Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
However, in reality, he also has the same thought as us. You get drafted 1st overall in the NHL, why the **** would you ask for more? Asking for more is what Eric Lindros did, he was an individual with an ego that was too big for him and he thought he was the hot shot that could do whatever he wants. Never bite the hand that feeds you. The result of his career is evidential proof.

HHoF?
I'd love Auston to reach that someday.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
He is already consider a bust after not scoring enough goals at the summer camp.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
at least it wasn't as bad as tim murray saying he's dissapointed for sabres fans.

:laugh: I don't think there is a GM in the league that annoys me more.

I was at the draft in Buffalo this year. The guy can't take anytime to thank or acknowledge the fans? Never acknowledges the team who developed the player. Just "Buffalo selects Alex Nylander"

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Obviously the answer to the question is the player is holding out for more money(bonuses) and or the team is playing hard ball. Likely both scenarios.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Bad optics. Rough start to a relationship.

There is only one reason he's not signed, an argument -- perhaps minor -- over price. Maybe, Lou saves a little money and he's proven right. Personally, I think you finish last and first pick gets a maximum bonus contract.

The point where it gets ugly is if upper Leafs management doesn't back Lou up. Matthews choices are clearly limited. Swiss league won't pay him more with bonuses. I suppose he could go to the KHL but that would be crazy.

Mathews will sign and for less than max bonus. Is it a smart long-term move, time will tell.

P.S. I'm a definite Leafs hater. But this team will get better. They've been tanking for players. This works over time -- unless your Edmonton for some reason.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Obviously the answer to the question is the player is holding out for more money(bonuses) and or the team is playing hard ball. Likely both scenarios.

How do you even know they are talking contract yet? Do you happen to know Pat Brisson or or the Leafs brass, that would be the only way to know.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Non-story. He'll be a Leaf before training camp and no one will remember or care about the bonuses by his next contract.

I say this as a lifelong Leaf hater.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
You said trade talk.

I'm sure every team is interested in McDavid and Laine too

Except both those players have contracts

Personally I'd be a little pissed if the guy who was picked behind me in a smaller market was given a maxed out contact and I was being hardballed to take less

And id sure as **** remember that when it came time to negotiate my next contract

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Until Matthews signs, why not discuss.

That said I'm sure he will sign. Ekblad didn't sign until September 3rd.

If there were something to discuss I'm sure it would of been, this is pure fantasy and speculation delivered provocatively by posters looking for reactions.

There is nothing to discuss really, Matthews said he's not worried about it and both LL and Shanny said its getting done. Their are more immediate things that need addressing. So what's to discuss?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Personally I'd be a little pissed if the guy who was picked behind me in a smaller market was given a maxed out contact and I was being hardballed to take less

I agree. Why would a team play hardball with one of the more prominent First overall choices in recent years? Just give the guy his bonuses and base and get on with the offseason.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I agree. Why would a team play hardball with one of the more prominent First overall choices in recent years? Just give the guy his bonuses and base and get on with the offseason.

Can you link to were you read they are hard balling him?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

One word.....Lou

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
There's already a rift between lamo/shanny and their special prize Matthews.

Probably because they were ready to sideline him for Stammer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How do you even know they are talking contract yet? Do you happen to know Pat Brisson or or the Leafs brass, that would be the only way to know.

Is this what you believe? Leafs and Matthews have not even talked yet?

This is a speculation thread, we are speculating, question was asked. Given Lamoriello's history of reluctance of giving max bonuses to drafted players in NJ. It is a good enough reason as speculation goes right now I surmise.

Dubois and Laine signed on June 29 and July 3. There are not many options for drafted players. So I would take the player is holding out for more money(bonuses) and or the team is playing hard ball scenario over the player and team have not even talked contract with player yet quite easily.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If there were something to discuss I'm sure it would of been, this is pure fantasy and speculation delivered provocatively by posters looking for reactions.

There is nothing to discuss really, Matthews said he's not worried about it and both LL and Shanny said its getting done. Their are more immediate things that need addressing. So what's to discuss?

The draft and free agency are over. What is more important than signing your franchise player?

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Can you link to were you read they are hard balling him?

Sportsnet

Here's another article

Lou praised himself for signing Larsson without any ELC bonuses. No doubt he's trying the same with Matthews. If bonuses weren't the case, then he would have been signed by now.

Both parties are now in a stalemate. Lou has more to lose, he'll fold and sign Matthews for all the maximum bonuses and the leafs will have their franchise player.

Like I said before though, I'm sure it won't leave a good impression on Matthews that a team which regards him as their Franchise center is hardballing him for a couple million in non-guarenteed bonuses.

Lou is only going to drive players away with his old school mentality.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Sportsnet

Here's another article

Lou praised himself for signing Larsson without any ELC bonuses. No doubt he's trying the same with Matthews. If bonuses weren't the case, then he would have been signed by now.

Both parties are now in a stalemate. Lou has more to lose, he'll fold and sign Matthews for all the maximum bonuses and the leafs will have their franchise player.

Like I said before though, I'm sure it won't leave a good impression on Matthews that a team which regards him as their Franchise center is hardballing him for a couple million in non-guarenteed bonuses.

Lou is only going to drive players away with his old school mentality.

Both those articles are speculative and don't prove squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad