Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
It's all depends on personality , character, that's why they interview prospects, to try which one is going to progress
Leadership and character is something that Rossi is praised for.

His character and work ethic is often by most of the scouts blurbs here.
One said he finished second in the OHL for points per game but he was actually first with 2.14 points per game;. The only other guy who scored more than 2 points per game was Jan Jenik at 2.07 and he only played in 27 games.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjxivSQ3aLqAhUpknIEHVFlBfgQtwIwAHoECAQQAQ&url=http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Marco-Rossi&usg=AOvVaw1GzN9q6pIW2OvsVI4Dflar

From Bob McKenzies final rankings
"Like Lafreniere, Rossi has a late 2001 birth year. In fact, he missed being eligible for last year’s NHL draft by only eight days. That extra year allowed Rossi to dominate last season, becoming the first European to win the OHL scoring title, with 39 goals and 120 points in 56 games. He remains in the same No. 7 slot he was in on the mid-season list.
At 5-foot-9, size isn’t on Rossi’s side, but he doesn’t play a small man’s game. At 183 pounds, he’s a strong, physically mature soon-to-be 19-year-old with a low centre of gravity and some power in his game. He doesn’t have huge pop in his skating but he’s smart and agile. He’s an outstanding playmaker and a very good goal-scorer. He’s plays a responsible two-way game and exhibits pro-level maturity on everything from how he trains to his overall approach on and off the ice.
Some scouts wonder how much more untapped potential there might be versus some of the younger, less physically developed prospects, that Rossi might be more of a what-you-see-is- what-you-get player. That said, nine of 10 scouts ranked Rossi as high as No. 5 and no lower than No. 10 with the exception of one outlier at No. 18."

From Elite
"The undersized Austrian has been on a tear since joining the 67s last season. Rossi’s registered in every game played and is averaging 2.3 points per game since returning from an early-season suspension. Rossi is a high impact player who possesses high-end skills and skating. He is Ottawa’s top-line centre and contributes in all situations. He picks apart defensive structures and makes defenders look silly on a regular basis.

Even though he’s small, Rossi is strong on the puck, winning battles along the boards and not getting outmuscled by bigger adversaries. Skating is a definitive strength for Rossi, as he uses his speed all over the ice to beat guys to pucks and spin off of them on his edges to avoid being physically eliminated. He’s a self-admitted playmaker first player, and with his speed and skill, he makes those around him dangerous; often being the setup man for his teammates.

There’s a ton to like about Rossi’s game and he’s a ‘get you out of your seats’ type of player. He’s shown an ability to be effective on the penalty kill, which is generally not something you see from a draft-eligible player. His head coach trusts him in a role that’s usually reserved for veteran with less skill. This speaks volumes about the trust his coach has in him, and his ability to play on the defensive side of the puck."

It seems some scouts think he may already be close to maxing out his potential because he is older and trains harder than most but if he continues to train harder than most he will continue to make more gains than most even factoring the gains already made.
That's what I like most about him.

Last edited:

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Hoping they pick Raymond. He has superior talent and upside than Perfetti and Rossi imo. Better skater, more capable carrying puck up ice and getting zone entries. High IQ, nifty hands and RH shot to boot. I like Drysdale as well but don't think he's good enough to make an exception for considering Wings RD depth

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Trying not to get too attached to any prospects in particular. Last year we had Zegras right there and took Seider which doesn't look as crazy now but still...it'll be interesting to see how those two stack up.

We have to hit on this pick. Hope Yzerman and the scouting staff do their homework.
Zegras#9 looks better now than #4 Byram or #5 Turcotte

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
And some turn out way better than people think ie. Bertuzzi, Hronek. The truth is in most drafts, after the first 10 or so picks there's very little separating the next few dozen players, and a lot of it comes down to team preference. Fans and the media love to create this dichotomy between first rounders and everyone else as if there's a huge drop off in quality between the 31st and 32nd player in the draft. In a strong draft, like this one is supposed to be I think it would crazy to trade 3 2nd round players to move up a single spot.
Bertuzzi suppose to been 3 or 4th round pick
Crazy and stupid

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I feel like we have talked enough about who to take at #4 in 2020.

Maybe we should also talk about who we hope to take at #4 in 2021? Only, half-joking as we have to be odds on favorite by a substantial margin to be there.

Since we weren't year specific in the title, I vote Luke Hughes for next year, he probably will go top 3 though since I like him. :cry:

Reactions: lilidk

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Leadership and character is something that Rossi is praised for.

His character and work ethic is often by most of the scouts blurbs here.
One said he finished second in the OHL for points per game but he was actually first with 2.14 points per game;. The only other guy who scored more than 2 points per game was Jan Jenik at 2.07 and he only played in 27 games.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjxivSQ3aLqAhUpknIEHVFlBfgQtwIwAHoECAQQAQ&url=http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Marco-Rossi&usg=AOvVaw1GzN9q6pIW2OvsVI4Dflar

From Bob McKenzies final rankings
"Like Lafreniere, Rossi has a late 2001 birth year. In fact, he missed being eligible for last year’s NHL draft by only eight days. That extra year allowed Rossi to dominate last season, becoming the first European to win the OHL scoring title, with 39 goals and 120 points in 56 games. He remains in the same No. 7 slot he was in on the mid-season list.
At 5-foot-9, size isn’t on Rossi’s side, but he doesn’t play a small man’s game. At 183 pounds, he’s a strong, physically mature soon-to-be 19-year-old with a low centre of gravity and some power in his game. He doesn’t have huge pop in his skating but he’s smart and agile. He’s an outstanding playmaker and a very good goal-scorer. He’s plays a responsible two-way game and exhibits pro-level maturity on everything from how he trains to his overall approach on and off the ice.
Some scouts wonder how much more untapped potential there might be versus some of the younger, less physically developed prospects, that Rossi might be more of a what-you-see-is- what-you-get player. That said, nine of 10 scouts ranked Rossi as high as No. 5 and no lower than No. 10 with the exception of one outlier at No. 18."

From Elite
"The undersized Austrian has been on a tear since joining the 67s last season. Rossi’s registered in every game played and is averaging 2.3 points per game since returning from an early-season suspension. Rossi is a high impact player who possesses high-end skills and skating. He is Ottawa’s top-line centre and contributes in all situations. He picks apart defensive structures and makes defenders look silly on a regular basis.

Even though he’s small, Rossi is strong on the puck, winning battles along the boards and not getting outmuscled by bigger adversaries. Skating is a definitive strength for Rossi, as he uses his speed all over the ice to beat guys to pucks and spin off of them on his edges to avoid being physically eliminated. He’s a self-admitted playmaker first player, and with his speed and skill, he makes those around him dangerous; often being the setup man for his teammates.

There’s a ton to like about Rossi’s game and he’s a ‘get you out of your seats’ type of player. He’s shown an ability to be effective on the penalty kill, which is generally not something you see from a draft-eligible player. His head coach trusts him in a role that’s usually reserved for veteran with less skill. This speaks volumes about the trust his coach has in him, and his ability to play on the defensive side of the puck."

It seems some scouts think he may already be close to maxing out his potential because he is older and trains harder than most but if he continues to train harder than most he will continue to make more gains than most even factoring the gains already made.
That's what I like most about him.

I think he is pretty much a finished product and see no way as currently constructed that he can play center in the NHL. Name a center his size without elite speed or a larger wing span to cover their being smaller. Datsyuk for instance played with a longer stick than typical for a player his height, was bigger to begin with and exceptionally more explosive as a skater in his first few strides and change of direction. I love that Rossiworks hard, but he already has a pro diet, has been seeing skating coaches and doing all the little tricks of the trade.

Rossi also in my opinion plays his best game on the wall. Now that is encouraging for when in my opinion he is eventually shifted out to wing. Maybe he can become a Marchand type that uses leverage and strength to do that, but to me Marchand also has always been exceptionally elusive as well. He does have the ability to be a very good PK guy if you find him the right partner. For instance I think him and Larkin would be a dynamite pair and his ability to take draws would allow you to cheat with him out there because he should be a good draw guy, you might even use him there before shifting him back out to the wing after puck drop.

I have trouble when trying to project Rossi up. What he dominates juniors at are really tough things to do in the pros especially when he loses the fact he physically matured faster than a lot of the junior kids. It is harder to stay on the puck at the NHL level, especially as an average skater and it is tougher to find those turnovers when your team isn't overwhelming the opponent for more than half the game which Ottawa certainly did. He was a big reason they were successful, but on most nights they were absolutely annihilating people. They were a staked team.

I don't see a dynamic talent, I don't see the measurements or athletic ability that can make it so he can play the game he currently does. I see a guy that will need to make a lot of adjustments once he gets there. I see Sam Gagner. Now that isn't a huge slight, Sam Gagner has played 800 games in this league. He has hovered at being a reliable 40 to 50 point guy and he certainly has offensive ability without killing his team in his own end, I think Rossi will offer more defensively. Gagner never could play center in the show either and again he is bigger and actually probably a better skater as prospects, he also never really could get his junior level scoring to translate because he just couldn't create the time and space he needed consistently.

I hope we pass on Rossi, heck if we trade down to eight or nine I hope we pass on him there as well.

Reactions: Henkka

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Scenario: Ottawa badly wants Drysdale, but can't pass on Byfield/ Stutzle at 3. They feel they are best served by trading up from 5 to 4 with Detroit to get their guys back to back

What does that offer look like?

Would something like 4th overall + Vegas's 3rd next year get us back 5th overall + Josh Norris?

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Scenario: Ottawa badly wants Drysdale, but can't pass on Byfield/ Stutzle at 3. They feel they are best served by trading up from 5 to 4 with Detroit to get their guys back to back

What does that offer look like?

Would something like 4th overall + Vegas's 3rd next year get us back 5th overall + Josh Norris?

It’s not happening. We have zero assets that would get us from 4 to 3. There is too big a massive tier drop off.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I feel like we have talked enough about who to take at #4 in 2020.

Maybe we should also talk about who we hope to take at #4 in 2021? Only, half-joking as we have to be odds on favorite by a substantial margin to be there.

Since we weren't year specific in the title, I vote Luke Hughes for next year, he probably will go top 3 though since I like him. :cry:

I'll go with Power or Hughes next year at 4. It's going to be an interesting draft to say the least. I'm not buying that it's a "terrible draft" as some people are starting to mention. I don't think there are any high end superstars at the top, but every draft has some players who go on to be great NHL players, and there will certainly be some stars, just maybe no superstars. Lots can change from year to year, especially this year with the uncertainties that currently exist in society.

But I'm assuming we pick a forward this year, so give me Hughes or Power at 4.

A name I already have on my radar though is Zachary L'Heureux, I think he is one to watch, and will start to creep up the rankings.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'll go with Power or Hughes next year at 4. It's going to be an interesting draft to say the least. I'm not buying that it's a "terrible draft" as some people are starting to mention. I don't think there are any high end superstars at the top, but every draft has some players who go on to be great NHL players, and there will certainly be some stars, just maybe no superstars. Lots can change from year to year, especially this year with the uncertainties that currently exist in society.

But I'm assuming we pick a forward this year, so give me Hughes or Power at 4.

A name I already have on my radar though is Zachary L'Heureux, I think he is one to watch, and will start to creep up the rankings.

I don't think it is a terrible draft, it has more D-man power and that isn't particularly sexy.

Raty, Johnson, Lucious are pretty good players.

In terms of Raty and Johnson they are going to be playing at pretty high levels, especially Raty to make that case.

Lysell, Bolduc and L'Heureux should have some say.

Clarke, Hughes, Power and Lambos are studs though, one of the best D-man draft classes in a while in my opinion.

Will add an interesting part of 2021, is seeing U of M games is sort of must see with that group and we can just head right over from the metro area. Between them and USMNTDP assuming we have normal seasons the Wings have a pretty easy time checking in on these guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedWingzz

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
red flag for Yzerman

Not necessarily. A player who is as able to accomplish what Perfetti accomplished while not being a standout athlete is certainly impressive.

This is where the projection part comes in. If he’s not a great athlete at this moment, you have to project how much more muscle he can pack on, how much speed, how much strength. Someone like Perfetti stands to increase in those areas a lot more than someone like Rossi, while already being equally or more impressive offensively.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
All the stuff I’ve listened to, the name that comes up is Askarov. Most really really like him and keep saying he needs to be mentioned in the top 5.

I’m growing to it. I had said take him and trade mantha and load up on picks the following year but that doesn’t seem like the draft to do it in.

Would Ana have any interest in jumping up to 4? What would that cost? They also have 31 and 36.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
All the stuff I’ve listened to, the name that comes up is Askarov. Most really really like him and keep saying he needs to be mentioned in the top 5.

I’m growing to it. I had said take him and trade mantha and load up on picks the following year but that doesn’t seem like the draft to do it in.

Would Ana have any interest in jumping up to 4? What would that cost? They also have 31 and 36.
I'm not really into the Askarov thing, but if they do.... it'd be more palatable if they move down a little and get an extra pick or two. If they do it, damn he better stop the black circle.

Also, please don't do that.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I will give warning on it, but honestly if we pick Rossi, I am probably taking a few weeks away from the board. It would be a selection I have disagreed with the most in my entire time of watching the Wings. It wouldn't just be me liking Hughes more than Zadina or wanting Necas over Rasmussen, I would have no understanding or justification for him in that spot. I know some like him, I get that, but seriously it would be the most disappointing thing that we have done in a very long time if it were to happen.

I would eventually root for him as I do all of the Wings, but man would I be sour initially.

Reactions: Vladdy84

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Yeah, there are some nice defensemen available next year. We will surely be picking in the top 5 or 6 next year as well, so in my mind we need to take a forward this year, and then grab one of your aforementioned defencemen next year.

Drysdale does not cut it for me. I honestly don't understand how people are even considering him at 4. I guess it's because he's the best D available, but nothing about Drysdale screams NHL star to me. Drysdale is a 2nd pair guy at the NHL level. I get sick to my stomach every time I read someone saying "Drysdale will be our Makar!" No, no he won't. Drysdale is overrated. I honestly think he's going to slip in the draft due to the high end forwards available. It's funny how the 1 team that I thought would take him is L.A, but now with their lottery luck, they won't be taking him.

We should take Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti this year, and then hope we can get Clarke or Power next year. Drafting Drysdale this year would be a massive mistake.

I've watched alot of Otters games. This take really confuses me. Drysdale is brilliant. Unless Stutzle is miraculously there because Ottawa goes off the board, then I definitely want Drysdale.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I've watched alot of Otters games. This take really confuses me. Drysdale is brilliant. Unless Stutzle is miraculously there because Ottawa goes off the board, then I definitely want Drysdale.

I like Drysdale BUT... we're almost certainly taking a dman next draft as well. Maybe we can convert one to forward? /Sarcasm

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
The only consultation prize I would possibly want at 4 is Rossi.

We’ve had the lowest goal scoring average in the league 4 years in a row. We absolutely need to be better up front, and that starts at Center. Rossi could possibly be that fit and apparently has great work ethic which Stevie Y is big on.

I’m absolutely not convinced on Raymond. Kid or not, playing on a stacked team and only getting a few points does not look great. He has bust potential written all over.

All that being said, this means we’ll probably draft Raymond or Askarov and will just add to the long list of disappointments the last 10 years.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Drysdale doesn't impress me enough to be a top 5 pick. I'm not saying he won't be a solid NHL player, but I don't see any star potential whatsoever in Drysdale. I know he can skate, and may be the best skater in the draft, but this isn't speed skating. I'm curious, how many Otters games did you watch? Along with countless highlight film, I saw Drysdale play at least 11 full games last year (I'm including all 7 team Canada world junior games), and he didn't wow me at all. I saw a defenceman who can obviously skate, and has some good offensive instincts, but there are some flaws to his game. His shot is bad..like many times when I saw him shoot, it just didn't look like he had anything on the shot. His speed does allow him to get back into his own zone, but his physical stature worries me at the next level. He doesn't look strong enough out there to outmuscle players, he relies more on his good stick.

His production also is concerning for a top 5 pick in my opinion. He wasn't even a PPG player in his draft year, that doesn't scream top 5 to me. Ty Smith outscored him in his draft year, as did Noah Dobson and Evan Bouchard. These guys are solid NHL prospects, but I don't think any of them are bona fide top pair PP QB level defencemen, and I don't see that with Drysdale either.

Add in the fact that the cupboard is full with RHD, I just don't think it makes sense to keep picking players at the same position. We got Seider last year, and it turned out that was a nice pick, and he'll be our #1 RHD for the foreseeable future.

I honestly fear we get a Ryan Murphy with Drysdale even though we're expecting Ryan Ellis. I just don't know how well his skillset will translate to the next level.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I will give warning on it, but honestly if we pick Rossi, I am probably taking a few weeks away from the board. It would be a selection I have disagreed with the most in my entire time of watching the Wings. It wouldn't just be me liking Hughes more than Zadina or wanting Necas over Rasmussen, I would have no understanding or justification for him in that spot. I know some like him, I get that, but seriously it would be the most disappointing thing that we have done in a very long time if it were to happen.

I would eventually root for him as I do all of the Wings, but man would I be sour initially.

If not Rossi, we might as f***ing well punt our 1st rounder and try to collect a bunch of 2nds.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Drysdale doesn't impress me enough to be a top 5 pick. I'm not saying he won't be a solid NHL player, but I don't see any star potential whatsoever in Drysdale. I know he can skate, and may be the best skater in the draft, but this isn't speed skating. I'm curious, how many Otters games did you watch? Along with countless highlight film, I saw Drysdale play at least 11 full games lat year (I'm including all 7 team Canada world junior games), and he didn't wow me at all. I saw a defenceman who can obviously skate, and has some good offensive instincts, but there are some flaws to his game. His shot is bad..like many times when I saw him shoot, it just didn't look like he had anything on the shot. His speed does allow him to get back into his own zone, but his physical stature worries me at the next level. He doesn't look strong enough out there to outmuscle players, he relies more on his good stick.

His production also is concerning for a top 5 pick in my opinion. He wasn't even a PPG player in his draft year, that doesn't scream top 5 to me. Ty Smith outscored him in his draft year, as did Noah Dobson and Evan Bouchard. These guys are solid NHL prospects, but I don't think any of them are bona fide top pair PP QB level defencemen, and I don't see that with Drysdale either.

Add in the fact that the cupboard is full with RHD, I just don't think it makes sense to keep picking players at the same position. We got Seider last year, and it turned out that was a nice pick, and he'll be our #1 RHD for the foreseeable future.

I honestly fear we get a Ryan Murphy with Drysdale even though we're expecting Ryan Ellis. I just don't know how well his skillset will translate to the next level.

All of the world juniors, and probably 7 or so games on OHL Live. I saw him in Sudbury the year prior but last year the Otters were in town during the juniors unfortunately.

In addition to his skating hes an elite puck mover and has a wicked shot from the blueline as well. At the bare minimum he's the same quality of prospect as Byram last year, but I think he's better.

He was the first 17 year old dman to make team Canada in like 10 years, that says alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad