Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
This move could also just mean Kane is healthy and they still walk away from both Broberg and Holloway.

Guess we will find out tomorrow.
Certainly possible, but given all the insiders have reiterated at least a few months off for him, I suspect at least one will be matched.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This move could also just mean Kane is healthy and they still walk away from both Broberg and Holloway.

Guess we will find out tomorrow.
This is true. Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that we are matching the offer sheets, when the Oilers might have used this opportunity to get some value for Ceci, bring in a RD they think has the upside to play for us, and trade for a replacement for Holloway, while getting under the cap ceiling so we are cap compliant without using any LTIR space. In that scenario, we start accruing cap space as soon as the regular season begins and a player is injured - heck, even if Kane has to go on LTIR, this could be a move to get us to where we need to be cap-wise to make best use of LTIR money.

It's entirely possible that the Oilers still walk away from overpaying these guys.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Read again, I did not say it was bad for the Sharks
Perhaps not, but it definitely came off that way...

You'll have to forgive me for jumping the gun, given all the "Grier is the worst GM of all time!!!" because he... "only" got a 3rd rounder for taking a passable veteran who will help his team and is neither overpaid nor under contract for more than a single year. Like, people just really look for any excuse to dump on Grier even though 90% of Sharks fans are quite happy with him.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Perhaps not, but it definitely came off that way...

You'll have to forgive me for jumping the gun, given all the "Grier is the worst GM of all time!!!" because he... "only" got a 3rd rounder for taking a passable veteran who will help his team and is neither overpaid nor under contract for more than a single year. Like, people just really look for any excuse to dump on Grier even though 90% of Sharks fans are quite happy with him.
I was actually trying to defend him when I entered this thread!

The guys he chose for the Hertl and Meier returns were far more impactful decisions, also the guys he decided to take at the top of the draft in terms of whether he succeeds. The Hertl trade is relatively unique in that we have no idea what that market looked liked compared to the Meier one and it came as a bit of shocker to trade him and to trade him at that deadline, so I mentioned it.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
*team wins stanley cup

“I kNoW a ThInG aBoUt BaD gMs!!”

Ah yes, the always accurate HF board message board value chart trumping the real
World.
Hilarious. Spin this however you want, if it's going to make you feel better.

Did the Carolina Hurricanes give the Maple Leafs 'a break' when they were desperate to get cap space and wanted to get rid of Patrick Marleau ? No, it cost a 1st round pick.

Did the Montreal Canadiens give the Calgary Flames 'a break' when they were desperate to get cap space and wanted to get rid of Sean Monahan ? No, it cost a 1st round pick.

Now Ceci doesn't have the same cap hit as those guys BUT those teams weren't facing a double-offer sheet with only 1 week to make a decision and try and get something done.

A 3rd round pick is terrible value for that given situation and the only people suggesting otherwise are either sharks fans or oiler fans (because they feel bad their GM pulled one over on your GM).

He should still be able to recup at least a 2nd at the 2025 TDL by trading Ceci to a contender (well, that's the theory but then again, who knows with this guy, jeez) but that still doesn't mean that he didn't get enough with the original transaction.

It's weird because if he wanted to see how it's done -> see Kent Hughes, GM Montreal Canadiens
This JUST f***ing happened!!

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Ok.

I think he just liked Ceci and did the trade for that reason to be honest and it's not about squeezing out some more draft capital, but if he were trying to follow the Armstrong model that is how it works. The price is what the market bears, and if you are undercutting everyone that becomes the baseline price that all negotiations work from.
There was probably a bigger market for Ceci than people think. Return is solely based on getting the best value and that can only happen if there's enough demand. It's not about setting a specific price point and expecting teams to adhere to it. Teams aren't going to be, "Oh well, I want the player, but this other player came with this pick attached so I'm not doing the deal unless I get the same."

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
There was probably a bigger market for Ceci than people think. Return is solely based on getting the best value and that can only happen if there's enough demand. It's not about setting a specific price point and expecting teams to adhere to it. Teams aren't going to be, "Oh well, I want the player, but this other player came with this pick attached so I'm not doing the deal unless I get the same."
I'm speaking from the mindset of "I don't want this guy, you have to pay me to take him" which is the traditional model for cap dump trades. I actually do think Grier wanted Ceci, and is seemingly fine just getting vets that he likes whoever they may be if the price is reasonable (e.g. Barclay Goodrow for free) and doesn't seem to care about using that leverage like Armstrong did.

It's a bit of a missed opportunity imo but not a huge deal in the grand scheme.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Given this Oilers trade.
What if they go back to the Blues now and say, we won't match the Broberg offer sheet if you make so and so trade with us. If it can gain them depth forwards on good contracts and potentially one one of the cheaper d-men. And if they don't make some trade they will match it.

How interested is the Blues in Broberg, and would they do that to make it happen?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Did the Carolina Hurricanes give the Maple Leafs 'a break' when they were desperate to get cap space and wanted to get rid of Patrick Marleau ? No, it cost a 1st round pick.

Did the Montreal Canadiens give the Calgary Flames 'a break' when they were desperate to get cap space and wanted to get rid of Sean Monahan ? No, it cost a 1st round pick.

Now Ceci doesn't have the same cap hit as those guys BUT those teams weren't facing a double-offer sheet with only 1 week to make a decision and try and get something done.

A 3rd round pick is terrible value for that given situation and the only people suggesting otherwise are either sharks fans or oiler fans (because they feel bad their GM pulled one over on your GM).

He should still be able to recup at least a 2nd at the 2025 TDL by trading Ceci to a contender (well, that's the theory but then again, who knows with this guy, jeez) but that still doesn't mean that he didn't get enough with the original transaction.

It's weird because if he wanted to see how it's done -> see Kent Hughes, GM Montreal Canadiens
I love armchair GMs claiming they know what other GMs can and cannot get based on other random trades.

The Marleau example is particularly hilarious because the Canes IMMEDIATELY waived him. He had absolutely no value to the team whatsoever and was making more than twice Cody. Monahan as well, although he certainly turned his career around.

Ceci immediately becomes the team's top experienced blue-liner that'll not just help stabilize the back-end but will allow the team to keep their D-prospects marinating in the minors without having to be rushed. You're looking at this trade as solely a cap dump for pick transaction when in reality it was a rebuilding SJ team taking advantage of a cash-strapped Edmonton team needing to get rid of a decent player while also getting a pick in the process. Both teams found a trade partner that fit the needs of what they were offering. Cody didn't fill the needs for Edmonton but he certainly does for SJ, and at the end of the day Grier's job is to make the team better.

Claiming a third round pick is terrible because you read on the boards that teams should get at least a first tells me you rely way to much on what random posters have to say.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

Grier just took Walman as a cap dump with a 2nd. He also got a 3rd and a decent RD prospect in Thompson for sending Duclair to TBL at the deadline, kind of like the Ceci flip you're proposing. Picked up Dellandrea for a 5th. Originally picked up Emberson off waivers and flipped him in this trade. So maybe he actually isn't the world's worst GM and any of us could do better?

Maybe the story's not so cut and dry "golly gee Mike Grier doesn't know his ass from his elbow" and "who knows with this guy, jeez" and actually the markets are more complex than keyboard jockeys like you and me wish/hope.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm speaking from the mindset of "I don't want this guy, you have to pay me to take him" which is the traditional model for cap dump trades. I actually do think Grier wanted Ceci, and is seemingly fine just getting vets that he likes whoever they may be if the price is reasonable (e.g. Barclay Goodrow for free) and doesn't seem to care about using that leverage like Armstrong did.

It's a bit of a missed opportunity imo but not a huge deal in the grand scheme.
I also think if there's a market for these players then there is no leverage. Take the player with a third or we'll just look elsewhere. Grier's building relationships while getting vet players with picks attached, yet for some reason his tenure now is being defined by some because he didn't get a higher pick.

People here seem to be only looking at things from an Edmonton perspective.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I also think if there's a market for these players then there is no leverage. Take the player with a third or we'll just look elsewhere. Grier's building relationships while getting vet players with picks attached, yet for some reason his tenure now is being defined by some because he didn't get a higher pick.

People here seem to be only looking at things from an Edmonton perspective.
People are pissed the Oilers didn't get taken to the cleaners, that's what it's about really.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Given this Oilers trade.
What if they go back to the Blues now and say, we won't match the Broberg offer sheet if you make so and so trade with us. If it can gain them depth forwards on good contracts and potentially one one of the cheaper d-men. And if they don't make some trade they will match it.

How interested is the Blues in Broberg, and would they do that to make it happen?
I think that would certainly be unprecedented, if an offer sheet turned into another trade with the two teams involved, just to ensure that the OS isn't matched. It would be interesting though. I can't imagine what the Oilers would ask for, or if the Blues would feel the ask is worthwhile. It certainly wouldn't be a large trade, in my opinion. The biggest issue, is that both teams need young defensemen, ha ha ha.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Given this Oilers trade.

I suspect there’s likely some last minute negotiating going on between the Blues and Oilers.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Grier just took Walman as a cap dump with a 2nd. He also got a 3rd and a decent RD prospect in Thompson for sending Duclair to TBL at the deadline, kind of like the Ceci flip you're proposing. Picked up Dellandrea for a 5th. Originally picked up Emberson off waivers and flipped him in this trade. So maybe he actually isn't the world's worst GM and any of us could do better?

Maybe the story's not so cut and dry "golly gee Mike Grier doesn't know his ass from his elbow" and "who knows with this guy, jeez" and actually the markets are more complex than keyboard jockeys like you and me wish/hope.
I think there's also some difficulty with nailing down Cody Ceci's value.

Some of the bigger, louder mouths on the trade board insisted up and down that it would cost the Oilers a first or a first plus to move Ceci, but the reality is he's a decent 4/5, prime aged, with a decent short-term contract that played a lot of minutes for a good team in a position where there's always demand. He's a shoe-in to play top 4 minutes for the Sharks, and whether or not it's a tank season, someone has to play those minutes.

I don't think the Sharks did poorly here. I do think that the Oilers did significantly better than many expected, and that irritates many of the aforementioned loudmouths.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I hate Ceci's puck retrieval and puck moving game so I'm very happy this has finally happened. He defends well in front of the net, but you can find players who do that for cheap. Ceci is not a bad Defenceman by any means, but the areas he lacks in are areas that this Oilers team needs in its current design. They need better puck retrieval D who can move the puck, and Ceci just isn't that.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If reality is “spin” to you, that’s on you. Sounds like maybe you don’t know what offer sheets are and how they work?

Do you know what an offer sheet is?
You clearly don’t. If Broberg wanted to sign with only the Oilers he wouldn’t have signed this. He could have accepted the much cheaper contract they were offering. And I’m sure he assumed there was more than a decent chance that Edmonton wouldn’t match the OS. Keep doing mental gymnastics though.

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Even if SJ can use Ceci they are likely the only rebuilding team who have room for another defenseman. Should have gotten at least a 2nd to take him.

Sharks really let the oilers off easy here. Could've squeezed for a 1st or 2nd honestly

Edmonton did not have a 2025 2nd round pick (or even 1st round pick to give). So if would have to be a 2026 or 2027 2nd rounder in the deal. The Sharks somehow were sitting on only 5 picks for the upcoming draft (probably throw one going the other way for higher picks) so adding a 3rd this year probably has similar value for their plan. And it easy to say what they could and couldn't have done in a vacuum not knowing if anyone else was in the mix.

Reactions: coooldude

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
People are pissed the Oilers didn't get taken to the cleaners, that's what it's about really.

It's kind of funny.

When Holland was here, fans criticized him for not squeezing Bowman in the Duncan Keith deal.

Then fans criticized Bowman saying that "This wouldn't have happened to Holland".

Now we see Bowman not getting squeezed by Grier. Either way fans won't be able to admit that they were wrong.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Ceci will eventually have some re-trade value for the Sharks, so this move works well for them.

While it appears STL won't be "successful" with at least one of their RFA offer sheets, it did force EDM's hand and complicate their lineup and cap space. For that reason alone I wish more GM's would do this as a way of making sure their rivals don't get good value on RFAs that have been left lingering this long.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

Expecting a 1st round pick to dump a 3.25 million cap player with one year when the player is a tually worth at least 2.5 million is ridiculous. Itd be dumb for a team to dump a first for such a small cap dump. Isnt gonna happen. I dont think it was a good trade for sharks to give up emberson as well but expecting more than a 3rd round pick was never gonna happen. His contract wasnt that bad. I know walman cost a 2nd over 2 years but everyone was in unanimous agreement that that was a horrible cap dump trade by yzerman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad