Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
My gut feeling is that we match on both and then we waive Holloway at some point with San Jose claiming him off waivers (would make sense as they did us a huge favor taking Ceci’s full cap hit)
This is my thinking, SJ did us a solid but it makes no sense for them to give up a good young RHD for Ceci + a 3rd. Just being fair. if SJ claims Holloway and that's the plan there needs to be more to it. Blues get nothing, we match both, Holloway goes to SJ off of waivers. You give up Ceci plus Holloway plus a 3rd just for Emberson. Yep, we got Pod for a 4th.

Maybe that's it. Hopefully there is more. As mentioned earlier, what if Broberg is also put on waivers and SJ claims him too. We trade a pick for one of their top 4 D and they gain Broberg, problem is their best D are left side. As is Broberg. Nice cap savings and we get to keep some youth.

Reactions: McDrai

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You’re arguing against a scenario that you made up that no one is talking about to try and distract from your initial ridiculous statement that the oilers will now revenge offer sheet blues players.
Where did I say the Oilers will revenge offer sheet blues players?

You are completely missing the point. The Bouchard thing is just a hypothetical scenario to help ask why don’t teams offer sheet cheaper RFAs with high potential if GMs didn’t care about offer sheets.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Fml if we match Broberg. Not heartbroken to see Ceci go, but this guy is not currently worth 4.6M. This is win now team, not a 'hopefully this guy steps into being worth 4.6M in a year or two', team. Take the Ceci capspace and find a defensive defenseman that can hold down the fort for Nurse. You can find a Broberg replacement for less than 2M bucks.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

You are completely missing the point. The Bouchard thing is just a hypothetical scenario to help ask why don’t teams offer sheet cheaper RFAs with high potential if GMs didn’t care about offer sheets.
Because there's literally no point in doing a cheap offer sheet for anyone involved.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Who said GMs don’t care about offer sheets? You continue to create hypothetical stuff just to argue about it.

Because sending out cheap offer sheets is pointless. It’s been explained over and over again. You send out a cheap offer sheet and the team happily matches. There needs to be a fit, there needs to be a team with that RFa that fits that is cap space strapped, the RFa has to actually want to sign the offer sheet. Like I said you’re taking a fairly complex scenario and dumbing it down to video game simple.

That’s my last reply. I’m done with this incredibly pointless convo lol. Multiple people have tried to explain it.

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Because why would you do the grunt work for a team that isn't yours? If the Oilers say, signed Petersson to a 4x2 deal, the Canucks laugh, match, and thank the Oilers for allowing them to sign a valued asset at an extremely reduced cost.

Bouchard is going to make a lot of money. If he somehow only made 4.4 I'd laugh until my belly was sore.
Because A : another team has to pay more slightly more money for the their player or B. You get a player probably worth more than the draft compensation.

Yes offering Bouchard 4.4 next RFA period would be laughable. Again I’m talking about last time he was an RFA when he got 3.9.

• Haha
Reactions: nabob

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because A : another team has to pay more slightly more money for the their player or B. You get a player probably worth more than the draft compensation.

Yes offering Bouchard 4.4 next RFA period would be laughable. Again I’m talking about last time he was an RFA when he got 3.9.
It really depends on the player but unless you're drastically overpaying said asset, most teams will gladly match and then that's that.

$500k more for Bouchard isn't all that much more. Broberg is probably making more than double what he's worth. If the Blues offer sheeted him for less than 3m the Oilers probably would've matched already without much discussion.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
My gut feeling is that we match on both and then we waive Holloway at some point with San Jose claiming him off waivers (would make sense as they did us a huge favor taking Ceci’s full cap hit)
It's the last year of his contract. They stand to get nore picks at the deadline if they trade him.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It really depends on the player but unless you're drastically overpaying said asset, most teams will gladly match and then that's that.

$500k more for Bouchard isn't all that much more. Broberg is probably making more than double what he's worth. If the Blues offer sheeted him for less than 3m the Oilers probably would've matched already without much discussion.
I do agree. The Oilers would match in a heart beat. I’m just saying if offer sheets weren’t that big of a deal to GMs you would think they would happen more for the cheaper prospects. Worst case you make a GM pay slightly more money, best case you get a decent player for a meh draft pick.

• Haha

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Day 1 it’s a downgrade from the dcore from last year and cap situation means we can’t really fix the D without sending someone from the forward group with decent contract out (unless we game the system and keep Kane out longer).
It has the potential to be better but right now it’s not.
I don't know if it's much of a downgrade. Ceci isn't a guy that moves the needle, I wouldn't be shocked if Emberson handled those minutes ok then you have the growth potential of Broberg factored in as well. Maybe they're not done with the blueline yet but as of now...

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-Emberson
Stecher

looks just about as good on Day 1 as (the lineup for the majority of last season)

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Desharnais
Stecher

No Nurse-Ceci alone is an upgrade on its own, hard to believe it can be worse tbh. The blueline is now younger with more mobility and puckhandling ability as well. Might be a slight step back on the PK for a while before solutions are found in Ceci/Desharnais's place but 5 on 5 I think it'll be a good deal better by playoff time which is what really matters and certainly beyond I'd think with the young guys growing. The Oilers were stuck in the mud with guys like Ceci and Desharnais, there was zero growth potential there and it would have capped the teams' upside as a result. These were forward thinking moves by the GMs (JJ, Bowman whoever) and it's something that's bold but could really extend their competitive window.

It would have been the safe move (the Holland move) to let Broberg walk and just roll with the blueline as is but this new version brings more excitement and quite a bit more upside to the table. A more modern looking blueline with mobility, puckmoving and youth mixed with vets.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Fml if we match Broberg. Not heartbroken to see Ceci go, but this guy is not currently worth 4.6M. This is win now team, not a 'hopefully this guy steps into being worth 4.6M in a year or two', team. Take the Ceci capspace and find a defensive defenseman that can hold down the fort for Nurse. You can find a Broberg replacement for less than 2M bucks.
Oilers have been looking for a good RHD for years, not available and those that are have been over paid.
Dumba, Tanev as examples

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
What's the rationale behind not being able to trade a player once they sign an offer sheet? Was it always like that?

What if the contract has to stand, but you could find a new trading partner and you couldn't trade for less than the compensation picks? If another team wanted to pay more than compensation, they should be allowed to. I assume it's just easier this way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad