Confirmed with Link: Oilers Do Not Match Broberg ($4.58M X2) & Holloway ($2.29M x 2) Offer Sheets | Oilers acquire STL 3rd '28 & Paul Fischer for Futures

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Would You Do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
At this point, why match either?
take the picks and run with what you got now
This is what I'm leaning towards as well. They've replaced these two guys (sort of) with lesser picks and made some cap space, now they can let both of these guys go, get a couple of picks from the Blues, and work with a 2nd and 3rd rounder in this draft instead of...well, nothing in this draft.

Yes, but we need the better player today, not in 2 years.
We also needed to make some changes to that blueline after last years playoffs. Ceci may not have been the biggest culprit, but having him here did mean that we can't improve the slot he was in. Now, Ceci is gone, and we might have some assets to actually improve on that 2RD spot. Maybe.

Reactions: Reasonable Oil Fan

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yes, but we need the better player today, not in 2 years.
True. But we also needed better than Ceci, and Ceci is what he is. Atleast with Broberg there’s high potential he can be better than Ceci. I think his year in the AHL and what he showed in the playoffs gives us a good bet that that happens sooner than later.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I would agree with that. But also say that in Ceci’s case, he is what he is, he’s not getting any better, and is only serviceable in his role. Broberg should be better than him soon. Kulak will be a loss, no doubt but that’s the price you pay when you get royally screwed by the Blues. Atleast it’s only 3rd pair minutes effected.

That said, now that this trade is complete. Looks like it’s only Ceci gone as I wanted and predicted, and Podkolzin may be that 1M replacement for Holloway. So Kulak is retained.
The offersheet really screwed us though, we needed to have traded Ceci and picks for upgrades, not to retain a player that we already had penciled in, Broberg has no benefit to the oilers at 4.5 and hinders us from upgrading now.

I would take a victory lap in vindication for predicting and wanting Ceci gone, we got worse with that trade.

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
This is what I'm leaning towards as well. They've replaced these two guys (sort of) with lesser picks and made some cap space, now they can let both of these guys go, get a couple of picks from the Blues, and work with a 2nd and 3rd rounder in this draft instead of...well, nothing in this draft.

We also needed to make some changes to that blueline after last years playoffs. Ceci may not have been the biggest culprit, but having him here did mean that we can't improve the slot he was in. Now, Ceci is gone, and we might have some assets to actually improve on that 2RD spot. Maybe.
Holloway I was always "either way"
but, once I saw the 4.5M offer for Broberg I knew right away that would be foolish for us to match (even though I like the player). The price just didn't make sense.
Now we have a roster and a bit of cap room, something we didnt have a couple of days ago

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Now that we got the room ppl don't want them anymore, HFOilers in a nutshell
It comes down to whether or not that 6.8M in cap space is better spent on Broberg and Holloway, or on other things, including potentially being cap compliant before we put Kane on LTIR. Regardless of whether we have the room or not, that's still a steep cap hit for those two guys given their production so far. I'm at the point where if we match the offer sheets of either (or both), I'm fine with it, but I'm also not going to be too upset if we don't, unless this management team piddles away the cap space we get on turds and bums like previous management groups would have.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The offersheet really screwed us though, we needed to have traded Ceci and picks for upgrades, not to retain a player that we already had penciled in, Broberg has no benefit to the oilers at 4.5 and hinders us from upgrading now.

I would take a victory lap in vindication for predicting and wanting Ceci gone, we got worse with that trade.
Yeh the offer sheet did screw us. Ideally we’d have kept both, with Broberg being paid an appropriate number. But can’t control what the assholes at the Blues do. Have to work with the cards dealt.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Trading Ceci for picks and upgrades might not have been in the cards. We've been exploring that for 2 years now and no upgrades presented themselves. Let's give this kid we got from San Jose a chance, he's got some good tools and solid history in the AHL, maybe he jumps in and performs better than expected. It would be a nice change to win on picking up an unknown for once.

Staples, you silly goose. Maybe go check any other teams site before you post this publicly.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeh the offer sheet did screw us. Ideally we’d have kept both, with Broberg being paid an appropriate number. But can’t control what the assholes at the Blues do. Have to work with the cards dealt.
I don't blame the Blues at all. This really is on Jackson and to some degree Bowman.

You left yourself in a shit situation and were probably bickering over a few hundred thousand dollars at one point and now look at what it costs you.

It's been brought up on here, social media, radio etc.. about potential offersheets for a month. It was a smart move by STL to try speed up their transition period.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It comes down to whether or not that 6.8M in cap space is better spent on Broberg and Holloway, or on other things, including potentially being cap compliant before we put Kane on LTIR. Regardless of whether we have the room or not, that's still a steep cap hit for those two guys given their production so far. I'm at the point where if we match the offer sheets of either (or both), I'm fine with it, but I'm also not going to be too upset if we don't, unless this management team piddles away the cap space we get on turds and bums like previous management groups would have.
I'm pretty much at the same point. I'm indifferent to what they decide, but I'm hoping there's a clear plan if they decide to let them walk. Need to be able to find a top 4D replacement if not. Was really looking forward to the forward lines with Holloway here, but if he isn't then it is what it is. Lots of interesting faces fighting for spots at camp this year.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't blame the Blues at all. This really is on Jackson and to some degree Bowman.

You left yourself in a shit situation and were probably bickering over a few hundred thousand dollars at one point and now look at what it costs you.

It's been brought up on here, social media, radio etc.. about potential offersheets for a month. It was a smart move by STL to try speed up their transition period.
We can blame the Blues as well. Our management left this possibility open, but the Blues are the ones offering our players 2 - 4 times their values. Yes, its in the rules, they are allowed to, but we can still dislike them for it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

That’s one rumor/narrative out there. I also heard they wouldn’t sign for the very real possibility that an offer sheet could come. I won’t form an opinion on if JJ and Bowman screwed up until something solid about the negoations came out. The most solid assessment I’ve heard is from Bob who pretty much put the blame on Holland for not signing the players mid season.

Reactions: Macblender

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Broberg was at odds with the organization months before either of those guys were near this organization. Broberg and Holloway were high pedigree prospects that were being slow played. Lack of trust, lack of earning potential. This is very much a result of 'overripening' our prospects.

Agree that it's a smart move by St Louis though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We can blame the Blues as well. Our management left this possibility open, but the Blues are the ones offering our players 2 - 4 times their values. Yes, its in the rules, they are allowed to, but we can still dislike them for it.
That's kind of what offer sheets are though. They are never market value as players wouldn't sign them in the first place.

That’s one rumor/narrative out there. I also heard they wouldn’t sign for the very real possibility that an offer sheet could come. I won’t form an opinion on if JJ and Bowman screwed up until something solid about the negoations came out. The most solid assessment I’ve heard is from Bob who pretty much put the blame on Holland for not signing the players mid season.
Even if Holland is to blame. Jackson had plenty of time to step in and fix it. Either sign them or trade them for more than what an offersheet was going to return.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That's kind of what offer sheets are though. They are never market value as players wouldn't sign them in the first place.

Even if Holland is to blame. Jackson had plenty of time to step in and fix it. Either sign them or trade them for more than what an offersheet was going to return.
JJ was dealing with these players in a totally different situation though. Post playoffs, where they showed to the Oilers and most of the NHL world how good they could be.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

1724102905854.png

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

If we dont match and we wind up losing Desharnais, Ceci, Broberg out of our top 6 and replacing them with waiver scraps, we’re not getting back to the finals.

People here have such a short memory… remember when we didn’t have Desharnais Ceci or Broberg? Our defence was incapable of defending and we sucked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad