Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Leafs should have went with Laine or the good Canadian kid Dubois. Matthews isn't the type of player you want to build around. Clearly all he cares about is $$$, left for Europe to chase money, now he is holding out to get contract bonus'. I'm glad Lou is taking the right approach and trying to fix this kids attitude problem.
Look at the package Lindros returned, if he won't sign by the end of July I say ship him off and pick up some depth pieces to get this rebuild done.

Surely you jest?

All Avs fans heard during the ROR era was how he wasn't the type of player to build around and all he wanted was money. Now that he's a Sabre, he's the type of player to build around and is worth every penny.

Matthews is a phenomenal talent that Toronto is incredibly lucky to have. The poor kid hasn't even played a game in the NHL and some of you are insinuating that he's a greedy lockerroom cancer that should be traded for depth? Holy crap.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Leafs should have went with Laine or the good Canadian kid Dubois. Matthews isn't the type of player you want to build around. Clearly all he cares about is $$$, left for Europe to chase money, now he is holding out to get contract bonus'. I'm glad Lou is taking the right approach and trying to fix this kids attitude problem.
Look at the package Lindros returned, if he won't sign by the end of July I say ship him off and pick up some depth pieces to get this rebuild done.

Good idea, trade Mathews - this kid is obviously toxic.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
It is clear that Matthews does not understand that he should be taking the home town discount ahead of time. His luck at being picked by the Leafs is something he just does not get---not yet anyway. Be happy you are being nickel and dimed, be happy you will have to pay higher taxes than many other nhlers--you get to play for the Leafs. With the generous genial Lou and Chuckles Babcock as your guides you should look forward to many happy years in the centre of the world. Did I get this right?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Like Mirtle said on twitter, theres no need to be worried until it gets close to rookie camp.

I trust that one side will eventually give in.

Mad Brills*

Uh, AM will be at the World Cup, so wouldn't the leafs want to sign him before September 16th, so he's insured?

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Just wow... These comments are unbelievable.

Toronto fans/media are going to chase their "savior" out of town before he even signs his ELC.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Can't believe management is playing hard ball with his bonuses, just give him what he wants, not a good way to start with your franchise centre man.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008

What a crazy post, every number one pick gets max bonuses, I hope he goes over to Europe fans and media would go crazy. All they should of said is what bonuses do you want contract signed end of story

ForsakenSabre

Save Us MIttelstadt
Jan 31, 2013
Buffalo
I mean if you want to take a real literal look at things, hes on vacation right now according to instagram. Hard to sign when hes not in Toronto

They can fax it to him. So yes it's quite easy to sign when he isn't there

Hudson Fasching signed his rookie ELC contract while at school in Minnesota

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Toronto fans/media are going to chase their "savior" out of town before he even signs his ELC.

WTF are you talking about?

Majority of Leaf fans realize its only July 16th, and will start getting worried around training camp, then you have idiots/trolls (mostly non Leaf fans) who think this means Matthews is running back to Zurich to chase money.

I honestly don't believe you've even read this thread.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Uh, AM will be at the World Cup, so wouldn't the leafs want to sign him before September 16th, so he's insured?
Uh, that's two months away? Relax?

Except the majority of Leafs fans aren't worried at all. But nice try.

Since the draft lottery it's pretty much been anything to discredit the Leafs and put them down for something. Leafs win the lottery and suddenly Laine is the better player and the Leafs should take him, now it's Matthews being greedy, the Leafs being difficult and fans running him out of town. Comical really.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Wait, are the Leafs actually trying to low-ball Matthews from the get-go? lol

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It's pretty obvious that Lou is holding back the bonii and Matthews has a big offer from Europe to take him through his ELC years. If Lou doesn't pony up the scheds then he's off to Europe for a few years to make real money.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Wait, are the Leafs actually trying to low-ball Matthews from the get-go? lol

If so, that's pure stupidity. If you're Toronto, the last thing you want to do with your foreign, potential franchise center, is alienate him before he ever sets foot in your city. If he tells you to **** off, you lose more than he does. With guys like Eichel or Tavares or Matthews, you need them more than they need you.

With first overall picks, the price is the price. They get max base salary and near max bonuses, which can be 3 times that. I doubt Arizona could talk him into signing at 1/4 market rate. For Toronto to think he will is foolishness.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011

You have not got a clue what you are talking about.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
If the Leafs were going to try and pull this nonsense why did they even draft him? Should have just traded the pick.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
After Matthews signs his ELC what's the next thing HFBoards is going to focus on to try to make the Leafs' management group look dumb?

oilers84

Jun 24, 2009
Because Toronto is being stupid and now he's just going to sign with the oilers or Arizona lol

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
If the Leafs were going to try and pull this nonsense why did they even draft him? Should have just traded the pick.
What nonsense? The majority of 2016 1st rounders have not signed, Matthews/Toronto aren't the only ones. Ekblad signed in September, was Florida pulling nonsense and being stupid then?

Because Toronto is being stupid and now he's just going to sign with the oilers or Arizona lol
Doesn't work that way, pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad