Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

This is a bad take on her part.

For starters she’s comparing a 37yr old a year away from free agency to guys signing in their early/mid 20s.

Second, Crosby’s 2nd contract (post ELC)was 15.3% of the cap. Mathews current 3rd deal is 15.1%.

Crosby also got a great 3rd deal due to the previous CBA not restricting contract lengths yet. It was 12yrs 104mil total. It’s ending this coming season. To state the obvious, being able to limit a star players cap hit with a really long deal isn’t available anymore.

That same 104mil would be 13mil AAV with the current max of 8yrs for re-signing an existing player. And 14.85 AAV for a free agent signing.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

Since the last brand new arena in Atlanta worked out well...
well everything noted in that article is true, location matters this time around. As somebody who lived through it, it's been well documented why it failed last time around, from an ownership group who never really even wanted them, were too busy suing one another and viewed them as a tenant (owned Hawks and The Arena as well), little marketing, downtown arena which was a pain in the ass to get to from where many hockey fans lived, a piss poor product (winning matters, see Sunrise FL), etcetc.

I really do think it will work this time in the northern burbs ($$$, hockey fans), people used to make fun of the Braves for not selling out Turner Field downtown even when successful, but look how their move to the northern burbs has gone with the creation of 'The Battery' complex. Place is packed and the area is bustling.

I know the kneejerk reaction by many will be 'oh no not again', but this time will be different. Hopefully lol.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Since the last brand new arena in Atlanta worked out well...

That's on the group that bought the Thrashers, the Hawks, and Phillips Arena from Time Warner. They never wanted the Thrashers and they didn't like hockey. They also didn't understand why the Thrashers actually outdrew the Hawks and their fans had more money to spend. So they sabotaged the hockey team then sold them off to True North in Winnipeg without any real attempt to save them or sell them to another group committed to keeping them in Atlanta. That way the arena was all theirs and they could renovate it as a basketball only facility.

The hockey fans in the Atlanta metro, like the Braves fans, are in the northern suburbs, and that's where a new primary hockey arena would be built. I really think the third time would be the charm.

Reactions: sabremike

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's on the group that bought the Thrashers, the Hawks, and Phillips Arena from Time Warner. They never wanted the Thrashers and they didn't like hockey. They also didn't understand why the Thrashers actually outdrew the Hawks and their fans had more money to spend. So they sabotaged the hockey team then sold them off to True North in Winnipeg without any real attempt to save them or sell them to another group committed to keeping them in Atlanta. That way the arena was all theirs and they could renovate it as a basketball only facility.

The hockey fans in the Atlanta metro, like the Braves fans, are in the northern suburbs, and that's where a new primary hockey arena would be built. I really think the third time would be the charm.
If the third time isn't a charm, I sure hope they don't give them a 4th chance.

Location of the arena and the quality of the ownership group are the two biggest factors when it comes to the long term success of a team in a new market.

The big question will be how well will they support the team during lean years. And will the owners be willing to stick through those lean years, especially if the support wains.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If the third time isn't a charm, I sure hope they don't give them a 4th chance.

Location of the arena and the quality of the ownership group are the two biggest factors when it comes to the long term success of a team in a new market.

The big question will be how well will they support the team during lean years. And will the owners be willing to stick through those lean years, especially if the support wains.

I think any city willing to cough up the a billion dollars for the expansion fee (essentially, setting a floor on franchise values) will get listened to.

The next two expansion teams are going to be returns to failed markets in Atlanta and Arizona.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think any city willing to cough up the a billion dollars for the expansion fee (essentially, setting a floor on franchise values) will get listened to.

The next two expansion teams are going to be returns to failed markets in Atlanta and Arizona.
The thing for me is that I expect that there are other markets that haven't had chances previously that should get a shot first, like Houston.

But, that's without knowing who exactly has been talking to the NHL.

If Atlanta and Arizona get another shot, I hope they work. I just have doubts in both markets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad