Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Probably Lou trying to hold on no-bonus policy.

Since bonuses do not benefit for LTIR and Leafs have considerable LTIR commitments (Horton), fitting bonuses under the cap is tricky situation for Leafs. If they can persuade Matthews to forego bonuses, it would help the team greatly.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
The Leafs last few first rounders didn't sign for weeks or months after being drafted. I'm confident this is a non-issue.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Or maybe, and I know this may sound crazy...

They have gotten it done yet because it's only July 15th!!! and they may have more pressing matters like getting their RFA's signed before their arbitration dates.

Nah that can't be it.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Eric Lindros 2.0? Maybe he doesn't want to play for the Leafs.

Maybe. I don't see that happening in the current NHL. The league has changed dramatically in the last 20 years and how fans interact with the league and teams has also changed. It could be 'career suicide' pulling a move like that. Could happen though.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Eric Lindros 2.0? Maybe he doesn't want to play for the Leafs.

Not trying to be bias but the leafs is the worst team to pull this on with how much money they bring in and all I could see it getting ugly especially since the compensation is a joke. It would be the 31st overall pick

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Leafs are going to flip Matthews to Edmonton for McDavid and a first because Chia likes his big centres.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Lou has recognized his mistake in drafting a hockey player from Arizona (as if those actually exist) and is trying to package him in a trade for Sam Gagner.

Lou's in luck! Sam Gagner's a UFA at the moment, I believe.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs are going to flip Matthews to Edmonton for McDavid and a first because Chia likes his big centres.

Probably will get more. This guy traded Seguin and Hall for peanuts.

Matthews for McDavid + RNH.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Or maybe, and I know this may sound crazy...

They have gotten it done yet because it's only July 15th!!! and they may have more pressing matters like getting their RFA's signed before their arbitration dates.

Nah that can't be it.

No it can't be signing Peter Holland can't be priority over Mathews

hockey8686

May 25, 2016
I didnt know a signing had to be done immediately after you get drafted 1st overall.

I never said it did just thought it would happen sooner since he was a really good first overall. Was just curious. Didn't mean to upset you this early in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad