Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Heres my rossi vs. raymond breakdown (largely influenced by scouching)

Both think the game well. Rossi has edge in creativity while Raymond has edge in making smart simple play. a wash.

skating: both good skaters. rossi could use better acceleration with raymond could use improvement in speed.

both are great at zone enties. Raymond more of a Z-berg/nylander puck control style while Rossi has a more by any means neccessary style.

both good defensivily. Both good positionally on D but Raymond seems to do it with more intensity and against men. rossi logs a lot more minutes, plays the more challenging position so i think his short coming here can be forgiven.

offensively I think rossi may have an edge. rossi makes simple plays and has a nose for the net. Raymond has a bit of that Z-berg puck control along the boards and he also makes the smart play consisently. i think there may be an element in Rossis game to make goals happen that raymond lacks, Mitch marner make things happen aspect of his game.

Raymond prolly more pro ready having played against men and plays wing but i think Rossi maybe he NHL ready too as a 3c or winger.

prefer rossi slightly but would get behind a raymond pick too.

Reactions: lilidk

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Surprised I'm the only one voting for Lundell. All others on that list aren't elite talents and are undersized on top of it. I'd rather go with a wild card than to draft an undersized middle six forward or a smallish and soft 3rd pairing one way defenseman early in the first round. Nice players maybe but not the ones who are gonna put a rebuilding team over the top.

Lundell would be an option. Also liking Amirov, Foerster, Mercer, Guhle, Schneider or Barron.
Low ceiling and high floor, he should be drafted in late 1st round.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Scenarios.

1. LA needs defense. They are at a point in their prospect pool where they may decide they need to consider need. There are head scratchers in every draft. 2 out of 10 scouts had byfield at 6. It is not out of the realm of possibility they want that blue chip D prospect to help round out their future. They could go with the dynamic skating, point producing, defensively responsible Drysdale.

2. Ottawa has a very balanced prospect pool. It’s entirely possible they prefer a combination of Forward/D rather than F/F. Maybe they take the D first in fear that the wings will take the guy they want. The forwards in this draft are a lot closer to one another than the D are. Imo

3. LA trades down to 4 because they want D and don’t want to be chastised for choosing one over stutzle/byfield and grab some assets in the process.

4. someone’s hot for Drysdale and wants to nab him before the second Ottawa pick. We take the opertunity to trade down and take Askorov.

I still think byfield is a chance. I think stutzle is gone.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Drysdale.

We all know that Right Handed Shot Dmen are ridiculously hard to find.

Add him to the pipeline and keep stocking the future D core.

Forwards are a dime a dozen and the team will continually be picking in the top 5 for the next few years, so it's worth the pick.

Other than that, trust Stevie Y no matter what the pick is.
We've got Hronek and Seider as RHD, so no glaring need there. I'm fine with whatever Yzerman and co decide but we do have two very good young prospects who will likely hold down both top 4 spots for the foreseeable future.

lightthelamp13

Apr 15, 2009
I hope the pick is Lucas Raymond.

That guy has dominated his peers at every level he has played, especially internationally. I thought he was awesome at the World Junior's this season, even if Sweden played in a weaker group.

I wish there was an alternate universe where we could put Stutzle in Raymond's shoes in Frolunda and vice versa. Sometimes opportunity is everything for these younger players and Raymond did not get that this year. It would be a mistake for a team to pass over him because he "didn't have a good year". When you go back and watch Hlinka's and U18's, Raymond is absolute magic. His patience with the puck and ability to move laterally to open up passing lanes is a skill set that this team badly needs. Everybody compares him stylistically to Mitch Marner and it's bang on. Pick him and hope he gets pretty close to that level.

I think Raymond is the perfect player to maximize Filip Zadina's skill set too. I am all about him at pick 4.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Give me Raymond and his right handed shot. And the unknown of playing 6 min in the shl. I think that’s the best option now. His lack of playing time leaves the chance that he has the highest skill in the entire draft and just never got a chance to show it. I think he’s the best chance for a game breaker left on the board. And the right handed shot is a big differentiating factor at this point with the forwards that are left.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sad truth is that Holtz outproduced Raymond per ice-time at every level. Raymond also was sick, and I don't know how much that affected for his season. He was ranked 2nd overall year ago.

But still, thanks to this poor season, I'm not so high on Raymond what comes to these wingers. I see us picking a guy with center potential.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
With what will be available on the board, I'd see if NJ is interested in moving up in the draft. If we can move back to 6 there's still a good chance we get one of the players mentioned in this thread like Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Askarov, or Lundell.

Reactions: lilidk

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Interesting to see Rossi at Europe before the draft happens (in October) ?

If he has success against men in the Swiss League, that could raise his stock drastically.

Now, with 4th overall, later the the draft is will benefit our decision.

I am curious about this decision, because I think he is just as likely to hurt his draft stock.

Raymond is the interesting one for me. If he dominates out of the gate this year, does he reclaim his top 3 status that he entered the year with?

Lundell also getting to start healthy could seriously enter the picture with his play in Europe. Yzerman admitted what prospects do in Europe at the start of this season will play a big part in their decision making process.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some primary points values per Ice-Time:

SEL
Alexander Holtz, 1.7298
Lucas Raymond, 1.4842
Noel Gunler, 1.2224

FEL
Anton Lundell, 1.7241
Roni Hirvonen, 0.9449

Finnish League is a bit more easier than SEL, but still those Lundell's numbers match very well with those high-ranked Swedish wingers. If you get defensive center at same package, why not?

Reactions: ZadinaNotBustina

archimet

Aug 17, 2008
Who do I personally believe to be the best pick available though? Drysdale. Only problem is Drysdale will absolutely, without any excuse become the calibre of Dahlin/Heiskanen/Hughes/Makar /

Drysdale has nowhere near the upside of Dahlin, Heiskanen, Hughes, or Makar... He'd be a solid addition, but RD is the one area we have pretty solid prospects: Hronek, Sieder, Tuomisto, even Lindstrom. Next year will give us a better shot at an elite D. There will probably be multiple great options in the top-10. I'd stick with a forward at #4.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This is a list of all the 4th overall picks since the last red wings cup. Pretty good odds at a great player but pretty low odds on a night in night out game breaker.

Bowen Byram
Brady Tkachuk
Cale Makar
Jesse Puljujarvi
Mitch Marner
Sam Bennett
Seth Jones
Griffin Reinhart
Adam Larsson
Ryan Johansen
Evander Kane
Alex Pietrangelo

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Some primary points values per Ice-Time:

SEL
Alexander Holtz, 1.7298
Lucas Raymond, 1.4842
Noel Gunler, 1.2224

FEL
Anton Lundell, 1.7241
Roni Hirvonen, 0.9449

Finnish League is a bit more easier than SEL, but still those Lundell's numbers match very well with those high-ranked Swedish wingers. If you get defensive center at same package, why not?

Lundell has a higher ceiling than the other guys though because his game is much better suited for North America. He's also smarter, has a better technique especially when it comes to shooting, is much more responsible defensively and has a size advantage over most of them. Lundell is the only one of those I could see having an impact in the NHL anytime soon because he has to the body to do it and doesn't depend on the additional size of the European ice to do his thing.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Scenarios.

1. LA needs defense. They are at a point in their prospect pool where they may decide they need to consider need. There are head scratchers in every draft. 2 out of 10 scouts had byfield at 6. It is not out of the realm of possibility they want that blue chip D prospect to help round out their future. They could go with the dynamic skating, point producing, defensively responsible Drysdale.

2. Ottawa has a very balanced prospect pool. It’s entirely possible they prefer a combination of Forward/D rather than F/F. Maybe they take the D first in fear that the wings will take the guy they want. The forwards in this draft are a lot closer to one another than the D are. Imo

3. LA trades down to 4 because they want D and don’t want to be chastised for choosing one over stutzle/byfield and grab some assets in the process.

4. someone’s hot for Drysdale and wants to nab him before the second Ottawa pick. We take the opertunity to trade down and take Askorov.

I still think byfield is a chance. I think stutzle is gone.

Drysdale isn't defensively responsible and I don't know when LA last drafted a smallish one way defender early in a draft. Blake is relatively new so he might surprise people but it's the Kings you're talking about. They're gonna take Byfield all day long...as they should. Their minds are already made up. He's the classical LA Kings pick.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Drysdale.

We all know that Right Handed Shot Dmen are ridiculously hard to find.

Add him to the pipeline and keep stocking the future D core.

Forwards are a dime a dozen and the team will continually be picking in the top 5 for the next few years, so it's worth the pick.

Other than that, trust Stevie Y no matter what the pick is.
We used our top 2 picks last year on RHD. We now have Hronek, Seider, Lindstrom, Tuomisto from the past four drafts in the top 2 rounds. Need to start spending our top draft capital on areas of need. I wouldn't hate picking Drysdale but I'm pretty sick of picking RD at the top of every draft.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Surprised I'm the only one voting for Lundell. All others on that list aren't elite talents and are undersized on top of it. I'd rather go with a wild card than to draft an undersized middle six forward or a smallish and soft 3rd pairing one way defenseman early in the first round. Nice players maybe but not the ones who are gonna put a rebuilding team over the top.

Lundell would be an option. Also liking Amirov, Foerster, Mercer, Guhle, Schneider or Barron.
We're picking #4 not 24.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
We're picking #4 not 24.

That is a really low ranking on Lundell. Even as much as I dislike Rossi, I cannot just point out the one ranking we have where he is #18.

I think Lundell has a big chance to sky-rocket because he will be playing before the draft. He is the most sure bet to actually be a top 6 center behind Byfield in the draft in my opinion. Those guys tend to go before you think they will. Now Yzerman said he doesn't care about position yet so that might not mean much to us specifically. But I would be kind of shocked if Lundell and Sanderson both don't go top 10 in this draft despite internet boards not liking either player a bunch. They are the kind of players scouts and in particular higher up hockey executives usually like a great deal.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Lundell has a higher ceiling than the other guys though because his game is much better suited for North America. He's also smarter, has a better technique especially when it comes to shooting, is much more responsible defensively and has a size advantage over most of them. Lundell is the only one of those I could see having an impact in the NHL anytime soon because he has to the body to do it and doesn't depend on the additional size of the European ice to do his thing.

The only advantage that Lundell has is that he has prototypical size and plays center.

He’s not a smarter hockey player than Lucas Raymond, and his shot does not come close to Alexander Holtz. He is a significantly less dangerous hockey player than either.

Safely NHL protectable? Sure, but definitely lacks the pure upside of either of the top Swedes.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Changed my vote to Perfetti. The more I'm digging into this kid, the more I like him. His Hockey Prospect Black Book profile helps too....here's some choice words.

"Although his hockey-sense separates him, his skill is also right up there with the best in this class as well. He’s a true duelthreat, meaning he’s a primary shooter as well as a primary playmaker and most importantly, he knows when he has a high-danger chance that he shouldn’t pass up"
"Perfetti is arguably the smartest hockey player available in this year’s draft and it allowed him to dominate at the OHL despite having some average physical tools. "
"He was two-steps ahead on that play and was consistent at remaining two steps ahead throughout his season."
“His hockey sense is top of the league and he plays with some players who really lack hockey sense. It’s amazing what he did last year given what’s around him.”
“The smart players like him are always the players that bad scouting teams pass on and then they watch them outplay their pick for a decade.”
“I won’t be surprised if he sticks this year, especially if next season starts late and he has a good summer in the gym.”
“If you care about hockey sense you draft this kid very high.”

Sounds good to me. I seem to remember another average size, physically under developed highly skilled played from the OHL that the Wings drafted at 4th overall.

Reactions: wingerdinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad