Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Perfetti. He's the real deal, folks.

Oh, he can play CENTER. I don't know what his career faceoff % is, but in his thread on the prospect forums I sometimes see people posting he was 60% on draws on any given night.

He was 51,2% at last season, and had 6th most faceoffs at Saginaw. Doesn't seem like a regular center.

Saginaw Centers
Ryan Suzuki, 55.2% - 14.7 Faceoffs per game
Damien Giroux, 50.8% - 12.0 per game
Blade Jenkins, 55.3% - 10.1 per game
Camaryn Baber, 50.9% - 8.5 per game
Dalton Duhart, 56.5% - 5.7 per game
Cole Perfetti 51.2% - 5.3 per game

Rossi had 1175 faceoffs, 20.9 per game (Top5 in OHL) and was 58.5% in them. He seems to be great faceoff guy. Perfetti still a Center/winger.

Reactions: Dotter

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think my rankings at 4 are:

Perfetti
Drysdale
Raymond
Rossi

I think Drysdale could definitely be the best of that bunch and wouldnt care if he was 4 but the possibility of perfettis offense and playing center puts him in the top spot just barely. I think Raymond is right there too and wouldnt be upset with that pick, I dont really like Rossi nearly as much as the others though.

I was another who was reading some buzz about LA liking Drysdale. I think Detroit is actually a team with the picks to jump 2 spots and get a center they want. I doubt LA would straight up draft Drysdale at 2 but like 7 of theit top 10 prospects are centers and what I would consider their top 3 are centers. I wouldnt be surprised if Detroit tried moving up. Bjornfot is an OK d prospect but not a high end guy at all and thats really all they have on defense

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The only advantage that Lundell has is that he has prototypical size and plays center.

He’s not a smarter hockey player than Lucas Raymond, and his shot does not come close to Alexander Holtz. He is a significantly less dangerous hockey player than either.

Safely NHL protectable? Sure, but definitely lacks the pure upside of either of the top Swedes.

I disagree. None of these guys have star potential but Lundell is a pretty safe bet to be a good two way middle six Centerman at least. Holtz is worse at just about every level and the other top scandinavians are undersized one way players without elite talent. Best you can hope for there is another Nyquist. No thanks, at least not in the first round.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
LA wants a fast center, why would they trade down. I guess they could take Drysdale, but I doubt they pass on a chance for Byfield or Stutzle. They will complete their young building blocks down the middle with one of them Kupari and Turcotte. It allows them to move Vilardi back out to wing too since he doesn't skate well enough to be anything else.

Again, I'd be shocked if the Kings don't draft Byfield. Prototype of a Kings prospect.

Reactions: B33K33PING

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Again, I'd be shocked if the Kings don't draft Byfield. Prototype of a Kings prospect.

What does this even mean? I'd be shocked too, but only because he is pretty obviously the 2nd best player available to be drafted. What about him is prototypical of an LA Kings pick?

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
We used our top 2 picks last year on RHD. We now have Hronek, Seider, Lindstrom, Tuomisto from the past four drafts in the top 2 rounds. Need to start spending our top draft capital on areas of need. I wouldn't hate picking Drysdale but I'm pretty sick of picking RD at the top of every draft.

Again, build a surplus of something that's ridiculously hard to find and then you can make trades from that surplus to fill other positions.

No doubt the Wings have drafted multiple quality Right Handed Shot Dmen thew last few drafts, but what's one more (one that is especially elite at his position) added to the pile?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I disagree. None of these guys have star potential but Lundell is a pretty safe bet to be a good two way middle six Centerman at least. Holtz is worse at just about every level and the other top scandinavians are undersized one way players without elite talent. Best you can hope for there is another Nyquist. No thanks, at least not in the first round.

Raymond absolutely has star potential, and plays a pretty decent probing defensive game from the wing. Both he and Holtz are significantly better offensive players, and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY.

At this stage I’m wondering if you hail from Finland and whether your opinion on Finnish prospects should be seen as honest or homerish.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Some primary points values per Ice-Time:

SEL
Alexander Holtz, 1.7298
Lucas Raymond, 1.4842
Noel Gunler, 1.2224

FEL
Anton Lundell, 1.7241
Roni Hirvonen, 0.9449

Finnish League is a bit more easier than SEL, but still those Lundell's numbers match very well with those high-ranked Swedish wingers. If you get defensive center at same package, why not?

Where does the data come from?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Raymond absolutely has star potential, and plays a pretty decent probing defensive game from the wing. Both he and Holtz are significantly better offensive players, and I mean SIGNIFICANTLY.

At this stage I’m wondering if you hail from Finland and whether your opinion on Finnish prospects should be seen as honest or homerish.

I'm European and I know more about European hockey than most users here on hfboards but I have to disappoint you. I'm not Finnish. Deeply sorry for you. But it can't always be this easy...not everybody that has another, maybe more correct opinion is necessarily biased:laugh:

I will admit that I dislike small players though. Most of them are using their lack of size as an excuse not to play defense or not to compete physically. A player like Gaudreau who needs a babysitter and tons of offensive zone starts against bottom six competition isn't effective.

There are exceptions such as Brayden Point but there are few of them.

Not interested in Raymond as a 1st round pick, let alone at 4th overall. Let somebody else swallow that bitter pill. Was very very underwhelming with a very strong team. No great upside. Not likely to bust completely...but again...a small one way middle six winger is not what you wanna take with a 4th overall pick. He's also gonna need a lot of time. Body is far from NHL ready and even in Sweden he's struggling to find open ice...which he needs to create something.

Last edited:

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
Sorry of this already got brought up but why not trade down? Would you be upset if Detroit took say Askarov if they got another asset to go with him? Do teams even trade down in the NHL? Anyone know the history?

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Sorry of this already got brought up but why not trade down? Would you be upset if Detroit took say Askarov if they got another asset to go with him? Do teams even trade down in the NHL? Anyone know the history?
I'm in the trading down boat, but what was discussed was 1. You need someone interested in your pick and 2. you need someone willing to pay for that pick.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl

I would be fine with trading down if it landed us another first. I know they tried to trade down last draft but there were just no deals to make.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

There are teams like Toronto that always want to trade down almost no matter what just to get additional picks...especially since that babyface took over.

Not always the case but here it sure would make sense to trade down. Great gap in quality between 3 and 4 with almost all other 7 estimated top10 picks being pretty underwhelming. I think you'll see many teams go off the charts trying to find a gem but this also means that it could be tough to trade down. Most teams will think that they can get their guy with their pick or they'll want to move down, too.

As mentioned before, I'm primarily interested in Lundell, Amirov, Foerster, Mercer, Guhle, Schneider or Barron. Those guys aren't necessarily top10 picks...at least not all of them. Many teams will have similar draft lists that are very different from the mock draft lists out there right now.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
We badly needed a franchise star. None of these guys come close.

Amirov does have star potential. Best passer in the draft and one of the best skaters and two way forwards as well. Known for great breakouts and zone entries and hardly making any mistakes even at KHL level. Would be quite the punt to take at 4 though because he's one of the potential busts. Has found it hard to create offense at higher level and also needs to get a lot stronger.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'm by no means a draft expert but at a glance there's no franchise star level player looking a year out compared to this year. That could change but so far it's looking like a down year.
Theres some potential top pairing D's so that's the next best thing. If the lottery doesn't seem so monumental it might be a nice break from heartbreak. I don't know who is favorite for #1 at this point but I think Raty(C) and Clarke (RHD) are in the lottery mix. I'd be happy with Power, Hughes, or Lambos as LHD prospects. C's Kent Johnson and Chaz Lucius are interesting though I don't know a lot about them at this point. Super early but this time last year the names were like Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti...

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Theres some potential top pairing D's so that's the next best thing. If the lottery doesn't seem so monumental it might be a nice break from heartbreak. I don't know who is favorite for #1 at this point but I think Raty(C) and Clarke (RHD) are in the lottery mix. I'd be happy with Power, Hughes, or Lambos as LHD prospects. C's Kent Johnson and Chaz Lucius are interesting though I don't know a lot about them at this point. Super early but this time last year the names were like Raymond, Rossi, Perfetti...

Yeah, there are some nice defensemen available next year. We will surely be picking in the top 5 or 6 next year as well, so in my mind we need to take a forward this year, and then grab one of your aforementioned defencemen next year.

Drysdale does not cut it for me. I honestly don't understand how people are even considering him at 4. I guess it's because he's the best D available, but nothing about Drysdale screams NHL star to me. Drysdale is a 2nd pair guy at the NHL level. I get sick to my stomach every time I read someone saying "Drysdale will be our Makar!" No, no he won't. Drysdale is overrated. I honestly think he's going to slip in the draft due to the high end forwards available. It's funny how the 1 team that I thought would take him is L.A, but now with their lottery luck, they won't be taking him.

We should take Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti this year, and then hope we can get Clarke or Power next year. Drafting Drysdale this year would be a massive mistake.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Drysdale is my first choice. Rossi is my second choice. There are no other options if you plan to keep the #4 pick. Drafting a winger is no bueno.

I am not thrilled either either of those choices. They don't address the Wings lack of elite talent.

Hopefully the Wings luck changes for the 2021 NHL draft. Nothing else you can really do.

Reactions: invsb321

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah, there are some nice defensemen available next year. We will surely be picking in the top 5 or 6 next year as well, so in my mind we need to take a forward this year, and then grab one of your aforementioned defencemen next year.

Drysdale does not cut it for me. I honestly don't understand how people are even considering him at 4. I guess it's because he's the best D available, but nothing about Drysdale screams NHL star to me. Drysdale is a 2nd pair guy at the NHL level. I get sick to my stomach every time I read someone saying "Drysdale will be our Makar!" No, no he won't. Drysdale is overrated. I honestly think he's going to slip in the draft due to the high end forwards available. It's funny how the 1 team that I thought would take him is L.A, but now with their lottery luck, they won't be taking him.

We should take Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti this year, and then hope we can get Clarke or Power next year. Drafting Drysdale this year would be a massive mistake.
I wouldn't go that far. Drysdale is a fantastic skater and very intelligent. There's some bust potential with ALL the forwards so while I agree with that strategy mostly, I'm not THAT firm on it.

Respect the opinion though, I'm more than fine with it if that's the direction we take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad