Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Just curious how come he hasn't signed yet? Seems like all 1st overall sign within a week.

I dont get it either. Just offer the guy the max incentives just like other 1st overalls. Perhaps is something simple like his folks/agent cant come up to Toronto right now or whatnot.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Wasn't this thread shut down earlier this week?

Realities:

Leafs currently have $3.5M left under the cap this year (remember no LTIR cushion in the summer so Horton counts against the cap)
Jared Cowen buyout has not happened as planned, perhaps in the second buyout window depending on how the case against him goes (got surgery without telling the club and therefore is considered injured and cannot be bought out at 1/3 rate).
Jimmy Vesey is still out there and unlike Matthews is not under leafs control and can't be signed on opening night (He'll sign somewhere on the 15th of next month)

Matthews will get signed, he will get his money and all of this will be forgotten.

No LTIR cushion in the offseason but you can go 10% over the cap, so that point is moot. But yes Matthews will sign whenever he's ready to sign, this is a discussion if he's not signed by the time camp opens for the world's, not in mid July.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Eric Lindros 2.0? Maybe he doesn't want to play for the Leafs.

No. Lou is being a dick with the bonuses. Matthews should be given the same contract every other first OA has been given for the last 12 years. Anything less and I threaten to go back to Europe if I'm Matthews.

Lou is playing with fire here. Matthews has all of the leverage. He deserves the full bonuses and this is not the way to start off a relationship with the player you have waited a decade for and will be the face of your franchise for the next 15 years (hopefully). Lou still acts like it's the old days and he can chince players out of what they are truly worth.

There is no negotiating here if I'm Matthews. It's give me the full contract or I go back to Europe and you'll be fired within the week over the outrage. That's the reality of what Lou is flirting with IMO. Matthews isn't Lindros though, he just wants what he rightfully earned as a first OA. :popcorn:

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I dont get it either. Just offer the guy the max incentives just like other 1st overalls. Perhaps is something simple like his folks/agent cant come up to Toronto right now or whatnot.

The Leafs camera is broken, or maybe he doesn't want to take the obligatory contract signing picture with stitches in his lips. Both are more likely scenarios than the Leafs not offering him bonus money because of some vendetta Lou has with ELC's and bonuses.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Lou is a legendary GM, but this is dumb.

Lou may have a knack for some things (I like how he can get rid of bad contracts the way he does) but he shouldn't be overrated the way many fans do.

Look at it this way - Legendary GMs don't draft Adrian Foster in the first round of an entry draft.

If I was a Leaf fan I would be watching this situation develop with interest. Don Maloney may have to come in and fix this somehow.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
When do most 1st overall picks sign?

Usually in the first week or two. This is pretty unusual for this to last this long IMO. Hopefully Lou comes to his senses and signs the kid right away. The longer it goes on the tougher it is for the kid to feel all warm and fuzzy about it. I'd just want him signed so there is no distraction and he can get on with his training without any doubts about what is going on with his status.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
No LTIR cushion in the offseason but you can go 10% over the cap, so that point is moot. But yes Matthews will sign whenever he's ready to sign, this is a discussion if he's not signed by the time camp opens for the world's, not in mid July.

Sure you can go over by 10% but if you do that it limits any moves you can make if something shakes loose on the trade or waiver wire. Simply put Lou says he's not worried that it will get done Matthews says he's not worried, and the agent says he's not worried. I'll bet the contract is drawn up and is just waiting on the rest of the summer moves to be signed and faxed to the head office.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Usually in the first week or two. This is pretty unusual for this to last this long IMO. Hopefully Lou comes to his senses and signs the kid right away. The longer it goes on the tougher it is for the kid to feel all warm and fuzzy about it. I'd just want him signed so there is no distraction and he can get on with his training without any doubts about what is going on with his status.

It's been a whole two years since a 1st overall pick took this long to sign. A worrying trend for Leafs fans indeed.

Leafs - worst contract negotiators since 2014 AINEC.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Wasn't this thread shut down earlier this week? EDIT: sorry that was on the Leafs board.

Realities:

Leafs currently have $3.5M left under the cap this year (remember no LTIR cushion in the summer so Horton counts against the cap)
Jared Cowen buyout has not happened as planned, perhaps in the second buyout window depending on how the case against him goes (got surgery without telling the club and therefore is considered injured and cannot be bought out at 1/3 rate).
Jimmy Vesey is still out there and unlike Matthews is not under leafs control and can't be signed on opening night (He'll sign somewhere on the 15th of next month)

Matthews will get signed, he will get his money and all of this will be forgotten.

Why some posters in this thread don't understand the realities here is bewildering.

buttman*

Not true. Have a look at past signings.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
He's 18. The kid's probably out catching Pokemon. Leafs can't get a hold of him.
Maybe Lou should make the ACC a Pokemon "gym" site to get him there. :laugh:
It's been a whole two years since a 1st overall pick took this long to sign. A worrying trend for Leafs fans indeed.

Leafs - worst contract negotiators since 2014 AINEC.
I'm presuming this is sarcasm. Still, there is no easier contract to offer than one to a first OA. I don't get the hold up.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Sure you can go over by 10% but if you do that it limits any moves you can make if something shakes loose on the trade or waiver wire. Simply put Lou says he's not worried that it will get done Matthews says he's not worried, and the agent says he's not worried. I'll bet the contract is drawn up and is just waiting on the rest of the summer moves to be signed and faxed to the head office.

That's all fine and good, but there's no way the Leafs pass on signing Matthews just in case something else "shakes out" The Leafs cap room has nothing to do with him signing, if it did something else would happen other than Matthews not getting signed. I don't know what all the fuss is about, there are plenty of reasons it hasn't gotten done yet, the least likely of those is cap room with "Lou doesn't give bonuses" coming in close second. If it came right down to it you give a player away to make room for Matthews, this is a non issue.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Forgive my ignorance but I thought these contracts, as per the CBA, were standard for ELC depending on draft position. I thought negotiation rights for rookies was lost. Did something change? Is there any kind of limit placed on bonuses for rookies or are they free to hold out for any ridiculous amount of money they can get?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why some posters in this thread don't understand the realities here is bewildering.

This thread is payback for every thread started ssying Stamkos is a leaf or now John t from the nyi. If McDavid had not been signed by now last year we would have had ten threads sayin McDavid didn't want to be an oiler. Full circle of trouble

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
How exactly is it like that situation?

There ia absolutely zero evidence that anything is wrong. Its July 15th.

Well if it is true that Lou refuses to give bonuses and 1st OA ELCs are always loaded with bonuses then that is evidence that there is some friction, and likely a significant amount, between Auston's camp and Lou.

It could be a minor bump in the road or it could build animosity from Auston's camp toward the organization a la the Johansen situation.

As we all know Johansen did eventually sign with the Blue Jackets but his desire to be in Columbus had clearly soured after that whole mess all because Jarmo was too stubborn to make an exception for his franchise player.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
They have 4 years to sign him. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

So he can play overseas for 4 years making big money and then be able to come back over and sign with Arizona, or he can sign with the Leafs, make much less money, be in the spotlight that comes with being a Leaf, and maybe in 7 years be able to go to Arizona.

I think he'll sign with Toronto, but if he REALLY wants to play in Arizona, I could see him going the 4 year route. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about now, but the longer this goes, the more worried I'd be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad