Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I'll take the backlash but I don't think right now is the time to just pile on this idiot for what he did. I don't believe he went out yesterday and thought this would be the outcome. If he really had 5 beers, I don't think that he's much different than plenty of drivers, unfortunately.

He's probably in a world of hurt, personally, right now and realizing that his life is essentially over.

I'd much prefer to see people talking about harsher sentences for DUIs or remembering Gaudreau and his family than wasting time trying to belittle a guy who is already in the hands of justice.

It's not like Henry Ruggs where he denied he had been drinking, was driving with a woman who demanded that first responders help them out for minor injuries over the lady and dog burning alive beside her, and had to be restrained physically at the hospital to get a blood draw because he wouldn't own up to his actions.

I want this guy to go to prison forever, but I don't gain anything from wishing him death or something.
He had empty containers in his car. He was literally drinking as he drove

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
He had empty containers in his car. He was literally drinking as he drove

Is that true? Haven't seen it in any reports myself. Either way, I just don't think that lashing out at a loser who has lost his entire future makes a difference. There are more important things to focus on. He's gonna have to come to terms with this and if he doesn't, f*** him.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'll take the backlash but I don't think right now is the time to just pile on this idiot for what he did. I don't believe he went out yesterday and thought this would be the outcome. If he really had 5 beers, I don't think that he's much different than plenty of drivers, unfortunately.

He's probably in a world of hurt, personally, right now and realizing that his life is essentially over.

I'd much prefer to see people talking about harsher sentences for DUIs or remembering Gaudreau and his family than wasting time trying to belittle a guy who is already in the hands of justice.

It's not like Henry Ruggs where he denied he had been drinking, was driving with a woman who demanded that first responders help them out for minor injuries over the lady and dog burning alive beside her, and had to be restrained physically at the hospital to get a blood draw because he wouldn't own up to his actions.

I want this guy to go to prison forever, but I don't gain anything from wishing him death or something.

While I agree with the opinion that he shouldn’t get the death penalty, etc., and fully agree that he ruined three different lives with his decision (His, Johnny and Matthew’s), he should get whatever punishment he faces stacked on each other. Basically he serves his punishment consecutively. And it has nothing to do with this particular event. Serving a sentence concurrently is stupid, unless they’re gonna be on probation to finish out the sentence

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Is that true? Haven't seen it in any reports myself. Either way, I just don't think that lashing out at a loser who has lost his entire future makes a difference. There are more important things to focus on. He's gonna have to come to terms with this and if he doesn't, f*** him.

Yes reported by ESPN.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well, the Jarvis contract is interesting. Can’t imagine that survives past the current CBA.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Well, the Jarvis contract is interesting. Can’t imagine that survives past the current CBA.
I didn't even know deferred payments were allowed under the current CBA, but I guess they are. I thought baseball was the only league that did that. I can see Toronto taking advantage of this now that teams are starting to use it.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I didn't even know deferred payments were allowed under the current CBA, but I guess they are. I thought baseball was the only league that did that. I can see Toronto taking advantage of this now that teams are starting to use it.
Apparently the Shane Doan contract had a deferred payment in it years back.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda

Eh.. you see his reaction at the hearing where he was annoyed he had to spend the weekend in jail? The guy better get used to it..

Reactions: sabremike

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
While I agree with the opinion that he shouldn’t get the death penalty, etc., and fully agree that he ruined three different lives with his decision (His, Johnny and Matthew’s), he should get whatever punishment he faces stacked on each other. Basically he serves his punishment consecutively. And it has nothing to do with this particular event. Serving a sentence concurrently is stupid, unless they’re gonna be on probation to finish out the sentence

Most likely it will be a concurrent sentence as it was one unintentional action that killed two people. We had something a bit similar where I live about 5 years ago. A heroin addict, all highed up, ran over a couple high school girls that were walking on a sidewalk. One lived, the other didn’t. He received 5 years. The sentences ran concurrently. It’s just the way things go most of the time when the act wasn’t intentional.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Most likely it will be a concurrent sentence as it was one unintentional action that killed two people. We had something a bit similar where I live about 5 years ago. A heroin addict, all highed up, ran over a couple high school girls that were walking on a sidewalk. One lived, the other didn’t. He received 5 years. The sentences ran concurrently. It’s just the way things go most of the time when the act wasn’t intentional.

It wil definitely run concurrently. Especially if it’s the first time someone has been in trouble. But as far as drunk driving (and I’m not claiming he was drunk, but saying if you get into anything AFTER drinking) you should have to serve it consecutively. Especially if you’re responsible for ending someone’s life.

And I say this as someone who has received a fine for drinking then driving (and the fine was because I didn’t blow over the Canadian legal limit, but wasn’t blowing a 0.00).

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

With McDavid's $12.5M AAV deal running through next season, I wonder if he gets $15-16M AAV?

That's both a boatload of money, and maybe even a bargain as the cap goes up.

There's a big part of me that wonders if McDavid takes the same deal so as to not one-up his good friend/teammate. Not that I think LD would mind, but I wonder if McD is wired like that.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
1:09 p.m.: A whopping $104MM of Draisaitl’s $112MM total compensation will be paid via signing bonuses, PuckPedia reports. His base salary will be $1MM per season. He’ll earn $15.5MM in signing bonuses annually from 2025-26 through 2027-28. That figure drops to $13MM in 2028-29, then $11.5MM in 2029-30, then $11MM annually for the final three years of the deal.

HOLY FOOK. Now that's what is called "buyout proof". :eek3:

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I was sitting next to my wife reading the news and saw "Gaudreau was" in a headline and I was thinking surely not? For me it was an audible "oh" of shock. Not what I was expecting to see this morning. About 5 minutes later my wife had to ask "what oh".

How horrible for everyone and so sad.
Wife read it to me on the couch. She began to mis-pronounce Gaudreau and I immediately knew who it was. She said 8:30 PM Southern New Jersey and I said, "dusk" for end of August.
there had better be some manslaughter (or worse) charges in this tragedy against the drunk. f***ing piece of shit.
Vehicular manslaughter is the term I'm accustomed to hearing, but each state may have different terminology.

In summer, I'll frequently have 5 beers (or more) puttering the house / yard in the hot and humid coastal North Carolina weather. I don't drive. I wouldn't think of driving. And if I did drive, I'd be on my best behavior in terms of speed / awareness of surroundings.
It's not lashing out. The point is it was avoidable.
Add their children, their parents, their spouses, his sister's and her fiance/husband, and, and, and...
I'm not arguing - you're a good guy and poster, just pointing out it is more than 3 lives, and we're not even talking about past/current teammates, etc.
In some jurisdictions, I believe repeat offenses, even if "unintentional" can have "aggravation" (maybe that's the wrong term) or other clauses added to the sentencing to increase duration. (I have no knowledge if a repeat offense or not.)

I used to bike at dusk or after dark when I was younger (returning from work, friend's houses, etc.) as I didn't have a car for myself (shared with siblings, jobs took priority, I biked around WNY in Summers/Falls when weather was good). Not so much where I live now. People don't look for cyclists.

Reactions: oldgoalie and DJN21

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Wife read it to me on the couch. She began to mis-pronounce Gaudreau and I immediately knew who it was. She said 8:30 PM Southern New Jersey and I said, "dusk" for end of August.

Vehicular manslaughter is the term I'm accustomed to hearing, but each state may have different terminology.

In summer, I'll frequently have 5 beers (or more) puttering the house / yard in the hot and humid coastal North Carolina weather. I don't drive. I wouldn't think of driving. And if I did drive, I'd be on my best behavior in terms of speed / awareness of surroundings.

Add their children, their parents, their spouses, his sister's and her fiance/husband, and, and, and...
I'm not arguing - you're a good guy and poster, just pointing out it is more than 3 lives, and we're not even talking about past/current teammates, etc.

In some jurisdictions, I believe repeat offenses, even if "unintentional" can have "aggravation" (maybe that's the wrong term) or other clauses added to the sentencing to increase duration. (I have no knowledge if a repeat offense or not.)

I used to bike at dusk or after dark when I was younger (returning from work, friend's houses, etc.) as I didn't have a car for myself (shared with siblings, jobs took priority, I biked around WNY in Summers/Falls when weather was good). Not so much where I live now. People don't look for cyclists.

I used to roll my eyes at my mom insisting on my wearing light clothing if I was going to be on roads at night. Can’t tell you how many people I’ve almost murdered in the years I delivered pizzas. People dressed in all black walking down a 50mph road 2 inches from the shoulder at night in the rain. Lots of “invincible” drunk college kids that were more “invisible” when they’d wander along roads. Nowadays it’s high school kids on e-bikes and scooters.

It’s also why I refuse to ride a bike on the road unless absolutely necessary. Don’t care what the law says. If there’s a sidewalk, I’m taking my bike on it. And if I do ride on the side of road (always on the side, I will never ride in the road itself pretending I’m a car), I ride against traffic instead of with traffic, which is the opposite of the law.

Thankfully, I find extended biking too painful of a hobby to want to do it more often. Otherwise I’d be disappointed at how difficult it is to really do safely in the vast majority of places.

Reactions: alehman42

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

I agree with your response to my quote, but generally there’s three families his decision affected. His and his kids (now they lost their dad), Johnny and his kids (they lost their dad and will never know him), and Matthew (his kid lost their dad and will never know him).

And in a weird way, his (the drivers) kids might be the most affected by it because I assume they’re the oldest, so they probably know him.

Regardless it’s a shitty situation all around.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

The way I read this, there were two cars that moved from the right lane to the left lane because they were coming up on the two cyclists. The guy that hit them was likely driving fast in the left lane, was frustrated at the slower vehicles in the left lane, and swerved into the right lane to pass them and struck the two cyclists.

Impatience, and potentially drunk driving, was deadly in this case.

I ride my ebike to work almost every day in summer. While I appreciate people moving over when they pass me ..I really don't like how they completely go over into the opposite lane. I feel one day it is going to cause an accident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad