Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
They aren't going to go on the record for it as an organization before the draft. But I trust the people I have heard it from.

Cosentino is Sportsnets prospect guy, I know it isn't Button but let's not pretend that him claiming Perfetti to the Wings at 4 now seems as forgone a conclusion as Lafreniere going one is nothing. That is a big statement.

I don't think Perfetti has big compete issues at all. I think he needs to keep progressing physically. But I think the floating angle a few people have here is pretty far from what I have heard on him. There is a reason he moved up three slots to five with McKenzie with a ten team sample size. The players being pointed out for that everyone is worried stuff usually drop like a rock in the final polling giving us that indication. Perfetti actually went up and honestly I think that is people getting to see him with Suzuki after the deadline and remembering how he crushed the Hlinka. You put more talent around him and he looks even better.

I think it was Mark Edwards on here said Yzerman and crew is one of the tightest lip franchises in the NHL. They reveal nothing. FWIW

Even looking back when he drafted Seider everyone's jaw dropped to the floor and nobody expected it in a million years.

I will say (from my speculation) Yzerman isn't going to draft the player he thinks will be NHL ready the soonest. He'll likely draft someone 2 or 3 years out with impeccable upside. My guess

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I’m all aboard the Perfetti train. He has superstar offensive potential. Will be really disappointed if we don’t take him

He's enticing as hell. He's certainly surged in my "I could live with that" pick status. More so than the defenders at this point, who keep projecting to me as good, not great. That's hard, though, defenders rarely shine as bright at that age.

But I'm still sticking with Raymond as my skater. It's hard with lack of good tape, but there's so many things to like in the limited viewings you do get. It's hard for me to dislike anything about Raymond, honestly. So he remains top choice there.

Reactions: Christien

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He's enticing as hell. He's certainly surged in my "I could live with that" pick status. More so than the defenders at this point, who keep projecting to me as good, not great. That's hard, though, defenders rarely shine as bright at that age.

But I'm still sticking with Raymond as my skater. It's hard with lack of good tape, but there's so many things to like in the limited viewings you do get. It's hard for me to dislike anything about Raymond, honestly. So he remains top choice there.

everybody_loves_raymond_complete_series_key_art.jpg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I think Drysdale is better than Byram was and some people were okay with him last year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think Drysdale is better than Byram was and some people were okay with him last year.

That seems to be the case when you're the consensus top available defender. Like I alluded to, projecting defenders might be the hardest thing to do unless they flash that superstar skill. I honestly think it can be harder to hit on than goalies at times.

I'd hate to end up with a Haydn Fleury or Honka at this pick, ya know? I feel like defenders are landmines sometimes.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
that’s actually pretty sad, but you’re right. Basically our current core guys will have no shot at the cup until passed their prime (unless traded).

That's the right age for your defense.
I think it could provide a nice mix of age for your forwards.
I can see keeping Larkin and Bertuzzi. But I can't see keeping, Larkin, Bert and Mantha for 5-7 years.

lightthelamp13

Apr 15, 2009
Whenever I compare Drysdale to Sanderson I find myself always looking at Hanifin vs Werenski. Just in terms of....I would always take the difference in skill on the offensive side of the puck. Defence can be taught (and Drysdale isn't even a poor defender). What Drysdale brings on the offensive side of the puck cannot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That seems to be the case when you're the consensus top available defender. Like I alluded to, projecting defenders might be the hardest thing to do unless they flash that superstar skill. I honestly think it can be harder to hit on than goalies at times.

I'd hate to end up with a Haydn Fleury or Honka at this pick, ya know? I feel like defenders are landmines sometimes.

What is interesting to me is for as down as everyone is in this defense class, the top 3 guys defensively in most rankings sure are good at actually playing defense for once. Drysdale, Sanderson and Guhle are all actually really good in their own end. The later two have some question on puck skills, and maybe it just is this year or maybe the league is starting to pivot that way in evaluations a little more.

I mean Poirier is your fourth forward gambling guy and he has backed up consistently throughout the year. While projecting defenders is hard and some people like Iyer like to do so based on points in the -1 and draft year and there is some merit. The defender reaches that bother me are generally the but can the guy play defense guys. Now certainly on a guy like Merkeley I found his offensive game just so intriguing and even on Poirier I have him higher if you think you can iron that out in his game I think you take a chance. But I am curious if this is a blip or something more of an industry change. Because I will be honest that drove me nuts about Bouchard when he was a target and I started watching more and more tape. I got really worried if he actually knew how to play defense at times.

So in that sense I do like some of these guys, it is if there is enough upside. I don't think Fleury has been put in a lot of situations to be an offensive guy, he has been on teams with defined pecking orders his whole career. I am not sure he has a ton of it but being in Carolina and Calgary really hasn't given him a whole lot of run time to show off his offensive game either, just my opinion. Close with Larks, maybe we can get him for cheap at some point.

EDIT: sorry combining him and Noah Hanifin in my mind, point actually still applies to both guys. But Hanifin is the guy that is close to Larkin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
EDIT: sorry combining him and Noah Hanifin in my mind, point actually still applies to both guys. But Hanifin is the guy that is close to Larkin.

Yeah, I got what you were saying.

Hanifin is an interesting case. I do think he's a solid player and has a place in a competitive top 4. He's still young enough that I could see him making another step to his game and everyone wondering, "Geez, why were we sleeping on this guy?"

That said, I think we'd all hope for more from our #4 overall pick than Noah Hanifin. But I think that's the most realistic expectation for a guy like Drysdale? I don't know, I guess I'm not in love with him. I do wonder if Drysdale is the guy I'm sleeping on the most, because in many ways, he does look better than Byram and about on par with Miro Heiskanen.

The allure of adding a Heiskanen is very, very strong.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I'm down with Raymond because he exudes Datsyukian qualities to me. I think he fills a need as a cerebral guy who sees the play 2 steps ahead of everyone; there really isn't anyone in the system with that kind of toolbox.

This is a tough spot to pick from. You could augment the D, add a nice offensive weapon, or go with a likely sure thing in net. I'm actually doing a 180 on Askarov. I won't kvetch if he's the choice.

Reactions: Bench

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Yeah Raymond or Perfetti for me. Was set on Raymond at 4 all year because of the home run potential. However, I like that Perfetti at least has a chance to pan out as a top line center, albeit a lower chance than he has at becoming a top line winger. I don't think playing Perfetti at center another year will affect his development like it would trying to turn a true winger into a center. Both of them can run a PP1 from the half wall, have a good enough shot to keep goalies from cheating, and backcheck pretty well. I like Raymond's right hand shot, but Perfetti's chance to play center I think puts him on par with Raymond.

I'm not sold at either D at 4, and I have a hard time seeing Rossi or Lundell becoming first line caliber centers. Holtz has the skill to be worth picking 4th, but we really need a high-end distributor for the top 6, so I'll pass on him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
They aren't going to go on the record for it as an organization before the draft. But I trust the people I have heard it from.

Cosentino is Sportsnets prospect guy, I know it isn't Button but let's not pretend that him claiming Perfetti to the Wings at 4 now seems as forgone a conclusion as Lafreniere going one is nothing. That is a big statement.

I don't think Perfetti has big compete issues at all. I think he needs to keep progressing physically. But I think the floating angle a few people have here is pretty far from what I have heard on him. There is a reason he moved up three slots to five with McKenzie with a ten team sample size. The players being pointed out for that everyone is worried stuff usually drop like a rock in the final polling giving us that indication. Perfetti actually went up and honestly I think that is people getting to see him with Suzuki after the deadline and remembering how he crushed the Hlinka. You put more talent around him and he looks even better.

You generally have good sources i believe you (feel free to PM me about it though lol)... but talking about compete and effort, go watch a shift by shift videoof Perfetti, he kills penalties and has plenty of Datsyuk like takeways. He is disgusting in junior hockey and those shift by shift videos are hard to watch and not hope the wings take him. Hes risky but hes the home run swing, he might be a bust but hes got the upside as high as anyone in this draft. Hes a Kucherov, Marner, Kane Giroux type prospect and plays big when the game sget bigger

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
This is honestly why I think if you can deal the 4th for a player like Sergachev then you do it. Most of the guys available at 4 look to be guys that are years from hitting the NHL (and if its a dman you are probably looking at another 2 before they are super helpful). Plus as history has taught us, if we tank again next year there is a good chance we still don't get elite talent.

GO Big Plan (Ufa/trade approach)

Mantha-Larkin-Bert
Hall-Ras-Zadina
Fabbri-Flip-Svech
Helm-Glenny- Smith

Dump Nielson and Abby in the minors.

DDK-Hronek
Sergachev-Seider
Nemeth- whomever (Cholo, Lindstrom, UFA)

Bernier
UFA

That is a pretty good team as early as next year. If you aren't getting elite talent in the draft that is max 2 years away from contributing at this point then its either time to move the timeline up or you start dealing guys like Mantha, Bert, DDk, Fabri, and maybe even Larkin.

Unless one of Stuzzle or Byfield drop, I'm probably trying to trade back at least and grab Askarov or one of the forwards. I don't see a ton of seperation 4-7or8 and I'd try to capitalize on someone wanting a Dman. So basically I'm saying, I don't pick 4th unless someone drops.

That's the right age for your defense.
I think it could provide a nice mix of age for your forwards.
I can see keeping Larkin and Bertuzzi. But I can't see keeping, Larkin, Bert and Mantha for 5-7 years.

Reactions: MBH

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Is it me or did Perfetti get a lot more votes ever since the lottery ended?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think this is what tanking looks like. You can't count on more than picking in the 3-6 range. Without luck, you're tanking for at least 5 years.
The new tanking rules to f*** over bad teams coincided with the Wings' fall from grace.

So you need luck with the ping pong balls, or luck that somehow the best player in the draft isn't the guy everyone thought the best player was.

Reactions: Winger98

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Perfetti is the guy with moves like Datsyuk or Kane.
People are starting to look at him harder now, I think.
I agree. Perfetti is the most cerebral player in this draft. Perhaps the most dynamic offensive threat in this draft, including Laf. He is also the most likely to bust, given that physically he is far behind the pack. I've come around a lot on Perfetti recently. I think the Wings should keep 4th and draft one of Raymond, Perfetti or Sanderson.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Is it me or did Perfetti get a lot more votes ever since the lottery ended?

I think there is going to be a progression towards homerun picks. I mean we knew the numbers, but the reality is we can be the worst team in the league for the next three years and every year if they don't change this ******* system our most likely drafting slot is 4th. You would hope it would actually smile on us at some point but it isn't actually designed to do it. So you take a long-range homerun type and hope it smiles on you. Raymond and Perfetti don't play here next year they also don't even likely impact us in a big way for the Wright draft. It keeps our rebuild in the right area in my opinion.

This is going to be tough, but missing that top 3 was a big setback, it makes the reality of how bad we are going to be a lot worse in the short term.

Reactions: Winger98 and Tetsuo

hanshin44

Mar 17, 2017
I really don't get why Rossi is being overlooked imo.
Rossi has an insane work-ethic, always looking to improve himself and driven, he's got that competitive edge to him that really the team needs more-so then ever. The size issues with Rossi that a lot of people are talking about aren't really as large of a factor that would work against him. Marchand has the same height and a similar skill-set. Bahl (A 6'7 defender on the 67s) was saying earlier this year that he couldn't knock Rossi off the puck in practice.
Drysdale is the best defensive prospect, sure, but overall I'd rank him as a lower tier prospect. There will be better prospects down the line, and frankly, the Red Wings should work with the prospects they have right now and get the most out of what they have.
Rossi as well was ranked highly by coaches in the OHL as not only one of the best OHL offensive forwards, but also as one of the best defensive forwards, that seems to really be overlooked. If we're doing comparisons to Datsyuk, Rossi is far more close to him then Perfetti. The way he dangles in and out of tough situations, doesn't let himself get pushed around, skates at a normal pace but finds bursts of speeds when he needs to, fights to keep the puck, are all "Datsyukian" qualities. Marchand is a better comparison overall I would say, but regardless, I would take Rossi easily above Perfetti and Drysdale. He has room to grow for sure, but he's got an insane skill-set.
I feel like half the people talking about hockey IQ in this thread aren't really even sure what that is. Perfetti is good, but he's not as gifted defensively as Rossi and doesn't have the "Hockey IQ" people claim he does. He for sure doesn't have Rossi's drive, or defensive ability.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

I really liked the Scouching take on Perfetti's motor/skating/effort level. He essentially says that he thinks Perfetti knows how he skates, and in order to be sure he's in the spot he needs to be in, there are plays that he doesn't join, or areas of the ice that he won't skate to if he doesn't have to. And sometimes that means not getting too close to a guy if he doesn't think he can pull away if he gets the puck. In a way, he's a forward who focuses on gap control. From the outside it looks like low effort play, but to Scouching it's actually very cerebral. Which is also why he thinks that with more strength, mass, and straight line speed (and a little work on technique...), Perfetti will correct a lot of his weaknesses.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad