Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
All of the world juniors, and probably 7 or so games on OHL Live. I saw him in Sudbury the year prior but last year the Otters were in town during the juniors unfortunately.

In addition to his skating hes an elite puck mover and has a wicked shot from the blueline as well. At the bare minimum he's the same quality of prospect as Byram last year, but I think he's better.

He was the first 17 year old dman to make team Canada in like 10 years, that says alot.

I don't see that at all. Maybe the select games I watched he had an off night in terms of shooting or something, because if I'm being honest, his shot was underwhelming to me. I'll have to go watch more, and maybe I'm the one who is actually wrong here, but I found his shot to be relatively weak.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like Drysdale BUT... we're almost certainly taking a dman next draft as well. Maybe we can convert one to forward? /Sarcasm
why cannot defenseman become forward and vise versa . Bowey is not a bad hockey player offensively, but as defenseman he does time to time bad things, Cholo was the same . I remember Fedorov played as defenseman . At the time I thought it was waste of his talent , but he was as good as forward.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
At the lottery we didn't have any luck, i hope we get lucky at the draft then. I could see there being, a slight chance to get Stutzle. Ottawa could pick Raymond & Holtz duo, since they already have great a chemistry. Sens center depth is decent, and having a chance to get "new Sedin twins" must be tempting. Chances for a Stutzle are slim, but hope dies last i guess.

Yzerman goes with BPA, but it's hard to say whos it going to be. Lot of options available Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz, Drysdale, Sanderson.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
The only consultation prize I would possibly want at 4 is Rossi.

We’ve had the lowest goal scoring average in the league 4 years in a row. We absolutely need to be better up front, and that starts at Center. Rossi could possibly be that fit and apparently has great work ethic which Stevie Y is big on.

I’m absolutely not convinced on Raymond. Kid or not, playing on a stacked team and only getting a few points does not look great. He has bust potential written all over.

All that being said, this means we’ll probably draft Raymond or Askarov and will just add to the long list of disappointments the last 10 years.

If all we’re going by is points then Rossi should be the pick I guess? Rossi racked up points against junior talent and is 6 months older than Raymond. Can’t just go by stats.

How many minutes did Raymond get with Frolunda? How does his production compare to draft eligibles playing in the SHL at the same age?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, you and TZE are giving me tremendous anxiety. I've pretty much accepted Askarov or Sanderson as the pick and that's a Michael Rasmussen situation for me.

You really shouldn't stress about if the Wings take Askarov. He's incredible. Ras came with all kinds of red flags. That's not Askarov. He's an elite goalie prospect with athleticism off the charts. Watching him play is only comparable to the best goalies in the league.

Did anyone ever say watching Ras play is comparable to the best players in the league? Nah.

The only argument that holds water against the goalie is that he's a goalie. That's it. His ability, to me, is undeniable. But the only debate is if you can find another elite skaters instead.

If you believe Raymond or someone else can be elite, I understand that and get why you want them. But if you're just avoiding the goalie because goalie, that's a mistake. A big mistake that we saw teams make in 2005.

Don't pass on the elite piece for a gamble. There's my entire thesis.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'd say draft Drysdale because if all he becomes is a top 4 defenseman, they are still a valuable commodity and are tough to get on the open market or through trade. The last thing this team needs is another 45 point forward that plays on the second line.

Reactions: invsb321

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't know how easy or hard to play left or right . I believe it is easy for Seider. Drysdale is a BRA at 4. He is leader , unlike Hughes and Makar, Drysdale good defensively . He brings whole package , true #1 defenseman .

Reactions: invsb321

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
not sure how much of it is just wishful thinking on my part because I really want a Center(and a playmaker in general) but think i'm sold enough on Perfetti at this point to be okay with taking him at 4

so him,Raymond,or Drysdale

i'd lean towards a forward in general with how many great defenseman prospects there will be next year and think i'd still rather have Raymond than Perfetti at this point

I want to be higher on Rossi as well but the whole finished product narrative just resonates for me too much at this point there,Holtz is fine but not a great fit and just don't like him enough to overcome that

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't know how easy or hard to play left or right . I believe it is easy for Seider. Drysdale is a BRA at 4. He is leader , unlike Hughes and Makar, Drysdale good defensively . He brings whole package , true #1 defenseman .

Drysdale is overrated. So is everybody on that poll except Lundell. There will be surprises at the draft with most of these guys losing ground. You heard it here first.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
You really shouldn't stress about if the Wings take Askarov. He's incredible. Ras came with all kinds of red flags. That's not Askarov. He's an elite goalie prospect with athleticism off the charts. Watching him play is only comparable to the best goalies in the league.

Did anyone ever say watching Ras play is comparable to the best players in the league? Nah.

The only argument that holds water against the goalie is that he's a goalie. That's it. His ability, to me, is undeniable. But the only debate is if you can find another elite skaters instead.

If you believe Raymond or someone else can be elite, I understand that and get why you want them. But if you're just avoiding the goalie because goalie, that's a mistake. A big mistake that we saw teams make in 2005.

I can see that the tools are there, he's big, he doesn't overcommit, super athletic, follows the play genuinely really well. But honestly every time I've watched him he's had two things I don't like. He let's in a lot of squeakers through his body and totally falls to pieces whenever the game is going poorly. Being mentally strong is big for me with goalies. I liked Mrazek from day 1 because he had that fire and got up for big games. I see the opposite in Askarov.

And then yeah it's honestly a lot to do with him being a goalie. I think taking a goalie in the third every year and hoping he's hot at the right time is a much better strategy than having an actually elite one because they fall apart half the time anyway. I think with 4th OA we can get an impactful skater who makes the job easier on whoever our goalie happens to be, and that will go a lot further than having Askarov in nets behind a weaker team even if he does turn into Price.

CW11

Aug 18, 2012
Sam Cosentino on yesterday’s 31 Thoughts podcast said a couple of times that he thinks Cole Perfetti is a kick to Detroit. Almost as much a lock at #4 as Lafreniere is at #1, in his view.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Drysdale is overrated. So is everybody on that poll except Lundell. There will be surprises at the draft with most of these guys losing ground. You heard it here first.

Lundell is overrated too. High floor, lower ceiling kind of guy. Basically someone you want in the middle of the first round at best. Not in the top 5.

Sam Cosentino on yesterday’s 31 Thoughts podcast said a couple of times that he thinks Cole Perfetti is a kick to Detroit. Almost as much a lock at #4 as Lafreniere is at #1, in his view.

Because he's a moron.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Is there a time stamp?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

The bigger thing with Askarov is that his athleticism isn't why he's good. Just like Carey Price. He's not great because he's flying around and making highlight reel saves every time. You want guys who certainly have that athletic edge to their game... but goalies are positioning, positioning, positioning. It's why Petr Mrazek is a horrendously inconsistent goalie. Any guy with athletic talent can put together a little streak of time where they are good. Elite goalies are elite in their positioning. Hasek was as good as he was because as unorthodox as his play style was, he cut off angles and gave shooters nothing to shoot at. That is why even if other guys play with Hasek's style (Gustavsson for one), they're nowhere near as good as he was.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Can someone convince me why Perfetti is better than Rossi at 4? Is it just cause of size purely? I know they’re really really similar.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Can someone convince me why Perfetti is better than Rossi at 4? Is it just cause of size purely? I know they’re really really similar.

Better offensive ceiling, not as far along as a player either. But better passer, more lethal shot. I can get behind Perfetti. You have to believe you can get another step in his skating, but with another step in his skating I see a top 10 winger in the league. I am sure when he makes trips north with Drapes and Ozzie Yzerman sees a little Kucherov in Perfetti.

I don't see either guy as a center, it would be interesting if Detroit sees Perfetti as a center though.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

This wouldn't surprise me at all, they will know him very well.

Now would they give him #91???

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think Perfetti's skill game is better. He has superior hands, and vision/IQ in my view. I like Rossi more because I think he's more willing to go to the tough areas, further along in his development with a very mature game, and just produced so very well that I tend to be more confident projecting him. I think they're different players in a lot of ways and I think Perfetti has higher potential while Rossi feels safer to me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Perfetti's skill game is better. He has superior hands, and vision/IQ in my view. I like Rossi more because I think he's more willing to go to the tough areas, further along in his development with a very mature game, and just produced so very well that I tend to be more confident projecting him. I think they're different players in a lot of ways and I think Perfetti has higher potential while Rossi feels safer to me.

Name me the #1 or #2 C that is sub 5'11" without elite skating getting it done in the NHL?

If I had to name the player Perfetti reminds me of, it would probably be Claude Giroux in terms of ceiling. I don't think he will transition over to center, then again Giroux was always better out on the wing than he was at center anyway in my opinion.

I do wish we could get somebody right-handed for a change though.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Better offensive ceiling, not as far along as a player either. But better passer, more lethal shot. I can get behind Perfetti. You have to believe you can get another step in his skating, but with another step in his skating I see a top 10 winger in the league. I am sure when he makes trips north with Drapes and Ozzie Yzerman sees a little Kucherov in Perfetti.

I don't see either guy as a center, it would be interesting if Detroit sees Perfetti as a center though.

Well I mean, he’s a stone’s throw away from where the Wings play, so no doubt the scouting staff has had ample opportunity to watch him. If he’s truly the better pick, I imagine they’ll snag him. I put much more trust into this management than I did Wright and company.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Name me the #1 or #2 C that is sub 5'11" without elite skating getting it done in the NHL?

If I had to name the player Perfetti reminds me of, it would probably be Claude Giroux in terms of ceiling. I don't think he will transition over to center, then again Giroux was always better out on the wing than he was at center anyway in my opinion.

I do wish we could get somebody right-handed for a change though.

I thought Perfetti played primarily Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad