Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You're looking to upgrade when there's no one available. Wait until deadline and maybe a guy like Rasmus Andersson gets shaked loose
Why though? The Oilers' GA was fine last year, and I think if they lose Ceci and Broberg, you could argue they kept 4/6 of their top D last year. SOO many people here considered Ceci our worst defenceman too. Seems like something that could wait until the deadline.
Losing 3 defensemen and not replacing them is not a recipe for success, and it's by no means a guarantee that everyone stays healthy.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hard to blame the players when they're offered more than they've seen in their lifetimes on a contract either. Especially Broberg, his deal is over double what he was set to make. That's life changing money for these guys.

I don’t blame Broberg in the slightest. He would of been a fool not to sign it.

But the Holloway one rubs me the wrong way. I think the kid got bad advice. But it’s still his right so whatever.

Reactions: Reginald Dunlop

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

But the Holloway one rubs me the wrong way. I think the kid got bad advice. But it’s still his right so whatever.
If someone wants to give me bad advice that results in my getting millions of dollars more money than I could have otherwise, I guess I'm willing to listen.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Losing 3 defensemen and not replacing them is not a recipe for success, and it's by no means a guarantee that everyone stays healthy.
Sure, but we're talking about Desharnais and Ceci. I actually think Ceci is a bit of a loss, and there's no guarantee Broberg is an upgrade on him. But that is not a popular opinion here. If you're one that was calling on Stetcher to take Ceci's spot, that could happen.

Assuming you wait until the deadline to make an Ekholm-type add, the team should still be completely fine in terms of making the playoffs. Given that they've improved the forwards so much, they should win the division.

I also think Desharnais is completely replaceable by one of the UFAs still on the market.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
No media guessing because the answer is obvious.

Oilers grabbed a couple others to somewhat replace. Other rhan a couple of tryouts at camp we are done adding.

They are as good as gone.
So gone that it's time to discuss Draisaitl contract more.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
No media guessing because the answer is obvious.

Oilers grabbed a couple others to somewhat replace. Other rhan a couple of tryouts at camp we are done adding.

They are as good as gone.
So gone that it's time to discuss Draisaitl contract more.
This is the truth of the moment.....we will hear about an extension tomorrow morning!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I don't blame Holloway either. It is interesting that he has an agent that works only for him - makes me wonder the same, if the advice wasn't the best, but its still 1.2 - 1.5M-ish for 1 year vs just under 4.6 for the next two, so I can't blame the kid for taking that either when he's been making AHL money for a lot of his career so far. If a career ending injury happens, and he's smart with his money, it basically sets him up to a place where he can live an extremely comfortable life moving forward.

If the Oilers don't match and somehow got Askarov or McGoarty just cause out of the picks we were compensated. That's a very good offseason despite losing Holloway and Broberg
Would McGoarty sign here considering he isn't interested in signing in Winnipeg? You'd think that might be a "I want to live in the US" scenario, or a "I don't want to be roadblocked in the AHL", and in either of those cases, he would have the same issues here.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I would agree with that. But also say that in Ceci’s case, he is what he is, he’s not getting any better, and is only serviceable in his role. Broberg should be better than him soon. Kulak will be a loss, no doubt but that’s the price you pay when you get royally screwed by the Blues. Atleast it’s only 3rd pair minutes effected.

That said, now that this trade is complete. Looks like it’s only Ceci gone as I wanted and predicted, and Podkolzin may be that 1M replacement for Holloway. So Kulak is retained.
Yes, but we need the better player today, not in 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad