Who should be the next head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Would you feel this way if there wasn't a bunch of shitty twitter reporting about it?
Exactly. There isn't even a post on the mains about this, and you know the mains love nothing more than a good Shit On Columbus thread. We are making an absolute mountain out of a molehill here.

Reactions: Indy18 and CBJx614

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Also, if he thinks it is going to take a few years to make the playoffs and DW thinks we can make it next year, it is probably a relationship set up for disaster.
This was my take from the "difference"; Waddell thinks we can compete quickly - maybe he's confident he can make signings and trades that improve the team significantly - but from the outside that looks a bit unrealistic, so a new coach is approaching this as a long-term project and wants a longer term to be able to showcase his work.

There's probably no right answer to this one.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Would you feel this way if there wasn't a bunch of shitty twitter reporting about it?
Yeah. Figuring that D-Wad had made up his mind to can PV fairly quickly into his tenure and the top 3 candidates solidified quickly I would have guessed that a lot of the crossing T's would have been done before hand. Now it appears it was not even close to what has happened. None of McClellan, Evason or Woodley were involved in the playoffs. CF incoming/ongoing.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
This coaching search is beginning to look like a typical CBJ clusterflop.
Respectfully disagree: I’d much rather the GM take the time to do it right than hire somebody quickly so he can declare victory. I want a GM who takes the time to make the process work. (I think of this idealized GM as the anti-Doug.)

What matters is results. If the new-hire turns in a a Babcock-level disaster, then we can grab the torches and pitchforks. Right now, we don’t know if he’s doing it right or not, but at least we know he’s not making impulsive decisions. I take that as a positive sign.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
One view is the Jackets are screwing up yet another coaching hire. Based on the last few years, this is a very reasonable assumption to make.

Another view is Porty, Hedger, etc. have no idea what is going on but they need to get clicks so they are throwing stuff out there while the Jackets are finally doing a thorough job for a critical hiring. Based on the last few years of tweets, this is also a very reasonable assumption to make.

I have no idea what is going on. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I don’t believe what Porty or Hedger or other people tweet. I am still skeptical of the CBJ management while JD and Priest are still around. So I am mostly staying away from the coaching stuff. When it happens, it happens.

I do think it will be interesting to see who breaks the hiring news. Will they leak to a local guy to build up some goodwill? Will a well connected national guy be the first with the story?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This was my take from the "difference"; Waddell thinks we can compete quickly - maybe he's confident he can make signings and trades that improve the team significantly - but from the outside that looks a bit unrealistic, so a new coach is approaching this as a long-term project and wants a longer term to be able to showcase his work.

There's probably no right answer to this one.
I'm more prone to believe the long term view on this one is the right one unless we can acquire more vets that we haven't yet.

The roster is still too young. They need to develop a cohesive structure and that won't happen overnight. and Jarmo also believed we were closer than we really were and look where it got him.

If that is the root of a difference in philosophies, I'd be more inclined to side with the people who want to be patient. If I was coach still getting paid by another team I would be uneasy about taking a job where I was expected to win virtually right away and the roster was not constructed to do so.

If he's willing to teach and take the longer term approach, then he should be allotted the chance to do so with an appropriate contract length to see it through.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
my working theory (that is 99% just pure copium on my part) on the hedger stuff is that mclellan actually wants them to compete now and waddell wants to be patient.

hedger never said what mclellan's position was on the jackets' timeline, just that there was a difference in perspective. and what coach is going to want a rebuild?

Reactions: LJ7

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
One view is the Jackets are screwing up yet another coaching hire. Based on the last few years, this is a very reasonable assumption to make.

Another view is Porty, Hedger, etc. have no idea what is going on but they need to get clicks so they are throwing stuff out there while the Jackets are finally doing a thorough job for a critical hiring. Based on the last few years of tweets, this is also a very reasonable assumption to make.

I have no idea what is going on. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I don’t believe what Porty or Hedger or other people tweet. I am still skeptical of the CBJ management while JD and Priest are still around. So I am mostly staying away from the coaching stuff. When it happens, it happens.

I do think it will be interesting to see who breaks the hiring news. Will they leak to a local guy to build up some goodwill? Will a well connected national guy be the first with the story?
Hedger legit has flopped more than a fish on this story. I take anything he says from this and his sources with zero credibility until someone else can back it up. He's legit changed his story twice the past 24 hours I feel like is only doing that to stir up the twitters and get the clicks.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
You want them to rush through this decision-making process? I don't.

It sometimes takes me 2 months just to hire a temp :laugh:
I think the point is that it appears GMDW has already decided who his first choice is. That would mean the decision-making process was done...and now it's not.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think the point is that it appears GMDW has already decided who his first choice is. That would mean the decision-making process was done...and now it's not.

"appears" ... based on what exactly?

Full circle to the original point

Reactions: CBJx614

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
"appears" ... based on what exactly?

Full circle to the original point
It's why I used the word "appears". Based on the social media posts that give fans the impression the discussions with T-Mac went beyond the interview stage.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It's why I used the word "appears". Based on the social media posts that give fans the impression the discussions with T-Mac went beyond the interview stage.

The reporting has been shit and people are overreacting to it, I completely agree.

Hire the right guy, even if it takes a little longer.

Reactions: Fred Glover

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
People are getting way ahead of things complaining about a coach’s performance in the playoffs
First the team needs to sniff the playoffs

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hedger legit has flopped more than a fish on this story. I take anything he says from this and his sources with zero credibility until someone else can back it up. He's legit changed his story twice the past 24 hours I feel like is only doing that to stir up the twitters and get the clicks.
This. The way I see it, Portzline has good info but he only gets as much as the org allows him, and Hedger doesn't have jack shit.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'll take a shot. Either Q or Babcock. :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Monk

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If this team was on the cusp of being legit Stanley Cup contenders, then I'd be of the mind that the HC hiring process should have been completed by now. But it's not so..............

Let the new FO take its time on this. Time is not of the essence in this situation. The last 4 coaching decisions (not coming to some accord with Torts/Larsen/Babcock/Vincent) have been piss poor. If it takes a while to sort through the financial details (or whatever) for a team paying multiple fired coaches/GMs and a soon-to-be sent out to pasture Team President then so be it.

A new HC will soon be in place soon. It makes no difference if it's later today or early next month. We ain't winning the Cup in 24-25.

Reactions: KJ Dangler and Monk

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Which goes to monk’s earlier point about whether the issue is with the organization and the process or with the coverage of said.

Reactions: Monk

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
"If this team was on the cusp of being legit Stanley Cup contenders"...

People would whine about the system played to get them there, the coach, the player mix etc...

Reactions: Fred Glover

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I agree that Hedger has been all over the place, so I'm not taking stock in his reports.

If term is an issue, I'm fine with Waddell playing hardball and not going over 3 years. There's no other teams that they are bidding against and if I was McConnell, who has had to pay a bunch of coaches to not coach the last couple of years, I'd be telling DW that 3 year term is the max. That's plenty of time for a coach to put this team on the right track - if that happens, that coach can get his 2 year extension then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad