Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

powerserge

Oct 12, 2022
ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/oilers-defender-eye-opening-addition-124249167.html

Emberson looks pretty good to replace Ceci for .950k vs Ceci's 3.25 playing 3rd pairing RD. Think Oilers match both Holly and Broberg but will waive Holly for SJ to claim him. Edmonton loses the 3rd round compensation pick but they cleared cap with Ceci for a cheaper, younger replacement. So our cost will essentially be two 3 rounders and the loss of Holloway to get this done. Pod in for a 4th.

What would be even better would be to waive Broberg also so SJ can also claim him and SJ trades us Walman or Ferraro for a pick. They get Broberg and a pick, we get one of SJ top 4 younger D that is 1.2-1.5 mil cheaper than Broberg. You would be upgrading Broberg for the player he is right now with a proven, still young top 4 D

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I am assuming we will match Broberg and let Holloway go after the Podkolzin/Ceci trades.

Sucks to see Holloway go but I think it was a really dumb decision to sign the offer sheet if he liked playing in Edmonton. Will be interesting to see how his career goes.

Guess we will see on Broberg. Obviously the Oilers value him moving going forward as part of the future. I think Jackson looks pretty foolish here though. He should of been proactive if he thought high of him. Hopefully it works out going forward. I have no idea what to expect from Broberg at this point though. I think we are also setting him upto fail because no one seems to have good numbers with Nurse.

I also hope that this contract doesn’t come back to bite us on other contracts but particularly Bouchards deal. I doubt he’s going to take a cut seeing Broberg is being paid more than him.
An offer sheet contract is not comparable to a conventional free agent contract. What guys like Dobson sign for long term are more relevant.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
At the end of the day I believe our team is worse today than it was yesterday.
Broberg has MASSIVE pressure on his shoulders right now to be a big step up from Ceci. If he isn’t the team will suffer and the fanbase is going to hate him.

I really hope I’m super wrong about him because if I’m not, this defence has taken a big step back this off season.
I don't agree and the Oilers upside is now boosted assuming they match Broberg.

It's essentially Holloway+Ceci for Podkolzin+Broberg+Emberson.

We know that Nurse-Ceci doesn't work. We know that Ceci is what he is which is an ok Dman but he's just sort of....there. Broberg has very real potential to be a top 4 Dman, you can see real flashes of it in the playoffs even though the analytics didn't paint a pretty picture.
They also added Emberson who seems like a guy that can step into the Ceci role and do a decent job, plus being only 24 still having some upside.

Perhaps it was a sideways move in the short term but there's so much more potential now than if they let Broberg go, kept Ceci and didn't add Emberson.
Ceci was a good soldier but I just don't see his contributions as being overly hard to replace. All people did was bitch and moan about him when he was here and now he's a big loss? Meh, I don't buy that. I do think he took too much flack but he's the definition of a replaceable Dman.
I do think that his PK work will be somewhat missed but that's replaceable too.

Reactions: 9911 and Oilhawks

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
St. Louis probably already sending an offersheet to Harley now that they know we are matching Broberg haha

Reactions: nabob

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It does feel a little suspicious that the trade was made with the Sharks, and we actually got back a potentially non-terrible player in the deal as well. Like, if you are the sharks, why do you make that deal? It wouldn't shock me at all to have the waiver be used to give them Holloway.
I don’t think it’s that complicated.

Why do this if your the sharks? They gained a 3rd and right shot 4-5 D on an expiring deal at a reasonable cap hit who can fetch them even more picks at the deadline. Let’s say they can get a 3rd and a 5th for Ceci at the deadline. Thats two 3rds and a 5th for Emerson who in isolation doesn’t fetch that much. They do us a favour while gaining a ton of picks.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Why do you think there have been almost no offer sheets in the past?
Because very few teams are in as vulnerable of a situation with players that have potentially high upside. Also because the compensation now for an offer like Broberg’s is now peanuts with the rising cap.

“Almost no offer sheets” isn’t true btw. It’s something that requires a bit of a perfect storm to be a viable option…it’s also another reason why you won’t just see the Oilers offer stupid offer sheets in return. They’re looking big picture, while fans jump from one emotional extreme to the next on a daily basis.

St. Louis probably already sending an offersheet to Harley now that they know we are matching Broberg haha
Honestly wouldn’t be surprised. And he’s worth a 1st+ type of offer.

Reactions: Canovin

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
After sleeping on it, the Oilers still have all their options.

Could match, walk away or trade with St. Louis.

I wonder if we see another move today.
I don't think Stan is done. They've got through the mess mostly, but I think Kulak is gone to let Broberg play on the left side. Munutes between the three pairings might end up being a bit more balanced (like having a 3rd scoring line and not a pure checking line). That will also allow them to keep both and be cap compliant.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Because they're seldom worth it. Either the team matches and moves on or the player is gone for far above their value. They're a tool for GMs without better options. Kevin Lowe used them because nobody wanted to be here.
You are right they are seldom worth it and almost never work out. It also upsets GMs. You think only Armstrong was smart enough to think “hey I could get a pretty good young player for only a 3rd round pick?” Offer sheets take negotiation power away from the GMs. Having your RFAs hold out for potential offer sheets is the last thing GMs want.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Matching still feels a little unlikely to me.

Here's as bare bones of a 20 man roster as possible and they'd still need to clear another $850k when Kane returns. That means you're trading Kulak for a sub-$1.9M player and have no injury spares for the majority of the season.

Realistically, the Ceci trade could just be about not having to use LTIR and to accrue cap space for the deadline.

View attachment 901817
If they aren’t matching on Broberg then it would be weird that they send out another NHL defender in Ceci and replace him with a guy with 30 games in Emberson and I think Emberson could be a sneaky good pick up.

Also it stands to reason that options/value on a Ceci trade would probably get better once the offer sheet issue is resolved if we weren’t matching.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
I don't think Stan is done. They've got through the mess mostly, but I think Kulak is gone to let Broberg play on the left side. Munutes between the three pairings might end up being a bit more balanced (like having a 3rd scoring line and not a pure checking line). That will also allow them to keep both and be cap compliant.
Sort of agree. Would not surprise me to see Kulak gone. Would make sense.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Because very few teams are in as vulnerable of a situation with players that have potentially high upside. Also because the compensation now for an offer like Broberg’s is now peanuts with the rising cap.

“Almost no offer sheets” isn’t true btw. It’s something that requires a bit of a perfect storm to be a viable option…it’s also another reason why you won’t just see the Oilers offer stupid offer sheets in return. They’re looking big picture, while fans jump from one emotional extreme to the next on a daily basis.

Honestly wouldn’t be surprised. And he’s worth a 1st+ type of offer.
Almost no offer sheets isn’t true? How many have there been?

A perfect storm? What’s stopping rebuilding teams like SJ from throwing 2.2 million at Holloway? If GMs truly didn’t care then what would be the harm of trying?

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I hope we let Broberg and Holloway walk.

I think between Podkolzin and Savoie, I’m hoping one steps up to slot in for Holloway.

Emberson looks to be a good add and with the cap savings on Ceci, I don’t mind making an upgrade somewhere with RD or Goalie maybe

Reactions: InTheBox

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Do you think at all? We ate matching Broberg for sure lol
I think you are right and we do match Broberg but it’s far from being “for sure.” Broberg is paid way too much money and has openly asked for a trade. It wouldn’t be that crazy to see something else shake out.

Reactions: Porkleaker

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Almost no offer sheets isn’t true? How many have there been?

A perfect storm? What’s stopping rebuilding teams like SJ from throwing 2.2 million at Holloway? If GMs truly didn’t care then what would be the harm of trying?
Yeah you’re right the Oilers are surely going to throw a ridiculous offer sheet at a Blues RFA next offseason to get revenge. That happens all the time. They’ll be much more concerned about getting that revenge over a rebuilding team than they will be about their own salary cap structure. Where did I say that GMs truly didn’t care? It’s not that they don’t care, it’s that they aren’t small minded and petty like fans.

Only GM in Oilers history that I could see being that petty and dumb is Lowe.

Broberg only wanted a trade because he wasn't getting ice time. He will get lots of ice time now.
Same reason Askarov asked for one.

Players want to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueswin

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
So if we match Broberg. What is the exact date that he is eligible to be traded? I assume it's from the date the offer sheet was signed?

I would run Nurse with Bouchard and play Ekholm on the right side with Broberg on the left. Pull out all stops to make sure that Broberg has as successful a season as possible.

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad