Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rpm197509

Nov 29, 2014
Why would we laugh if SJ offered Bouchard 4x2? It’s more than what we are paying him. I’m not talking about him next time he’s an RFA

Why are you going on about vanek and firsts? I’m asking why teams don’t offer sheet cheaper RFAs more often if no one cares.
GM's care about offer sheets. Otherwise we would see them more often. That being said a lot of things have to align in order for an offer sheet to be worth attempting. I would say the perfect opportunity to make an offer sheet happens more often than offer sheets are actually made Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lowe? or somebody offer sheet Penner? or someone and the GM at the time Bryan Burke? wanted to fight our GM. He offered to fight him in a barn near Calgary. Like I said my memory is terrible but I seem to remember something like that.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It really depends on the player but unless you're drastically overpaying said asset, most teams will gladly match and then that's that.

$500k more for Bouchard isn't all that much more. Broberg is probably making more than double what he's worth. If the Blues offer sheeted him for less than 3m the Oilers probably would've matched already without much discussion.
The reason that GM’s don’t typically offer sheet each others rfa’s is because collectively they don’t want to give player agents negotiating leverage for younger players who are still unknown quantities which would drive up the cost and risk for everyone when signing players out of elc’s. If it became open season on rfa’s then it also provides another avenue for players to force their way off teams.

Consider this situation. A top 10 pick is playing for a bad team that doesn’t have a lot of talent in the lineup. He refuses to sign with his team before July 1 at which point his agent goes on the hunt for offer sheets. A team like Edmonton comes along and offers a contract like what STL did and the chance to play with mcdavid/draisaitl, making it as uncomfortable as possible for the players current team for the least amount of compensation.

The player signs the offer sheet and tells his current team he doesn’t want to play there but of course they have the right to match the offer. So what do you do at that point? You’re a rebuilding team that spent a top 10 pick on this player and invested 3 years of development time into him and now your options are severely over pay for a player you’re still unsure about and who doesn’t want to be on your team or take a late 2nd rounder for him?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Edmonton Oilers have until high noon to match the offers we've laid out. #stlblues

Blues be like
praying.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: NedPlimpton

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
GM's care about offer sheets. Otherwise we would see them more often. That being said a lot of things have to align in order for an offer sheet to be worth attempting. I would say the perfect opportunity to make an offer sheet happens more often than offer sheets are actually made Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lowe? or somebody offer sheet Penner? or someone and the GM at the time Bryan Burke? wanted to fight our GM. He offered to fight him in a barn near Calgary. Like I said my memory is terrible but I seem to remember something like that.
Burke was mentored by Lou Lam, who is notorious for grinding his RFAs who didn't have arbitration rights. Lou, Burke like to secure that 3rd year coming off elc.
With Penner, Burke clearly didn't think the player was worth it and would rather have made a trade to keep RFAs salaries down.

Teams don't make OS unless they feel really good about their chances of landing that player, which is why the right scenario rarely occurs.

Reactions: nabob

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The reason that GM’s don’t typically offer sheet each others rfa’s is because collectively they don’t want to give player agents negotiating leverage for younger players who are still unknown quantities which would drive up the cost and risk for everyone when signing players out of elc’s. If it became open season on rfa’s then it also provides another avenue for players to force their way off teams.

Consider this situation. A top 10 pick is playing for a bad team that doesn’t have a lot of talent in the lineup. He refuses to sign with his team before July 1 at which point his agent goes on the hunt for offer sheets. A team like Edmonton comes along and offers a contract like what STL did and the chance to play with mcdavid/draisaitl, making it as uncomfortable as possible for the players current team for the least amount of compensation.

The player signs the offer sheet and tells his current team he doesn’t want to play there but of course they have the right to match the offer. So what do you do at that point? You’re a rebuilding team that spent a top 10 pick on this player and invested 3 years of development time into him and now your options are severely over pay for a player you’re still unsure about and who doesn’t want to be on your team or take a late 2nd rounder for him?
This could bite St Louis in the ass as soon as next off-season. All it takes is the Oilers having someone make an off the record comment to Neighbours while he trains here in Alberta. They can suggest that he may want to wait to see what's out there as a RFA.

Heck, if I was Bowman I'd mention how good Jake looked during his summer skates when he just happened to see him recently. Make Armstrong worry and perhaps overpay this season.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Do people actually think they're going to match Holloway and then put him on waivers?

Maybe my sarcasm detector is.broken today.

That's the very definition of petty, childish, and poor asset management.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
To me, it would be foolish to let Holloway go now that we have the cap to sign both players. Even if there's a concern for Kane being healthy before the playoffs, you have to sign the player and look at options when the time comes. I also don't see the correlation between Podkolzin and Holloway. Podkolzin is a safe bet as a 4th line winger who can skate and hit with upside.

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Skinner - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Holloway - Henrique - Brown
Janmark - Ryan - Podkolzin/Perry

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
This could bite St Louis in the ass as soon as next off-season. All it takes is the Oilers having someone make an off the record comment to Neighbours while he trains here in Alberta. They can suggest that he may want to wait to see what's out there as a RFA.

Heck, if I was Bowman I'd mention how good Jake looked during his summer skates when he just happened to see him recently. Make Armstrong worry and perhaps overpay this season.
What you are talking about is likely considered tampering. But if GM’s become more willing to use offer sheets then any player agent would be foolish to advise his client to sign an extension coming out of an elc until after July 1 so he can shop around to see if anyone would be interested in an offer sheet.

It’s pretty standard practice for GM’s to leave their non arb rfa’s to later in the summer because of the understanding that GM’s won’t poach via an offer sheet. If that understanding goes out the window then GM’s will lose that leverage and in many cases will be forced to overpay young, unproven players in order to avoid losing them to an offer sheet.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
What you are talking about is likely considered tampering. But if GM’s become more willing to use offer sheets then any player agent would be foolish to advise his client to sign an extension coming out of an elc until after July 1 so he can shop around to see if anyone would be interested in an offer sheet.

It’s pretty standard practice for GM’s to leave their non arb rfa’s to later in the summer because of the understanding that GM’s won’t poach via an offer sheet. If that understanding goes out the window then GM’s will lose that leverage and in many cases will be forced to overpay young, unproven players in order to avoid losing them to an offer sheet.
I'm partially joking. Nonetheless, it's not tampering to make vague statements to players or opposing GMs (i.e., the implication for all those IASIP fans). I agree that putting such comments in writing would be problematic.

I agree with the bold part. Neighbours' agent realized this week that he gained a lot more leverage against the Blues after the offer sheets.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Does it feel less likely the longer we wait that these guys are getting matched? Kinda feels that way to me right now. Or maybe they know exactly what they’re gonna do and just making the Blues sweat it out as long as possible.

Ps: f*** you Armstrong I bet your arms aren’t even strong p***y
Maybe the oilers are just tying up the blues picks for as long as possible before matching

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Does it feel less likely the longer we wait that these guys are getting matched? Kinda feels that way to me right now. Or maybe they know exactly what they’re gonna do and just making the Blues sweat it out as long as possible.

Ps: f*** you Armstrong I bet your arms aren’t even strong p***y
Teams usually wait until the last minute to match. It's a tiny "f you" to the team sending the offer sheet, so they can't go out and offer another one to someone else right away. The Oilers have set themselves up nicely here - they have the space to match, or they can gain a couple of needed draft picks if they don't want to. Nobody knows what they are going to do now, so they aren't over a barrel in other discussions.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Generally speaking top teams don't make offer sheets as they don't have the cap space to over pay. Usually the crappier teams can just match as they generally will have the cap space.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Why do you think there have been almost no offer sheets in the past?
I dont think giving offer sheets is taboo but i think that giving offer sheets you knownthe opposing team will match but you just want to drive up that teams cap hit even though you know you arent getting the player ARE tabboo and would lead to a lotnof shenanigans about trying to force teams to lose their cheap control of opposing players so gms only offer them if they are actually serious about acquiring player.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
If both these sheets aren't matched that would be strange...

It wouldn't make sense to create all that movement and not match at least one of those 2 players and at a glance it would make the Oilers look kind of stupid... Unless something really big is in the works. :squint:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holloway would appreciate playing top 6 minutes with Celebrini, Eklund and Will Smith than the 4th line on St. Louis.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If both these sheets aren't matched that would be strange...

It wouldn't make sense to create all that movement and not match at least one of those 2 players and at a glance it would make the Oilers look kind of stupid... Unless something really big is in the works. :squint:
Or nothing is in the works and Kane was successfully able to rehab without surgery. Team could then run a full 23 player roster and have roughly $200k of cap space to accrue until the deadline.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
But it would be funny as hell.
What purpose. You dont get the picks, the players already gotnthe money, and the team that offersheeted them that deal would claim them if not another team not afraid of the salary.

I dont even get what the jokes suppossed to be about or who jts supposed to be petty to or show up. Only the oilers would hurt themselves.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad