Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't blame Holloway either. It is interesting that he has an agent that works only for him - makes me wonder the same, if the advice wasn't the best, but its still 1.2 - 1.5M-ish for 1 year vs just under 4.6 for the next two, so I can't blame the kid for taking that either when he's been making AHL money for a lot of his career so far. If a career ending injury happens, and he's smart with his money, it basically sets him up to a place where he can live an extremely comfortable life moving forward.

Would McGoarty sign here considering he isn't interested in signing in Winnipeg? You'd think that might be a "I want to live in the US" scenario, or a "I don't want to be roadblocked in the AHL", and in either of those cases, he would have the same issues here.
I'm not sure about his situation but I just want the prospect. Watching his highlights, there's a very good player there. The Oilers would definitely make room for him if he signs here

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You know what, I like Broberg. I really do. It's a tough situation. If we match him, we have no flexibility, and if for some reason he doesn't take a big step forward, we're stuck with him for the year and can't upgrade on him. That's the issue for me. If we keep him, I'll be happy, as long as he performs. If we let him go, I'll be happy, as long as we use the cap space intelligently.

If we dont match and we wind up losing Desharnais, Ceci, Broberg out of our top 6 and replacing them with waiver scraps, we’re not getting back to the finals.

People here have such a short memory… remember when we didn’t have Desharnais Ceci or Broberg? Our defence was incapable of defending and we sucked.
I remember last playoffs when Desharnais lost his job in the top six, and Ceci only showed up for game sevens.

Reactions: Stauf4Prez

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
If we dont match and we wind up losing Desharnais, Ceci, Broberg out of our top 6 and replacing them with waiver scraps, we’re not getting back to the finals.

People here have such a short memory… remember when we didn’t have Desharnais Ceci or Broberg? Our defence was incapable of defending and we sucked.
There are many around the league that would consider Desharnais and Ceci waiver scraps

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I wonder if Oilers make it known to St. Louis we are match both Holloway and Broberg and forcing St. Louis to deal a side trade with the Oilers.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
Who is a RD that makes 5 million or would be 5 million with retention?
Nurse!!!
with 50% retention!

I'll show myself out

I wonder if Oilers make it known to St. Louis we are match both Holloway and Broberg and forcing St. Louis to deal a side trade with the Oilers.
At that point, St Louis says "Aaaahhhh F@<#, Keep the duck"

Reactions: McHelpus

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What kind side deal? Neither player can be traded for a year

Oh Paul...

Appalling

Can't believe people that report on sports couldn't do the 30 seconds of research I did to see RFA's aren't on any club on nhl.com :laugh:

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
You let them sign and because we agreed not to sign with the cap space we created, they trade us someone else for picks.

I can only think of Rasmus Anderson. He makes 4.6M for another 2 years

Bring on Rasmus! I have time for this. He would really be a stud on our back end, always hated playing against him though lol.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You let them sign and because we agreed not to sign with the cap space we created, they trade us someone else for picks.

Bring on Rasmus! I have time for this. He would really be a stud on our back end, always hated playing against him though lol.
Lol, so you really are going to trust a GM that put you in a tough spot in the first place?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Can't believe people that report on sports couldn't do the 30 seconds of research I did to see RFA's aren't on any club on nhl.com :laugh:
As in not match and St. Louis offer the Oilers a side package in a different trade

Reactions: Stauf4Prez

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon

Desharnais? They guy who sat the last two rounds of the playoffs can't be replaced on waivers?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Will it be door A or door B. Both have their merits. Still think they match both.
I feel like Option A makes the most sense. Play for the deadline and accrue as much space as you can. Maybe you go B if a prospect blows the doors off camp and you want to keep him up.

At this point, I think it's pretty much financially impossible to match both.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like Option A makes the most sense. Play for the deadline and accrue as much space as you can. Maybe you go B if a prospect blows the doors off camp and you want to keep him up.

At this point, I think it's pretty much financially impossible to match both.
You will not get a top 4 dman for anywhere NEAR a second round pick. This would be resource irresoinsible.

Reactions: capazzo

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You will not get a top 4 dman for anywhere NEAR a second round pick. This would be resource irresoinsible.
Neither is spending $4.6M on a guy that might never be one.

Especially when you have to run a 20 man roster to make it happen. The team has already played tons of hockey. Now you're playing a man short if anyone misses a game. They'll be ground to dust by the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad