafs?
now it is JOhn T

for me--until the leafs sign Matthews--other fan bases get to create the same threads leaf fans have created about plyers on the other teams. How do you think NYI fans like threads on JT to the leafs?

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
just give him max and move on. Lou this isn't the 80s. loosen ur change purse

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The "optimally suited development path" is the CHL, at least that's what we keep being told. In fact going overseas was the biggest boom or bust scenario as ripping through the CHL as an 18 year old would have been more likely then dominating a pro league. The difference between the two was that one was a pro league with top of the line accommodations and a million a year in compensation, and the other was a longer season for $1200 a month and riding buses. As I said competition mattered, it wasnt the number 1 reason though.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

I'm going to trust that Matthews family and his advisers put a lot of thought into the path that would best help him develop into a NHL player. He will hopefully have 15+ more years of pro hockey ahead of him. Personally, I doubt they would make a decision that prioritized his NLA salary over his development. You're obviously free to believe otherwise.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=120750069#post120750069

this is the latest thread about star player wanting to head to the leafs? I have been on this board for 20 years (September 5th 2017 makes 20) and I can tell ya-in those years--we have had ALOT of threads on star players heading to the LEAFS--for me it is nice to see the leafs on the receiving end of this threads once.
HOw many threads did we have on Stamkos wanting to go to TO? 120?
How many threads on McDavid holding out for a trade t the leafs?
now it is JOhn T

for me--until the leafs sign Matthews--other fan bases get to create the same threads leaf fans have created about plyers on the other teams. How do you think NYI fans like threads on JT to the leafs?

Be easy on us Leafs fans. We've been part of probably the most dysfunctional organization in sports for half a century.
Countless owners, countless GM's all ****ed up the team.
You Oilers fans only have had that for 10 years.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
The same way Larsson left NJ after his ELC ended?

There wasn't a single #4 who didn't have it either, until Larsson didn't get one, and then Marner. Larsson had no problem re-signing with the team. By the time the player is a UFA, he won't care that he got screwed out of bonuses his first 3 years. Stamkos was screwed (monetarily) on every single contract, and he still re-signed in TB for less (than other teams were offering) on his UFA contract.

Marner has performance bonuses in his contract by the way.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
If the delay is really Lou playing hardball with the kid over the relatively small peanuts of bonuses that are standard for all top draftees, then that could end up being a very bad idea. It certainly isn't the best way to build up goodwill with the prospect in question, I think we can all agree. Yet teams still depend on players taking team-friendly contracts in order to work the cap. You burn bridges before the kid has even played for you, how likely are they to want to play ball and give the team any sort of discount at all? Trying to play hardball now over some relatively minor bonus money could cost the team millions when it comes time to negotiate his first non-ELC contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad