Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I am curious about this decision, because I think he is just as likely to hurt his draft stock.

Raymond is the interesting one for me. If he dominates out of the gate this year, does he reclaim his top 3 status that he entered the year with?

Lundell also getting to start healthy could seriously enter the picture with his play in Europe. Yzerman admitted what prospects do in Europe at the start of this season will play a big part in their decision making process.
Still a lot of time till October, will be a lot different situation when draft happened

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Well I've slept on it. Trade up to #2 is the only thing I want to do. If you have to give them all of our 2nd rounders with our 1st then I'd do it. Make a splash, because this team needs one of the top 3 players to kickstart fixing this trainwreck.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Changed my vote to Perfetti. The more I'm digging into this kid, the more I like him. His Hockey Prospect Black Book profile helps too....here's some choice words.

"Although his hockey-sense separates him, his skill is also right up there with the best in this class as well. He’s a true duelthreat, meaning he’s a primary shooter as well as a primary playmaker and most importantly, he knows when he has a high-danger chance that he shouldn’t pass up"
"Perfetti is arguably the smartest hockey player available in this year’s draft and it allowed him to dominate at the OHL despite having some average physical tools. "
"He was two-steps ahead on that play and was consistent at remaining two steps ahead throughout his season."
“His hockey sense is top of the league and he plays with some players who really lack hockey sense. It’s amazing what he did last year given what’s around him.”
“The smart players like him are always the players that bad scouting teams pass on and then they watch them outplay their pick for a decade.”
“I won’t be surprised if he sticks this year, especially if next season starts late and he has a good summer in the gym.”
“If you care about hockey sense you draft this kid very high.”

Sounds good to me. I seem to remember another average size, physically under developed highly skilled played from the OHL that the Wings drafted at 4th overall.

Yzerman was an elite skater...

Perfetti reads a lot like Zadina at times when a scout really likes him.

If we do draft him, it must be because we think we can pull more out of him as an athlete. That can be dangerous but it also has huge potential if you think you can get another gear in his skating and things like that. That makes these decisions really big and hard, but that would be my opinion. If you draft Perfetti you really believe in your ability to develop and round him out. Because if you put a little more athletic ability on him he is a really scary player but some guys don't really have much room for improvement there so you need to do your homework. If Ouellet could skate better he would be a top 4 d-man, problem was he couldn't...

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yzerman was an elite skater...

Perfetti reads a lot like Zadina at times when a scout really likes him.

If we do draft him, it is must be because we think we can pull more out of him as an athlete. That can be dangerous but it also has huge potential if you think you can get another gear in his skating and things like that. That makes these decisions really big and hard, but that would be my opinion. If you draft Perfetti you really believe in your ability to develop and round him out. Because if you put a little more athletic ability on him he is a really scary player but some guys don't really have much room for improvement there so you need to do your homework. If Ouellet could skate better he would be a top 4 d-man, problem was he couldn't...

Pretty sure I’ve read comments from Perfetti’s coach who openly stated that he’s behind the curve in athletic development. That it’s something that he’s keenly aware of.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This is a list of all the 4th overall picks since the last red wings cup. Pretty good odds at a great player but pretty low odds on a night in night out game breaker.

Bowen Byram
Brady Tkachuk
Cale Makar
Jesse Puljujarvi
Mitch Marner
Sam Bennett
Seth Jones
Griffin Reinhart
Adam Larsson
Ryan Johansen
Evander Kane
Alex Pietrangelo
Seth Jones supposed to be #1, but AVS desire different, then other two already had plans for different players. That's why he was #4

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Well I've slept on it. Trade up to #2 is the only thing I want to do. If you have to give them all of our 2nd rounders with our 1st then I'd do it. Make a splash, because this team needs one of the top 3 players to kickstart fixing this trainwreck.

To L.A: #4, #32, Cholowski and Svechnikov
To Det: #2

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
bad decision SY like to get more picks , not less, especially second round, where there are still high end potential picks

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Changed my vote to Perfetti. The more I'm digging into this kid, the more I like him. His Hockey Prospect Black Book profile helps too....here's some choice words.

"Although his hockey-sense separates him, his skill is also right up there with the best in this class as well. He’s a true duelthreat, meaning he’s a primary shooter as well as a primary playmaker and most importantly, he knows when he has a high-danger chance that he shouldn’t pass up"
"Perfetti is arguably the smartest hockey player available in this year’s draft and it allowed him to dominate at the OHL despite having some average physical tools. "
"He was two-steps ahead on that play and was consistent at remaining two steps ahead throughout his season."
“His hockey sense is top of the league and he plays with some players who really lack hockey sense. It’s amazing what he did last year given what’s around him.”
“The smart players like him are always the players that bad scouting teams pass on and then they watch them outplay their pick for a decade.”
“I won’t be surprised if he sticks this year, especially if next season starts late and he has a good summer in the gym.”
“If you care about hockey sense you draft this kid very high.”

Sounds good to me. I seem to remember another average size, physically under developed highly skilled played from the OHL that the Wings drafted at 4th overall.
Rossi is almost identical to Yzerman as a prospect except that he is stronger than Stevie was.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pretty sure I’ve read comments from Perfetti’s coach who openly stated that he’s behind the curve in athletic development. That it’s something that he’s keenly aware of.

I get that, was also pointing out some guys know that and never really get it corrected. Questionable skating is a big deal for me. I like Perfetti though, I don't see a center, but he could be an elite winger.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
bad decision SY like to get more picks , not less, especially second round, where there are still high end potential picks

Ill take my chances on Byfield/Stutzle being better than #4 + whoever the 2nd rounders are. 2nd rounders are deceptive and don't turn out as good as people think.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ill take my chances on Byfield/Stutzle being better than #4 + whoever the 2nd rounders are. 2nd rounders are deceptive and don't turn out as good as people think.

LA wants a fast center, why would they trade down. I guess they could take Drysdale, but I doubt they pass on a chance for Byfield or Stutzle. They will complete their young building blocks down the middle with one of them Kupari and Turcotte. It allows them to move Vilardi back out to wing too since he doesn't skate well enough to be anything else.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Trying not to get too attached to any prospects in particular. Last year we had Zegras right there and took Seider which doesn't look as crazy now but still...it'll be interesting to see how those two stack up.

We have to hit on this pick. Hope Yzerman and the scouting staff do their homework.

Reactions: lilidk

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Perfetti's lower center of gravity reminds me of Datsyuk, he is so strong on his skates. Dman lean on him and he powers through it and scores goals with his wicked hands. He can score many different ways, he's not a one-trick-pony.
His backhand shot is amazing, his wristshot is wicked, fast and accurate (he loves to pluck corers with extreme accuracy), and he can turn a goalie on his head and softly put it through a five-hole or pop the puck up in a corner with complete and utter ease.

And on top of his goal scoring, he has eyes in the back of his head, he sees literally everything and is aware of all his surroundings. He can saucer pass the puck in Kane like fashion to any open team mate as he draws defenders to him. And he's clutch.

It's like Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Patrick Kane had a super-baby and named him Perfetti. He's the real deal, folks.

Oh, he can play CENTER. I don't know what his career faceoff % is, but in his thread on the prospect forums I sometimes see people posting he was 60% on draws on any given night.

Lastly, I think he's a better offensive threat than Rossi. Goal Cerfetti finished the year with 111 pts, but also started off slow. Perfetti is the closest thing we might ever see to the "magic man".

If they are not going to retire Fedorov's numbers, Goal Cerfetti will take 91.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yeah...

I'm not too worried about who we pick. Quite sure about Yzerman that he won't miss this. Just too many good options.

There are too many variables. Since this is the most underscouted draft in the modern era because of the coronavirus, and there are like 8 guys we could take, it's all f***ing random. Not getting a top 3 pick here, in this draft of all drafts, guarantees a higher chance to f*** this pick up.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Also, Perfetti is 5'11 - 185 ibs and is younger than other players in his group; he's 100 days younger than Rossi. He was doing amazing things in the OHL at the age of 16 that many other notable kids couldn't pull off until the age of 17.

Look how strong he is on the puck. (Bode Wilde headman's him the puck)

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Drysdale isn't defensively responsible and I don't know when LA last drafted a smallish one way defender early in a draft. Blake is relatively new so he might surprise people but it's the Kings you're talking about. They're gonna take Byfield all day long...as they should. Their minds are already made up. He's the classical LA Kings pick.
These are all ver wishful thinking. And Drysdale IS defensively responsible. He is far from one way. Has a fantastic stick and is arguably the second or third bast skater in the draft.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
What transpired last night shouldn’t have happened.

There’s hope though, wings fans. If anyone can find a special talent at 4 it’s Yzerman. Dude built a monster in Tampa.

A lot of good players have gone 4th overall. Yzerman just has to get the right guy.

upload_2020-6-27_10-44-44.gif

upload_2020-6-27_10-45-12.gif

upload_2020-6-27_10-45-34.gif

upload_2020-6-27_10-46-2.gif

J15

Mar 18, 2009

And some turn out way better than people think ie. Bertuzzi, Hronek. The truth is in most drafts, after the first 10 or so picks there's very little separating the next few dozen players, and a lot of it comes down to team preference. Fans and the media love to create this dichotomy between first rounders and everyone else as if there's a huge drop off in quality between the 31st and 32nd player in the draft. In a strong draft, like this one is supposed to be I think it would crazy to trade 3 2nd round players to move up a single spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad