ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What’s worse, falling for that “report,” or the fact that it passes the sniff test because the blue jackets are so incompetent? I think the latter.
Don't be absurd. "Negotations between CBJ and CBJ have been contentious" could possibly "pass the sniff test"? There's certainly gross incompetence on display here but it's not on the part of the CBJ.

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If the FO is making the decisions on the HC then there is no hope.
But I have to think Waddell is making the call. The "news" is scary if true that the front office won't pay for the right guy, but I have to hope it's not true.

As for how close the team is - I guess it depends on what "is" is?
If it's being competitive (you know fighting for the playoffs) then maybe close. But that is likely the case for every NHL franchise, at least this time of the year.
If the question is how close it is to really being a contendor - then it's a ways off. Terrible goaltending, with a dman group that isn't always interested in play D isn't usually what teams build around. Now we have done some house cleaning with a couple of those guys (Bean and Boquist) but this team has not played good team defense in awhile.
I unfortunately think they need to try to get something out of Elvis. Horrible contract that noone will take without us taking back another dumpster of a contract. By riding out Elvis (and hoping he remembers how to stop pucks consistently without whining about things off the ice) it likely means we are picking in the lottery again.
We have to figure out what to do with that Laine trade that "CBJ won". Again we need to get him off the team. Ton of potential I get it and I wouldn't be surprised if someday he doesn't find the right fight and become an elite offensive player, but it shouldn't be in Columbus. Just get him out and get a 2nd round pick and bad short term contract just to get him out.
Finally they have to hire the right coach. No more El-Cheapo yes-men. I was happy when we chose Babcock because I assumed we did enough diligence on him. But the way he gets the team to play is similar to Torts and Hitch which was 2 guys that could get a lot out of the roster. o we need a winner and a guy who can help develop and (IMO) change the culture to get a ton more accountbility.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I don't believe any reporting unless it comes from Friedman, AP or DW.

Now I don't where it goes from here? I hope this is a tactic for negotiations and they can bring this to a head relatively quickly. The fact AP said he was the preferred hire sours the taste for the fanbase (secondary choices, ownership being cheap, Kings sticking it to the CBJ, etc.) and possibly the candidates ( I am a secondary choice? I could be reading into this too much and the candidates don't care).

I can say the longer this goes the more stuff is going to be mis-reported and more conspiracy theories/perception will be present from a PR perspective. I don't think the CBJ wants more PR write-ups in the off-season, when they are gong to be the center of attention with no other new news coming in.

Reactions: LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Waiting patiently for portzlines Sunday gathering, but I did find it interesting that he made sure to emphasize on his podcast that McLellan to CBJ isn’t dead, that they could circle back around to him.

Given the team hasn’t moved quickly to get a coach since last week, maybe they’re trying to work out the details.

Reactions: LJ7 and CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I only believe Friedman or Biz Nasty, and even then I am skeptical. Bissonnette obviously knows someone on the Jackets or someone close to a Blue Jacket. Porty is wrong way more than he is right, but he gets a pass because he is right more than guys like Hedger. I am still waiting on the big story about Dubinsky in Las Vegas.

As this drags on I am hoping Federov will be announced as our new coach so everyone loses their minds.

Reactions: aRussian

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Now I don't where it goes from here? I hope this is a tactic for negotiations and they can bring this to a head relatively quickly. The fact AP said he was the preferred hire sours the taste for the fanbase (secondary choices, ownership being cheap, Kings sticking it to the CBJ, etc.) and possibly the candidates ( I am a secondary choice? I could be reading into this too much and the candidates don't care).

I can say the longer this goes the more stuff is going to be mis-reported and more conspiracy theories/perception will be present from a PR perspective. I don't think the CBJ wants more PR write-ups in the off-season, when they are gong to be the center of attention with no other new news coming in.
I mean PV was technically a 3rd choice for the job and he still took it when offered. We passed over him for Larsen and for Babcock. Then we fired him after 1 year.

No wonder we have trouble finding a coach. I've only seen European soccer team replace coaches this frequently. The next guy had better be the right guy.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Item No. 1: A coach is coming

The Blue Jackets’ coaching search, which has transfixed the fan base in the middle of the offseason, is heading into its final stages. General manager Don Waddell confirmed to The Athletic that two candidates are coming to Columbus this week for in-person interviews.
It’s believed those two candidates are Dean Evason, former coach of the Minnesota Wild, and Jay Woodcroft, former coach of the Edmonton Oilers. Both Evason and Woodcroft were fired early last season when their clubs got off to slow starts.

“We’re only bringing in two,” Waddell said. “I have a third (candidate) who’s kind of on hold right now, but we have the top two guys that we’d like to bring in in-person.

“This week is an important week for us coming up here. Training camp is essentially the third week in September. Do I want this to go into August? Not a chance. Now, whether we announce something (this) week or if it’s done early the following week … we’ll see how the schedules line up.”

To understand where the Blue Jackets are in the coaching search, it’s important to grasp Waddell’s process.

Waddell and his staff initially highlighted 12 candidates that deserved consideration. Not interviews, necessarily, but consideration. The list was quickly whittled to three names, believed to be Evason, Woodcroft and Todd McLellan, who has coached with San Jose, Edmonton and Los Angeles.

One of those three told The Athletic he’d already had three interviews with the Blue Jackets, one of which lasted nearly three hours. This interview, like all the others to this point, has been via video or phone.

Before Waddell decides to move into the final stages with a candidate, he has an informal but important discussion about what the parameters of a contract would need to look like to attract that candidate.

It’s not yet a negotiation, per se, but a discussion about the framework of a possible deal — the yearly salary, the length of term, which assistant coaches the new coach would want to bring with him, etc.

It was at this stage of the process that the talks with McLellan, believed to be the Blue Jackets’ first choice, fell apart last week. It’s unclear if the talks stalled between the Jackets and the Kings, who still owe McLellan $5.5 million for this coming season, or if they stalled between the Blue Jackets and McLellan.
A source involved in the process told The Athletic the snag with McLellan was “not just about money.”

The Blue Jackets must already know they are amenable to the contract demands of both Evason and Woodcroft or they wouldn’t be bringing them to town. The challenge may be deciding between the two, and determining if it makes sense to circle back on McLellan, who is most likely the third candidate Waddell referenced as being “kind of on hold right now.”

Waddell had hoped to have a coach in place by now, but more important, he said, is getting the right person hired no matter how long that takes.

The Blue Jackets’ last three coaching hires have lasted a total of three seasons. Brad Larsen, who replaced John Tortorella in 2021-22, made it two seasons before his firing became “absolutely necessary,” according to then-GM Jarmo Kekäläinen.

Then, last summer, the Blue Jackets made a controversial hiring in Mike Babcock, who had been accused in two previous stops of verbal and emotional abuse of players. Babcock didn’t even make it to training camp before he was fired for perusing his players’ private cellphone pictures as a way, he said, to get to know them.

The Jackets then turned to Pascal Vincent, who they’d passed over as coach when Larsen and Babcock got the job, putting him in charge only four days before the start of training camp. Vincent was fired about two weeks into Waddell’s tenure with the club.

“We’ve been thorough, and we have a lot of people involved internally to make sure we really dig in on guys before we move forward,” Waddell said. “I’m not one to bring in five people. That, to me, doesn’t make any sense.

“If it doesn’t go the way we want it to go (this week), there are still people we can bring in. We’d like to get it done as soon as possible, but we have to get the right person, even if that takes a little longer.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad