Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
he's not getting a bridge though.

Rielly didn't.

And yeah, I'd hope he gets 8 x 7 or so in 2019.

Lou toyed with Rielly's agent and got a $5M AAV. He'll grind Matthews for a 6 x 6M and Matthews gets to UFA at age 27.

(I'm joshing with you, of course. I just think it's all a bit funny that there is a perspective that Lou is grinding Matthews over some bonuses. He's a franchise C drafted #1 overall. That's not the type of player you "grind" in negotiations over a few bonuses, unless you're very old school and want to wield power).

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Lou can grind him down to a cheap bridge deal in his second contract to keep him in his place. By the time he's ready for his 3rd contract at around age 23-24, he'll be eating from Lou's hand and sign for a sweetheart long-term deal. :laugh:

Yeah, it's not like Lou ever lost a star player in his prime to UFA or anything.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
There was a bunch of speculation around Ekblad, with people blaming everything from the Panthers' overall lack of success to the market they play in.

I think the bonuses are a red herring here, the real issue is that he wants to wear white skates.

Wasn't it Fedorov who used to wear the white skates?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
At the end of the day, if Lou's cilice belt is on a bit too tight he's bound to make Mathews seek other places for his 2nd contract.....

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What When Lou left the devils They were in real good shape

Well that is just simply not true....

On the overall topic.

He will sign, the only interesting thing is if Matthews tires of the Toronto scene quick enough to make it clear he will exhaust all of his RFA options to get to UFA quickly. We have no way of knowing that though and traditionally it seems unlikely, he isn't going to pull a Lindros on Toronto here.

He has enough power though really to tell Lou to stuff it on the white skates and his preferred number, kind hope he does. Might as well grow a Grizzly Adams beard while he is at, that is if he can yet.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Yeah, we are talking HOF boards here. I just can't believe the ignorance of some posters worried about Matthews not signing. Everyone knows damn well he is going to sign.

Hfboards have chased every good poster to other boards and we are now dealing with teenagers with agendas. So as stupid as this thread is, it is what it is. If anyone thinks this is anything else but a bait the leaf fans thread, well they are naïve.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
What When Lou left the devils They were in real good shape

That's the misconception but he really didn't. They were getting kind of old and desperately in need of a shakeup/rebuild.

This was one of the reasons why I was surprised when the Leafs hired him. Lou should have been allowed to retire - plain and simple.

I'm just hoping that Lou, in his old fartage, doesn't punt this Matthews contract and set the organization back.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That's the misconception but he really didn't. They were getting kind of old and desperately in need of a shakeup/rebuild.

This was one of the reasons why I was surprised when the Leafs hired him. Lou should have been allowed to retire - plain and simple.

I'm just hoping that Lou, in his old fartage, doesn't punt this Matthews contract and set the organization back.

Lou has done a great job so far.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
These threads are funny. No wa Mathews doesn't sign in Toronto. Just like there is no way Trouba doesnt sign in Winnipeg.

I wish people wouldn't just use these boards to try and "get" opposing fans.

The only way to "get" other fans is when your team beats them in the regular reason or playoffs

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Lou has done a great job so far.

He's done what any average GM could do. The only thing he's done that's above average is get rid of terrible contracts. The rest could have been done by most other GMs.

Just because he's better than previous Leaf GMs doesn't mean he's all that great in the grand scheme of things.

That's why it will be interesting to see what he does with this Matthews situation. It's something that calls for someone who's head is in the 21st century and I'm not sure Lou is up for it.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
lol @ the low-balling. If they are dumb enough to screw him over early on, it won't go well for the next contract discussions down the road.

Give the guy the maximum elc and move on

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's done what any average GM could do. The only thing he's done that's above average is get rid of terrible contracts. The rest could have been done by most other GMs.

Just because he's better than previous Leaf GMs doesn't mean he's all that great in the grand scheme of things.

That's why it will be interesting to see what he does with this Matthews situation. It's something that calls for someone who's head is in the 21st century and I'm not sure Lou is up for it.

It will get singed that's how this ends

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
His dog ate the contract.

This is my guess as well. Probably wants to sign in (insert Leafs most hated rival here). I think its an elaborate SCAM to bait and switch Leaf fans into a false sense of security before he takes off. :nod:

And while I am on the subject, you realize its 'Leaves' right? Not the 'Leafs' :rant:

I am almost at the point where I am going to ratt you out the the Queen.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Can you imagine if the leafs do trade him tho, if he won't sign.

They lose a franchise center, after begging for one for a decade. Would be pretty funny.

(than again, they would probably get a #1 d-man in return tho lol)

aqsw

PM
Sponsor
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg
Maybe. I don't see that happening in the current NHL. The league has changed dramatically in the last 20 years and how fans interact with the league and teams has also changed. It could be 'career suicide' pulling a move like that. Could happen though.

Sure killed Blake Wheelers NHL career:sarcasm:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This is my guess as well. Probably wants to sign in (insert Leafs most hated rival here). I think its an elaborate SCAM to bait and switch Leaf fans into a false sense of security before he takes off. :nod:

And while I am on the subject, you realize its 'Leaves' right? Not the 'Leafs' :rant:

I am almost at the point where I am going to ratt you out the the Queen.

Are people still going on about this?

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Funny that every poster here knows more than Shanahan and Co.
You think Shanny is going to let the relationship with AM sour?

You guys must be right, though. Shanny definitely isn't smart enough to know as much as you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad