Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

North

Jun 25, 2009
Hard to blame the players when they're offered more than they've seen in their lifetimes on a contract either. Especially Broberg, his deal is over double what he was set to make. That's life changing money for these guys.
We understand that. The Holloway one is frustrating because it wasn’t for that much more. He just allowed himself to be the patsy for Broberg’s offer.

I wonder if he’s going to be pissed at his agent if we don’t match his deal but match Broberg’s.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Stan will not match, then he will turn around and trade the picks back to St. Louis for Brandon Saad. Dude has had a H@rd @n for Saad for 10+ years.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What would be really wild is if the Oilers hold an early presser tomorrow, letting people think they are announcing something about these offer sheets, only to announce a sweet Draisaitl contract instead, ha ha ha.

Of course, that would signal that we likely aren't matching.
If they don't match either offer sheet I believe the Oiler's brass knew they were coming, the offer sheets, and never had any intention of matching or paying the duo anything close to 6.87M.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I will say despite this being a shitty situation, it has been very interesting to watch a competent management group maneuver through this and just in general this summer. Not something we're used to in recent years.

If they do end up matching it will be a very interesting camp. Emberson, Stetcher, and Brown will have an interesting battle for the 3RD spot. Max Wanner could make things interesting, but it might be later in the year.

Then at forward with so many new guys you are going to have an interesting dog fight between Podkolzin, Savoie, Perry, Jarventie, Lavoie and even maybe Philp.

Pretty excited to get training camp underway once this offer sheet saga is over.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
We understand that. The Holloway one is frustrating because it wasn’t for that much more. He just allowed himself to be the patsy for Broberg’s offer.

I wonder if he’s going to be pissed at his agent if we don’t match his deal but match Broberg’s.
I don't really get this. Holloway signed an offsheet that is 2.2M north, in total, than the Oilers were offering.

For a young player that is a lot more. Seems as if people are conflating the Holloway asking price of 1.8M and there were zero to no guarantees he was getting that from the Oilers.

But even if going on the 1.8M ask, Holloway got 1M more than that on this deal. No pittance.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Stan will not match, then he will turn around and trade the picks back to St. Louis for Brandon Saad. Dude has had a H@rd @n for Saad for 10+ years.
Noooo it was Kane and Toews who loved Saad.

They pushed for his return.

Reactions: TurgPavs

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I don't really get this. Holloway signed an offsheet that is 2.2M north, in total, than the Oilers were offering.

For a young player that is a lot more. Seems as if people are conflating the Holloway asking price of 1.8M and there were zero to no guarantees he was getting that from the Oilers.

But even if going on the 1.8M ask, Holloway got 1M more than that on this deal. No pittance.
1.8M was the Broberg ask. From the Broberg camp.

I'd like to know when the offers/asks were made. That makes all the difference.

If Broberg asked for 1.8M before the playoff run that makes a lot more sense.

Was the 1.1M offer to Holloway before or after the playoffs?

Maybe the information has been revealed but if so I haven't heard any of it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I will say despite this being a shitty situation, it has been very interesting to watch a competent management group maneuver through this and just in general this summer. Not something we're used to in recent years.

If they do end up matching it will be a very interesting camp. Emberson, Stetcher, and Brown will have an interesting battle for the 3RD spot. Max Wanner could make things interesting, but it might be later in the year.

Then at forward with so many new guys you are going to have an interesting dog fight between Podkolzin, Savoie, Perry, Jarventie, Lavoie and even maybe Philp.

Pretty excited to get training camp underway once this offer sheet saga is over.
I do think a competent group shouldn't have run into this situation in the first place. They really backed themselves into a corner, but they got out of it.

Just curious if they would've dealt Ceci sooner what the cost would've been to get rid of him

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If the Oilers don't match and somehow got Askarov or McGoarty just cause out of the picks we were compensated. That's a very good offseason despite losing Holloway and Broberg

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

It's also weird because everyone is assuming that Holloway would make up the difference on his next contract after a huge couple of years with the Oilers. He's starting the season pencilled in as the team's fourth line LW, there's no guarantee he'll get a chance to put up the type of numbers deserving of the contract he just got.

I like Holloway, I hope he sticks around. People are asking a lot of him to turn down that contract. He had 9 points last year.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

It's still nearly double. A million more. And an extra year. That's sizeable.

He didn't have to sign the offer sheet, so he can't be any more mad at his agent than he is at himself if he doesn't want to be there. He knew that signing that offer sheet meant he could be a Blue, or he could be an Oiler. These guys think of this as a business, so I doubt he will be mad, unless he can't compete with the rest of the Blues' young forwards and gets beaten out for a roster spot. If that ends up being the case, I would be happy we didn't match it, ha ha.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oilers have been looking for a good RHD for years, not available and those that are have been over paid.
Dumba, Tanev as examples
And we have one, Evan Bouchard. We need middling defensively minded ones, I wouldn't pay 4.6M for a middling one and Broberg isn't even really defensively minded.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's also weird because everyone is assuming that Holloway would make up the difference on his next contract after a huge couple of years with the Oilers. He's starting the season pencilled in as the team's fourth line LW, there's no guarantee he'll get a chance to put up the type of numbers deserving of the contract he just got.

I like Holloway, I hope he sticks around. People are asking a lot of him to turn down that contract. He had 9 points last year.
Exactly. Young guys need to make money while they can in the NHL, careers are short. What if this is the only 2 year contract he ever gets? He could be injured, or his development could stall...its awful for the teams, but every fan out there is delusional, or they have never had to worry about money, if they think these kids should have passed on these offer sheets.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
the Oilers now have the cap space to match both contracts if they want to . I wonder if they now call Armstrong and ask what he will trade for Broberg? Armstrong has one day to come up with a deal or loses Broberg. Looking at the Blues prospects, they have nothing imminent in defence but lots of good forwards. Broberg is a very good fit for them.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

North

Jun 25, 2009
It's still nearly double. A million more. And an extra year. That's sizeable.

He didn't have to sign the offer sheet, so he can't be any more mad at his agent than he is at himself if he doesn't want to be there. He knew that signing that offer sheet meant he could be a Blue, or he could be an Oiler. These guys think of this as a business, so I doubt he will be mad, unless he can't compete with the rest of the Blues' young forwards and gets beaten out for a roster spot. If that ends up being the case, I would be happy we didn't match it, ha ha.
The thing is apparently he needed more convincing to sign the sheet. I think Ferris took advantage of Holloway’s’ noob agent.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I would upgrade the defense looooong before the TDL.
Why though? The Oilers' GA was fine last year, and I think if they lose Ceci and Broberg, you could argue they kept 4/6 of their top D last year. SOO many people here considered Ceci our worst defenceman too. Seems like something that could wait until the deadline.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
The fact that we haven't heard about a match yet, less than 24 hours from the deadline is interesting to me. I thought after yesterdays later in the day trades, we'd hear sometime relatively early today. Makes me think there are more options on the table still.
They will wait until the final second of the deadline to say anything is my guess, just a a FU to St. Louis. Less time St. Louis has to look for upgrades the better.

North

Jun 25, 2009
That's interesting. Where did you hear that?
I believe someone earlier in the thread mentioned Stauffer said that Holloway is his agent’s only client. With regards to the convincing, one of the talking heads, maybe Friedman posted that on Twitter.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
I believe someone earlier in the thread mentioned Stauffer said that Holloway is his agent’s only client. With regards to the convincing, one of the talking heads, maybe Friedman posted that on Twitter.
Yeah Stauffer has said multiple times on his show that Holloway's agent has him as his only NHL client.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad