Speculation: Why hasn't Auston Matthews signed yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Besides, Lou isn't here for the long term. He is here to mentor Dubas and show him how to handle the other GM's.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
They are. Every other ownership looks at them and tells their management just don't operate my franchise like the Toronto Maple Leafs or heads will roll.:sarcasm:

Too true lol. Hopefully this current management proves they knew what they were doing all along

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
This should be quite obvious, he wants to go to Arizona. Doesn't want to play in a market that will rip him apart if he doesn't put up 65+ points this year.

Matthews for Hanzal and 2nd. Announced on September 17th. Bet on it.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Again, by what measure? You aren't the best historically, you certainly aren't the best now, you're dead last in fan rankings not only for the NHL but out of all four major North American sports leagues, and you're not even the most valuable financially anymore. By what remotely plausible standard are the Leafs the biggest franchise in the league?

The fact that you're still posting in this thread should tell you something. Even with a dead last finish the Leafs get attention from outside. And fan rankings? Is that supposed to support an argument? Is it even arguable that leafs fans are one of, if not the most, loyal fanbase in the league? And what a convenient time to bring up the value of the franchise, right after a 30th place finish. Bravo.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Again, by what measure? You aren't the best historically, you certainly aren't the best now, you're dead last in fan rankings not only for the NHL but out of all four major North American sports leagues, and you're not even the most valuable financially anymore. By what remotely plausible standard are the Leafs the biggest franchise in the league?

Leafs dominate the headlines of every major hockey site whether they're good or bad. There's always a ton of Leafs fans in the building no matter where they go. For the first time in forever they aren't the most valuable financially, but were first for a decade if not more. The Leafs are always being talked about, hell you're contributing right now to that, with your 5 posts on the topic. Ekblad didn't sign his ELC until September that year, you know what he got? One thread on the Panthers board with 18 replies. :rolleyes: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1714861&highlight=ekblad

It doesn't matter. Leafs will be a consistent playoff team in a few years time once the pieces in the rebuild settle and mature. Just imagine how annoying a good Leafs team will be if you can't stand it already? :naughty:

Last edited:

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
It doesn't matter. Leafs will be a consistent playoff team in a few years time once the pieces in the rebuild settle and mature. Just imagine how annoying a good Leafs team will be if you can't stand it already? :naughty:

If that happens it's not the Leafs' team that's going to be even more annoying than it already is, I can tell you that.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
This proves that the Leafs have more haters than other teams have fans on this site. I would assume the 2nd largest fanbase on this site is leaf haters.

There's an obvious explanation for that, but I don't want to be accused of fanbase-bashing so I won't go there.

nickk382

Jun 11, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
I can't believe this question was even brought up. I mean no disrespect to the OP, but you have to understand that the Leafs own him already. They will eventually sign him before preseason begins, Matthews was the first thing on their plate before the draft and now he is the last thing on their plate before the season starts. They have bigger fish to fry right now than to work out a contract that will obviously be the no-brainer max amount 3 year ELC contract. I don't understand what the hell the guys on this forum are talking about with bonuses. Bonuses have nothing to do with the salary cap, Matthews will have a cap hit of less than a million and whatever bonus money he gets will not add onto that cap hit.

Call me full of ****, but I personally know Auston. He is just like any fan of hockey, if you were drafted 1st overall, the Leafs definitely wouldn't be any of our #1 choices unless you're a fan of them.

However, in reality, he also has the same thought as us. You get drafted 1st overall in the NHL, why the **** would you ask for more? Asking for more is what Eric Lindros did, he was an individual with an ego that was too big for him and he thought he was the hot shot that could do whatever he wants. Never bite the hand that feeds you. The result of his career is evidential proof.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
I can't believe this question was even brought up. I mean no disrespect to the OP, but you have to understand that the Leafs own him already. They will eventually sign him before preseason begins, Matthews was the first thing on their plate before the draft and now he is the last thing on their plate before the season starts. They have bigger fish to fry right now than to work out a contract that will obviously be the no-brainer max amount 3 year ELC contract. I don't understand what the hell the guys on this forum are talking about with bonuses. Bonuses have nothing to do with the salary cap, Matthews will have a cap hit of less than a million and whatever bonus money he gets will not add onto that cap hit.

Call me full of ****, but I personally know Auston. He is just like any fan of hockey, if you were drafted 1st overall, the Leafs definitely wouldn't be any of our #1 choices unless you're a fan of them.

However, in reality, he also has the same thought as us. You get drafted 1st overall in the NHL, why the **** would you ask for more? Asking for more is what Eric Lindros did, he was an individual with an ego that was too big for him and he thought he was the hot shot that could do whatever he wants. Never bite the hand that feeds you. The result of his career is evidential proof.

You are so wrong about this yes bonuses count on the cap.He will get the max which will be 925k and 2.850m in bonuses for a 3.775 cap hit.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I asked what are the chances of Matthews to be back with Lions. He more or less suggested that the queen would do a sex act on my and half time at super bowl before Matthews was back with the Lions.

Judging from what some people are saying here you're gonna have to plan a trip.

Mad Brills*

Again, if he isn't signed in 6 1/2 weeks, then it's time to worry.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Well he did look miserable. This wasn't just Leaf fans who said it and you know it.

Youre right. It was jealous fans of other teams too. ;)

If McDavid didnt look happy, Matthews didnt either

Big difference being McDavid still gets to live and play in his country

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

You should tell Chicago that they don't have to worry about the bonus money Panarin earned last season counting against their cap. They will be very happy to hear this.

Mad Brills*

You should tell Chicago that they don't have to worry about the bonus money Panarin earned last season counting against their cap. They will be very happy to hear this.

leafs have enough money in expiring UFAs to absorb that cap hit.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

In no way am I a fan of Lindros the person and it is without question that the trade changed the fate of Quebec/Colarado. The result of his career is a result of multiple concussions and punctured lungs. A hall of Fame career mind you that was a result of a Stanley Cup final Captaincy, Olympic and WJC Gold, Hart Trophy and multiple 40 goal seasons.

Mad Brills*

In no way am I a fan of Lindros the person and it is without question that the trade changed the fate of Quebec/Colarado. The result of his career is a result of multiple concussions and punctured lungs. A hall of Fame career mind you that was a result of a Stanley Cup final Captaincy, Olympic and WJC Gold, Hart Trophy and multiple 40 goal seasons.

he would have to show a massive change of heart to pull a lindros now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad