Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well I mean, he’s a stone’s throw away from where the Wings play, so no doubt the scouting staff has had ample opportunity to watch him. If he’s truly the better pick, I imagine they’ll snag him. I put much more trust into this management than I did Wright and company.

Devellano and Osgood are in the ownership group in Saginaw. Kienan Draper was drafted by them, though he choose to go the college route. By the way I would think about taking a late round flier on Draper's kid this year. I think he should go in the 5th - 7th round range. 6'1" 185 lbs right shot winger that was decent this year and will play in Chilliwack next year before going to Miami of Ohio.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Name me the #1 or #2 C that is sub 5'11" without elite skating getting it done in the NHL?

If I had to name the player Perfetti reminds me of, it would probably be Claude Giroux in terms of ceiling. I don't think he will transition over to center, then again Giroux was always better out on the wing than he was at center anyway in my opinion.

I do wish we could get somebody right-handed for a change though.

Yeah I can understand being afraid of Rossi because of his size, but somebody has to be first and Rossi produced really well this year. I think he has a lot of projectable skills, his hands are great, he's really strong on the puck, he can pass and shoot. I do understand the worries that his game will struggle at the next level against stronger guys because he plays that skilled grinder style. He has a lot of strength for his low center of gravity and I don't think it's crazy to think he'll be able to play his game even against stronger guys.

I like the Giroux comparison for Perfetti to be honest.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I thought Perfetti played primarily Center?

He plays some center, there are those that believe he can play that spot. I am not sure, of course we are going to want skating gains if we take him fourth and it really is his foot speed that has me worried about center, smaller player too.

I believe his offense will translate, he makes a lot of high-end NHL passes. Has a deceptively heavy and quick release. The offensive abilities are really big and he can already change pace which is smart. He has good one on one play as well.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Name me the #1 or #2 C that is sub 5'11" without elite skating getting it done in the NHL?

If I had to name the player Perfetti reminds me of, it would probably be Claude Giroux in terms of ceiling. I don't think he will transition over to center, then again Giroux was always better out on the wing than he was at center anyway in my opinion.

I do wish we could get somebody right-handed for a change though.

Zetterberg

Reactions: Que

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Lundell is overrated too. High floor, lower ceiling kind of guy. Basically someone you want in the middle of the first round at best. Not in the top 5.

I'm just not sure that there are many better players available. Players with higher potential maybe...but those are, at that point at least, punts and not the ones listed in this poll. Lundell is gonna be a great two way middle six Center at least.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Zetterberg

Listed at 6' tall.

By the way even if he isn't. Rossi isn't even 5'9" either.

I would also say Rossi skates more like broken back version of Zetterberg than young Zetterberg too.

I think his talent level was far superior to Rossi from what I have seen too. We will see, I don't see it with Rossi like I have been saying for a while. Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg were underdeveloped guys that had a lot of growth left in them, also something that doesn't describe Rossi.

6th and 7th round picks, not #4...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The No. 1 pick draft: NHL execs reveal how Alexis Lafreniere...

This was really interesting article, how Lafreniere slots against former 1st overall picks. These unnamed scout and executive comments about positions were very interesting. They value certaing things differently than many in here.

They drafted a Top10 of former 10 1st overalls + Lafreniere

McDavid was absolute first and then there was some debate between Matthews and MacKinnon at 2nd and 3rd.

Then from 4th spot, Lafriene came to discussion:

“It’s between Dahlin and Lafreniere for me,” he said. “If Lafreniere was a center, it wouldn’t be close. Hughes, he’s small. Nugent-Hopkins is really smart. Hischier is an interesting one, I don’t think he’s a No. 1 center. He’s more of a two. He’s a really, really good all-around player. Just a smart, two-way, skilled, low-maintenance guy. But I don’t think he’s a pure No. 1.”

“It’s close. Given the fact that Dahlin is a No. 1 D, I would take that over the winger,” said the scout. “Take Dahlin off Buffalo and put him in Colorado, and he’s a completely different player.”

“It’s almost like a gene the great ones have. In big moments, they step up. All the best players in the world – the top, top guys – have that. That’s the thing (Sidney) Crosby has. (Alex) Ovechkin has. It’s that ability to just say, ‘This is me. This is where I’m going to be.’ It’s that ‘It’ factor. When the game is on the line, there’s one person on the planet you want on the ice. I think Lafreniere has that,” the scout said.

“You can’t replace that 30 minute a night D,” he said. And settled on Dahlin.

So finally, Dahlin was 4th on this debate and Lafreniere 5th.

“For me, the Q is one thing. The U20s, Lafreniere was outstanding,” said the executive. “It was pretty amazing to see his ability to get to different places and finish. It seems like he didn’t feel any pressure, which was impressive. Hall obviously comes into play here. Hischier comes into play, but I think Lafreniere has the higher upside. He’s also not afraid to be competitive physically, which is a differentiating factor.”

6th were Jack Hughes and 7th was Aaron Ekblad.

“I think Hughes was rushed. He shouldn’t have been in the league,” said the executive. “He’s not a very big body and it’s not like he was going to the St. Louis Blues or Boston Bruins. I’m not sure he can play No. 1 center, there’s not many No. 1 centers who are that size. I do think he has dynamic qualities like his brother (Quinn Hughes). There’s still upside. I’m not sure he gets there, he has to get stronger, but the talent itself is huge.”

“It’s an interesting exercise because a lot of these guys are really young and not established. Hischier, I’m worried about his ceiling. Ekblad went into a dip but I think they’ve got him going in the right direction. The upside of Hughes is pretty scary.”

“It would be between Ekblad and Taylor Hall,” said the executive in picking Ekblad. “He’s a guy who gives you 23, 24 minutes a night. He’s a right-shot defenseman. That would be hard to pass up. Taylor is a winger. If he’s a center, maybe it’s him. But I’d take Ekblad and I think Taylor is right behind him.”

8th was Nico Hischier and 9th was Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. So they preferred a 2nd line center before a 1st line winger. That's pretty telling about the center value.

“He’s a No. 2 but I think he’s responsible,” said the executive of Hischier. “He has high-end skill. I like his skillset overall, in terms of brains, hands, skating and puck skills. If he’s a No. 2 center … that’s a pretty high-end player. What’s (Patrice) Bergeron? Is he a legitimate No. 1 center? A lot of people say yeah, but when he was Hischier’s age, he was probably labeled as a really good No. 2. That’s how I see Hischier. He’s a bonafide, legitimate, still-developing, young, second-line center.”

As for skipping Hall?
“I respect the fact that he won the Hart and can produce points and his speed. … But you can always find wingers,” explained the executive.

10th was Taylor Hall and Nail Yakupov (obviously) was left outside as the only bust one.

So what they really gave value in this discussion, was Center position, and skill Centers with size on that position. That really puts the value of a guy like Byfield very high. Right-handed D was mentioned and logging big minuted was mentioned. We already have that on Seider and Hronek. Drysdale could have some value for other teams, but not maybe for us.

"You can always find wingers" is a great comment. That's how it is, everybodys free agents are wingers and centers a locked to contracts. You have to draft your own centers.

You have to value the center position lot more when you are determing the BPA.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJB and odin1981

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zetterberg was better skater than Datsyuk, both supposed to be bottom six.

Two-way Selke centers have been our bread and butter since 1990.

Yzerman, Fedorov, Draper, Larionov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Larkin.

If we want success again, I have a hunch we should prepare for a that kind of pick. 2021 draft isn't offering that kind of tool. Steve god damn Yzerman knows these things.

Reactions: lilidk

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I wouldn’t be shocked if we took Lundell tbh

I'd do it. If it was a 6th overall I'd say let's gamble and take Amirov. But you can't afford to miss out on a 4th overall if you're the Redwings right now.

Christien

May 1, 2010
I think Raymond is our guy if the top 3 goes as expected. I think he’s got the competitiveness and determination in his game that Yzerman said he’s looking for. He didn’t have the best year last season, but he didn’t get a whole lot of opportunity, either. He’s another winger, but at least he’s a righty that can play on both wings.

Drysdale and Sanderson are guys I could see us liking as well. Especially with how adept both guys are at skating. I vaguely remember Draper saying something about how he liked I think it was maybe Boqvist(?), I think Drysdale is similar. Not as flashy, but better defensively.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Will there be any leagues playing before the draft? If so, it could help us quite a bit if some player overperform and throw a wrench in the mix.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
perfetti is the only player at 4 that has the ceiling that can make me forget about the lottery debacle. Of course he has a massive bust potential. So i wont be upset with any pick, except for sanderson who would be a shortsighted pick imo.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
The only people that make sense at 4 are Drysdale, Rossi or Sanderson. Drafting a winger at this spot would be quite foolish to say the least. Perfetti is not a center and he is also not a great skater and Raymond is strictly a winger.

This is never going to get better unless it starts addressing needs with their high picks.

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Perfetti is very interesting, because of his development potential. If they know some certain parameters about this (thanks to Devellano connections) I'm not surpriced if we take him.

Center is definitely a need, and I would skip those natural wingers at #4. But Perfetti has some potential to develop for a center spot, as well as Veleno and Rasmussen, and all three can't fail. You just have to have more "lottery tickect" for also that to happen.

Stützle hasn't played as a Center for a while expect at German U20 team, but many are so sure he is a sure bet at center. I think only Byfield is, both Tim and Perfetti have some uncertainties.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Will there be any leagues playing before the draft? If so, it could help us quite a bit if some player overperform and throw a wrench in the mix.

Finnish Liiga is starting 3 weeks later than regularily, at October 1st. Champions LEague will start at 6th October and Stutzle (Mannheim) and Rossi (Zurich) will play at 7th October.

There will be some practise tournaments already on August. Tappara (2nd rounder Simontaival) and HIFK (Lundell) start at 7th August.

Don't know how Sweden has scheduled.

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
Dunno who they take at 4, but i would love to see the wings pick up Askarov later on too by trading back in

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I won't be at all surprised to see Yzerman take askarov at #4

Nope. You draft goalies high only in weak drafts like that 2012 was.

Team who will take Askarov is some strong team which will fall early from the playoffs, but has everything else already on place + aging starter.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
f*** no, dont take Drysdale, that would be disaster and waste of pick for us. Better take Sanderson if we are going to draft D he is left handed and he seems much smarter and better in his own zone than Drysdale.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
f*** no, dont take Drysdale, that would be disaster and waste of pick for us. Better take Sanderson if we are going to draft D he is left handed and he seems much smarter and better in his own zone than Drysdale.

Next draft has 4-5 better defenceman than Drysdale or Sanderson, and you can get them at Top8. That's a defenceman draft, not now.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sam Cosentino on yesterday’s 31 Thoughts podcast said a couple of times that he thinks Cole Perfetti is a kick to Detroit. Almost as much a lock at #4 as Lafreniere is at #1, in his view.

I hope so.

Can someone convince me why Perfetti is better than Rossi at 4? Is it just cause of size purely? I know they’re really really similar.

Rossi is one of the oldest in his class and apparently already pretty well topped out physically. He has trained like a pro for years so he isnt going to be able to get a lot of athletic gains in his game. Hes lower risk but you kinda get what you see. Perfetti has higher offensive upside and apparently is behind the development curve athletically. Hes a guy that could still grow an inch and pack on a lot of muscle. Seeing where his game is at already with the potential there for his skating to improve a bunch with maturity makes him one of the highest upside players in the draft.

I don't see either guy as a center, it would be interesting if Detroit sees Perfetti as a center though.

I dont see a reason Perfetti couldnt become a center. His top peed will need to gain a gear to become a complete force but I think his skating is tracking good enough to be a top line guy. Hes definitely not big but for a little skilled guy, he has a bit of that Datsyuk ability to shrug off hits and body guys a little bit. Hes listed as an inch taller than Datsyuk on hockeydb but without the combine who knows how tall he actually is. He doesnt "look" short when I watch him play.

I think a good comparison is Giroux actually. Similar size and skating, might get moved out to wing if the team has center depth but can also kick inside and play center if needed. If they dont get a permanent center at 4 but get a guy thats capable of playing it if needed than I'm okay with that

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hope so.

Rossi is one of the oldest in his class and apparently already pretty well topped out physically. He has trained like a pro for years so he isnt going to be able to get a lot of athletic gains in his game. Hes lower risk but you kinda get what you see. Perfetti has higher offensive upside and apparently is behind the development curve athletically. Hes a guy that could still grow an inch and pack on a lot of muscle. Seeing where his game is at already with the potential there for his skating to improve a bunch with maturity makes him one of the highest upside players in the draft.

I dont see a reason Perfetti couldnt become a center. His top peed will need to gain a gear to become a complete force but I think his skating is tracking good enough to be a top line guy. Hes definitely not big but for a little skilled guy, he has a bit of that Datsyuk ability to shrug off hits and body guys a little bit. Hes listed as an inch taller than Datsyuk on hockeydb but without the combine who knows how tall he actually is. He doesnt "look" short when I watch him play.

I think a good comparison is Giroux actually. Similar size and skating, might get moved out to wing if the team has center depth but can also kick inside and play center if needed. If they dont get a permanent center at 4 but get a guy thats capable of playing it if needed than I'm okay with that

Yeah I have been saying Giroux for a little bit, I think Giroux was best playing out at the wing anyway. So maybe he can play it but I think long-term we are probably hoping he plays on the wing with a Raty or Wright. I would develop him as a center because it creates good habits, like he should play it next year in Saginaw if there is a CHL season.

I would be fully behind taking a chance on Perfetti because he has a big time ceiling. I am not certain he gets there, but it is a homerun cut and I support those in terms of drafting philosophies.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Listed at 6' tall.

By the way even if he isn't. Rossi isn't even 5'9" either.

I would also say Rossi skates more like broken back version of Zetterberg than young Zetterberg too.

I think his talent level was far superior to Rossi from what I have seen too. We will see, I don't see it with Rossi like I have been saying for a while. Both Datsyuk and Zetterberg were underdeveloped guys that had a lot of growth left in them, also something that doesn't describe Rossi.

6th and 7th round picks, not #4...

Perfetti will probably be listed 6' tall someday, too.

I have no interest in Rossi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad