Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Zetterberg was better skater than Datsyuk, both supposed to be bottom six.

Seriously? Datsyuk had amazing edgework and quick. Zetterberg was strong on the puck (like Perfetti is) but Z was a clunky skater. No speed and average at best agility. Perfetti has agility. Perfetti is a better skater right now than Zetterberg ever was in his prime.

raymond23

lgrw
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
He plays some center, there are those that believe he can play that spot. I am not sure, of course we are going to want skating gains if we take him fourth and it really is his foot speed that has me worried about center, smaller player too.

I believe his offense will translate, he makes a lot of high-end NHL passes. Has a deceptively heavy and quick release. The offensive abilities are really big and he can already change pace which is smart. He has good one on one play as well.

Please pick this kid. Patty Kane Jr

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Seriously? Datsyuk had amazing edgework and quick. Zetterberg was strong on the puck (like Perfetti is) but Z was a clunky skater. No speed and average at best agility. Perfetti has agility. Perfetti is a better skater right now than Zetterberg ever was in his prime.
I like Perfetti for his skills and hockey IQ, but if he is not physically strong, Yzerman not going to take him. If he doesn't show up for every single game. I don't remember D&Z have any days off. Perfetti going to be great ,just give him Bertuzzi and Fabbri, but I don't want to see him with Zadina and Perliny. Rossi will play in any situation and if Rossi become someone like Zetterberg, he can help to win Stenly cup for his team

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I like Perfetti for his skills and hockey IQ, but if he is not physically strong, Yzerman not going to take him. If he doesn't show up for every single game. I don't remember D&Z have any days off. Perfetti going to be great ,just give him Bertuzzi and Fabbri, but I don't want to see him with Zadina and Perliny. Rossi will play in any situation and if Rossi become someone like Zetterberg, he can help to win Stenly cup for his team

I agree. My hunch is that Yzerman likes Rossi more than Perfetti.

For what it's worth, I know for a fact that Yzerman attended more than one 67s game this year. Of course this means very little, and that he is just doing his due diligence in scouting potential targets, but I know he at least went to watch Rossi live on more than 1 occasion.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree. My hunch is that Yzerman likes Rossi more than Perfetti.

For what it's worth, I know for a fact that Yzerman attended more than one 67s game this year. Of course this means very little, and that he is just doing his due diligence in scouting potential targets, but I know he at least went to watch Rossi live on more than 1 occasion.

Sam Cosentino isn't the only one I have heard say the Wings are sky high on Perfetti. It could be smoke to intentionally throw people off, I really doubt it though. Especially the people I have heard it from before a big national type went there.

I do think they like Rossi as well, just not above Perfetti from what I have heard. Not that he cannot change that over in the NLA this fall.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Compete level is not anything I've heard Bob McKenzie nor any other respectable analysis criticize towards Perfetti. It's almost like that was made up by some moron on a random post and everyone started echoing it as if it is fact.

Either way, I trust Yzerman's judgement over my, your and Bob McKenzies' opinion.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Sam Cosentino isn't the only one I have heard say the Wings are sky high on Perfetti. It could be smoke to intentionally throw people off, I really doubt it though. Especially the people I have heard it from before a big national type went there.

I do think they like Rossi as well, just not above Perfetti from what I have heard. Not that he cannot change that over in the NLA this fall.

Who else did you hear this from? I'm just saying, I don't think any GM out there is going to show their hand before the chips are in. It's one thing for analysts like Cosentino to speculate, because it's their job, so I'm wondering if we have heard any reputable source attached to the organization mentioning Perfetti.

I like Perfetti, the skill is undeniable. But to me, he's a winger, and we already have a bunch of wingers. Also, I know Yzerman loves players with character, and Perfetti has a few red flags. They could be warranted, or could also just be media driven bull****.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I don't know how easy or hard to play left or right . I believe it is easy for Seider. Drysdale is a BRA at 4. He is leader , unlike Hughes and Makar, Drysdale good defensively . He brings whole package , true #1 defenseman .

if you actually watched Hughes you know he’s isn’t bad defensively. Anyway, good luck with pick 4.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Who else did you hear this from? I'm just saying, I don't think any GM out there is going to show their hand before the chips are in. It's one thing for analysts like Cosentino to speculate, because it's their job, so I'm wondering if we have heard any reputable source attached to the organization mentioning Perfetti.

I like Perfetti, the skill is undeniable. But to me, he's a winger, and we already have a bunch of wingers. Also, I know Yzerman loves players with character, and Perfetti has a few red flags. They could be warranted, or could also just be media driven bull****.

They aren't going to go on the record for it as an organization before the draft. But I trust the people I have heard it from.

Cosentino is Sportsnets prospect guy, I know it isn't Button but let's not pretend that him claiming Perfetti to the Wings at 4 now seems as forgone a conclusion as Lafreniere going one is nothing. That is a big statement.

I don't think Perfetti has big compete issues at all. I think he needs to keep progressing physically. But I think the floating angle a few people have here is pretty far from what I have heard on him. There is a reason he moved up three slots to five with McKenzie with a ten team sample size. The players being pointed out for that everyone is worried stuff usually drop like a rock in the final polling giving us that indication. Perfetti actually went up and honestly I think that is people getting to see him with Suzuki after the deadline and remembering how he crushed the Hlinka. You put more talent around him and he looks even better.

Reactions: Christien

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am still feeling back and forth on Drysdale, he seems like about as sure fire top 4 material as a draft can produce but my gut tells me he just doesn't have the upside to justify 4th. We really need someone that is going to move the dial on this rebuild in a significant way. I feel open to a bit of risk now that we are picking 4th. I like how Drysdale helps fill out our top 4 but he doesn't have that carry the organiztion on his back like we need. I think I am leaning more towards someone with higer upside and maybe even boom bust. I originally voted Drysdale. This is a huge pick for the organiztion. No pressure Yzerman lol

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Still a long haul until the draft. There's plenty of time for a wrench. Wonder what the price would be to swap 3 and 4 with Ottawa? Talent level of the players may not be tangible enough for the swap.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
They aren't going to go on the record for it as an organization before the draft. But I trust the people I have heard it from.

Cosentino is Sportsnets prospect guy, I know it isn't Button but let's not pretend that him claiming Perfetti to the Wings at 4 now seems as forgone a conclusion as Lafreniere going one is nothing. That is a big statement.

I don't think Perfetti has big compete issues at all. I think he needs to keep progressing physically. But I think the floating angle a few people have here is pretty far from what I have heard on him. There is a reason he moved up three slots to five with McKenzie with a ten team sample size. The players being pointed out for that everyone is worried stuff usually drop like a rock in the final polling giving us that indication. Perfetti actually went up and honestly I think that is people getting to see him with Suzuki after the deadline and remembering how he crushed the Hlinka. You put more talent around him and he looks even better.

I listened to 31 Thoughts too. Are you sure he didn't just say that simply because of the Osgood/Devellano connection?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Could be huge for us if euro leagues start up before draft to get more glimpses at some of these players. Guys like Raymond especially.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
First off I'd like to say sorry that you guys fell. The lottery system as it is does not help the worst teams in the NHL, like the Red Wings and Sens but promotes constant mediocrity.

I'm here to ask though if you have a board insider who potentially knows who you guys may take at 4. For months our Intel has suggested that even if we picked at 2 we would take Byfield.

Just curious and thank you! May both our organizations one day reign supreme again!

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
First off I'd like to say sorry that you guys fell. The lottery system as it is does not help the worst teams in the NHL, like the Red Wings and Sens but promotes constant mediocrity.

I'm here to ask though if you have a board insider who potentially knows who you guys may take at 4. For months our Intel has suggested that even if we picked at 2 we would take Byfield.

Just curious and thank you! May both our organizations one day reign supreme again!
A poster that “knows someone” says we’re high on Perfetti Rossi and Sanderson. Seemingly in that order

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Realistically, Lafreniere was the only guy in the draft who was going to make a serious impact instantly.
Guys like Byfield probably needed 2-3-4 years to hit their stride.
Maybe a mature guy like Rossi comes in and goes 15-20-35 as D+1 rookie. But big deal. You can get that from a lot of guys.

Bottom line we're still a long way from becoming a playoff contender (not cup contender, playoff contender). Probably five years minimum.

Age of current Red Wings possible core guys in 2025.
LW - Bertuzzi, 30. Fabbri, 29. Mastrosimone, 24.G Smith 27. Berggren, 25.
C - Larkin, 29. Veleno, 25. Pearson 28. Phillips 24.
RW - Mantha, 31. Zadina, 26. Rasmussen, 26. Svechnikov, 29.
LD - Dekeyser 35. Cholowski 26. McIsaac, 25. Johansson, 24.
RD - Hronek 28. Seider, 24. Lindstrom 26. Tuomisto, 24
G-anybody?

Lots of these guys are gonna get bumped off as they flop or are traded.

I'd love to take care of LD or C.
LW is also a huge need, but wingers are known to be much easier to find.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would be nice to see some videos of Sanderson. I've never seen him play and never seen any data about him.

EDIT:

Got this from Steve Kournianos:

You want information? Here's some:

--He averaged more assists per game than Thomas Chabot did in his draft year and did so playing in a lower-scoring league
--His shooting pct of 10% is pretty much the same as Cam York, K'Andre Miller, Quinn Hughes, and Adam Fox had in their respective draft years.
--He's the only defenseman to lead the U18 February 5 Nations in scoring since I started covering the event in 2016
--He's the first defenseman to win player of the game at the AAPG since 2015
--He spent the entire season as the No. 1 point man on the NTDP power play which operated at over 25% in 8 games against top international U18 teams.
--His 0.86 points-per-game against combined USHL and Intl teams when added to the 16 or 17 games he missed means he finished the season with around 45 points, which would tie with Jack Johnson and Noah Hanifin for 9th in NTDP history.

Last edited:
Reactions: VanillaCoke

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Realistically, Lafreniere was the only guy in the draft who was going to make a serious impact instantly.
Guys like Byfield probably needed 2-3-4 years to hit their stride.
Maybe a mature guy like Rossi comes in and goes 15-20-35 as D+1 rookie. But big deal. You can get that from a lot of guys.

Bottom line we're still a long way from becoming a playoff contender (not cup contender, playoff contender). Probably five years minimum.

Age of current Red Wings possible core guys in 2025.
LW - Bertuzzi, 30. Fabbri, 29. Mastrosimone, 24.G Smith 27. Berggren, 25.
C - Larkin, 29. Veleno, 25. Pearson 28. Phillips 24.
RW - Mantha, 31. Zadina, 26. Rasmussen, 26. Svechnikov, 29.
LD - Dekeyser 35. Cholowski 26. McIsaac, 25. Johansson, 24.
RD - Hronek 28. Seider, 24. Lindstrom 26. Tuomisto, 24
G-anybody?

Lots of these guys are gonna get bumped off as they flop or are traded.

I'd love to take care of LD or C.
LW is also a huge need, but wingers are known to be much easier to find.

that’s actually pretty sad, but you’re right. Basically our current core guys will have no shot at the cup until passed their prime (unless traded).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I listened to 31 Thoughts too. Are you sure he didn't just say that simply because of the Osgood/Devellano connection?

It's good to have that connection. We will know what we would get. Good or bad. If he is the guy with red flags to avoid, we avoid. If he is the steal, we'll take him. I could believe Red Wing organization know best of his liabilities and ability to develop. Others probably will avoid him and he will fall if we don't take him.

Whatever the decision will be with Perfetti, I'm quite sure it's easy for Yzerman to make the right decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad