Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah you’re right the Oilers are surely going to throw a ridiculous offer sheet at a Blues RFA next offseason to get revenge. That happens all the time. They’ll be much more concerned about getting that revenge over a rebuilding team than they will be about their own salary cap structure.

Only GM in Oilers history that I could see being that petty and dumb is Lowe.
?? I didn’t say do any of this. Weird response.

Reactions: Duke74

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't agree and the Oilers upside is now boosted assuming they match Broberg.

It's essentially Holloway+Ceci for Podkolzin+Broberg+Emberson.

We know that Nurse-Ceci doesn't work. We know that Ceci is what he is which is an ok Dman but he's just sort of....there. Broberg has very real potential to be a top 4 Dman, you can see real flashes of it in the playoffs even though the analytics didn't paint a pretty picture.
They also added Emberson who seems like a guy that can step into the Ceci role and do a decent job, plus being only 24 still having some upside.

Perhaps it was a sideways move in the short term but there's so much more potential now than if they let Broberg go, kept Ceci and didn't add Emberson.
Ceci was a good soldier but I just don't see his contributions as being overly hard to replace. All people did was bitch and moan about him when he was here and now he's a big loss? Meh, I don't buy that. I do think he took too much flack but he's the definition of a replaceable Dman.
I do think that his PK work will be somewhat missed but that's replaceable too.
Day 1 it’s a downgrade from the dcore from last year and cap situation means we can’t really fix the D without sending someone from the forward group with decent contract out (unless we game the system and keep Kane out longer).
It has the potential to be better but right now it’s not.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No. They will keep him
.big part of our future. We invested too much in developing him to not keep him
Completely disagree, but I guess we'll see.

Day 1 it’s a downgrade from the dcore from last year and cap situation means we can’t really fix the D without sending someone from the forward group with decent contract out (unless we game the system and keep Kane out longer).
Not having Ceci to be used regularly makes the team better overall. He's not useless, he's just not good enough for this group.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Uh, not at all. We could pick up Barrie at 1 mill, trade Kulak for picks, send down Brown and say Ryan, match both and be cap compliant when Kane returns. Barrie was better with Nurse than Ceci, and Broby gets the 3rd pairing LHD with minutes spread out more or sheltered as needed.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You are right they are seldom worth it and almost never work out. It also upsets GMs. You think only Armstrong was smart enough to think “hey I could get a pretty good young player for only a 3rd round pick?” Offer sheets take negotiation power away from the GMs. Having your RFAs hold out for potential offer sheets is the last thing GMs want.
I really, really don't think anyone actually cares about "Upsetting" other GMs. If you seem a team's weakness you attack it.

Actually, sorry, I have to contradict myself. Holland absolutely cared about "Not squeezing other GMs". It's a stupid attitude to have. Who cares if you upset another GM?

Reactions: Canovin

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I really, really don't think anyone actually cares about "Upsetting" other GMs. If you seem a team's weakness you attack it.

Actually, sorry, I have to contradict myself. Holland absolutely cared about "Not squeezing other GMs". It's a stupid attitude to have. Who cares if you upset another GM?
if no one cared it would happen more.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It doesn't happen because it's a high risk move that generally doesn't pay off. The best RFAs are locked up quickly to prevent this exact scenario, leaving only bit players who aren't worth what you'd give up.
You keep saying this but it’s not. What’s high risk for a bottom feeder like SJ offering Holloway 2.2? Or offering Bouchard 4?

If they refuse to sign who cares? No one cares apparently.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
My gut feeling is that we match on both and then we waive Holloway at some point with San Jose claiming him off waivers (would make sense as they did us a huge favor taking Ceci’s full cap hit)

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You keep saying this but it’s not. What’s high risk for a bottom feeder like SJ offering Holloway 2.2? Or offering Bouchard 4?

If they refuse to sign who cares? No one cares apparently.
It largely depends on the compensation. STL cleverly maximized the strain it would put on the Oilers' cap without increasing compensation.

Remember when we offer sheeted Vanek? Pretty sure we would've had to give up like 4 first rounders if the Sabres didn't match.

If the Sharks offered Bouchard 4 the Oilers would laugh at them for decades for securing a valued asset at an extremely reduced cost. Therein lies the game. You want to put pressure on the team you're offer sheeting from without having to give up extremely valuable assets. No way STL in their position offers up a first with the knowledge it could be a lottery pick.

Reactions: nabob

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I wonder if the moves create an opportunity???

The Blues have zero quality defence prospects that can contribute in the next few years. Evidence of this was that they picked 3 dmen in the first 2 rounds of the 2024 draft. That alone makes this move justifiable for them.

Now that the oilers can freely match the offer sheet, I wonder if we can make a deal for a young forward or pick for future considerations if they don't? Broberg is a great fit for the Blues. Maybe we can squeeze something from them to not match.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It largely depends on the compensation. STL cleverly maximized the strain it would put on the Oilers' cap without increasing compensation.

Remember when we offer sheeted Vanek? Pretty sure we would've had to give up like 4 first rounders if the Sabres didn't match.

If the Sharks offered Bouchard 4 the Oilers would laugh at them for decades for securing a valued asset at an extremely reduced cost. Therein lies the game. You want to put pressure on the team you're offer sheeting from without having to give up extremely valuable assets. No way STL in their position offers up a first with the knowledge it could be a lottery pick.
Why would we laugh if SJ offered Bouchard 4x2? It’s more than what we are paying him. I’m not talking about him next time he’s an RFA

Why are you going on about vanek and firsts? I’m asking why teams don’t offer sheet cheaper RFAs more often if no one cares.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why would we laugh if SJ offered Bouchard 4x2? It’s more than what we are paying him. I’m not talking about him next time he’s an RFA

Why are you going on about vanek and firsts? I’m asking why teams don’t offer sheet cheaper RFAs more often?
Because again the team just matches the offer sheet with no further discussion. For instance, if the Blues had offer sheeted Broberg at 2x2, the Oilers match, thank the Blues for doing the work for them and continue on their way. You use an offer sheet to pluck a valued asset from a cap strapped team. There's no real reason to do cheap offer sheets as they'll almost always be matched.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Why are you going on about vanek and firsts? I’m asking why teams don’t offer sheet cheaper RFAs more often if no one cares.
Because for an offer sheet to be not matched it has to be an over pay. Like it’s extremely simple and you’re not getting it. Simply offering Bouch 4x2 is actually doing the Oilers a favor.

You have to look at the big picture. Look at it from the perspective of both teams.

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
My gut feeling is that we match on both and then we waive Holloway at some point with San Jose claiming him off waivers (would make sense as they did us a huge favor taking Ceci’s full cap hit)
We have a lot of players having to pass through waivers. Doesn't have to be Holloway.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Because again the team just matches the offer sheet with no further discussion. For instance, if the Blues had offer sheeted Broberg at 2x2, the Oilers match, thank the Blues for doing the work for them and continue on their way. You use an offer sheet to pluck a valued asset from a cap strapped team. There's no real reason to do cheap offer sheets as they'll almost always be matched.
and if no one cared what’s the harm of trying? No the Oilers aren’t going to thank a team for making them pay their player slightly more money…

Because for an offer sheet to be not matched it has to be an over pay. Like it’s extremely simple and you’re not getting it. Simply offering Bouch 4x2 is actually doing the Oilers a favor.
I already explained I’m talking about Bouch last time he was an RFA not the upcoming. So let’s say SJ offered him 4.4 x 2 they would be doing us a favour?

• Haha

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
and if no one cared what’s the harm of trying? No the Oilers aren’t going to thank a team for making them pay their player slightly more money…

I already explained I’m talking about Bouch last time he was an RFA not the upcoming. So let’s say SJ offered him 4.4 x 2 they would be doing us a favour?
You’re arguing against a scenario that you made up that no one is talking about to try and distract from your initial ridiculous statement that the oilers will now revenge offer sheet blues players.

Sick ninja edit ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Because why would you do the grunt work for a team that isn't yours? If the Oilers say, signed Petersson to a 4x2 deal, the Canucks laugh, match, and thank the Oilers for allowing them to sign a valued asset at an extremely reduced cost.

Bouchard is going to make a lot of money. If he somehow only made 4.4 I'd laugh until my belly was sore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad