Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That’s why Armstrong signed Suter and Joseph. Adding Broberg has very little to do with this season and everything to do with 2-4 seasons from now.
Two bottom pairing dmen (I might be being generous in Suter's case not even sure he's that anymore) are supposed to be the answer to cover for Krug on a team that already lacks a lot on their blue line?

I think both Edmonton and the Blues hopes for this season is that Broberg is ready to play top 4 minutes like he showed flashes of in the playoffs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
People point to Edmonton's low leverage (no cap, a deadline approaching), but the Sharks didn't have much leverage. They either get Ceci (who they want) and a 3rd-round pick, or they get nothing. What else are they going to do with that cap space?
If Grier insisted on more, maybe Chicago or some other similar team jumps in and makes the deal. Like you say, leverage goes both ways

Also one deal often leads to more. Grier might be trying to build a relationship with an eye on a bigger deal later.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Incredible that we were two goals away from a Stanley Cup with so many liabilities on this team, isn't it?
Flukes happen all the time.

slash wanted Edmonton to get bent over a barrel trying to solve the cap crunch and it didn't happen so salty bitches are salting
At this moment in time Ceci is a better defender than Broberg. Cheaper too.

This might change in the future, but considering Bouchard, McDavid and Draisaitl are all do for significant raises very soon, it sure doesn't help Edmonton's contention window this year or next, most likely.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

This might change in the future, but considering Bouchard, McDavid and Draisaitl are all do for significant raises very soon, it sure doesn't help Edmonton's contention window this year or next, most likely.
The thing with young players is talking in absolutes like this is often wrong. Much can change in even just months as a player develops at this age, especially once they have now actually gotten their feet wet.

Broberg has elements of his game that are already much better than Ceci's. He's a much better skater and puck retriever. His breakouts are so much better. It's hard to compare the two overall because we don't have a full season of Broberg to compare to. Its not an unlikely scenario where Broberg is a considerably better dman this season.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Good deal for Edmonton. Decent for SJ, assuming they can trade Ceci as a rental later for a good return. Isn't Emberson a pretty good player?
SJ cant retain his salary. They used all 3 iirc for this year.

That hurts his deadline trade value having to use a 3rd team to retain

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

One does not make it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals by fluke. What an idiotic statement lol. No sane person on this board should ever take you seriously moving forward. You have cemented yourself as having one of the dumbest statements of all time.

excitedfriends-rachel.gif

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
One does not make it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals by fluke. What an idiotic statement lol. No sane person on this board should ever take you seriously moving forward. You have cemented yourself as having one of the dumbest statements of all time.

excitedfriends-rachel.gif
The Montreal Canadiens made game five of the 2021 SCF, they're a contender that has nothing but 5-7 years of contention, right?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
The thing with young players is talking in absolutes like this is often wrong. Much can change in even just months as a player develops at this age, especially once they have now actually gotten their feet wet.

Broberg has elements of his game that are already much better than Ceci's. He's a much better skater and puck retriever. His breakouts are so much better. It's hard to compare the two overall because we don't have a full season of Broberg to compare to. Its not an unlikely scenario where Broberg is a considerably better dman this season.
Broberg has played 81 games, the equivalent of a full season.

I haven't spoken in absolutes. I said Broberg may become the better player eventually. I merely pointed out that isn't the case as of right now.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
the Oilers have won the most playoff series in the past 3 years in the Western Conference...that ain't no fluke
I'm talking about making the SCF not just the playoffs.

The St. Louis Blues made the playoffs for something like 25 straight seasons at one point from the late 70s to the early aughts. They never once made a Finals. Were they contenders?

Try again.

Last edited:

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
$3.5M in real pay and $3.25 cap hit.

Near deadline that is about $1M owed in real dollars. Having someone retain can cost a 3rd to do that.
It's under a million, between 825k and 875k depending on the day of the trade.

It's not a huge amount where people worry about retention. You routinely see folks go for small potatoes depth contracts like this with no retention unless the asking team is in cap hell and there is an additional year.

I'm willing to bet the sharks get another 3rd rounder for this guy without the worry of another team retaining

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

I haven't spoken in absolutes. I said Broberg may become the better player eventually. I merely pointed out that isn't the case as of right now.
Over three years.

That isn't the equivalent of a "full season".

This is extremely simple stuff.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Over three years.

That isn't the equivalent of a "full season".

This is extremely simple stuff.
No kidding.

But we're going down a bunch of tangents that have nothing to do with my point.

Is Broberg a better defenseman than Ceci as of right now? Yes or no.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
*team wins stanley cup

“I kNoW a ThInG aBoUt BaD gMs!!”

Ah yes, the always accurate HF board message board value chart trumping the real
World.
Yeah because Florida has a great history of good GMs. Don’t be so emotional. Some teams have bad GMs. The sharks are one of them.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

But that is up for debate on their most recent sample of games. Broberg outperformed him in the WCF and SCF. We'll see what this season has in store. I've pointed out various areas that Broberg excels in and laps Ceci by a mile in (puck retrieval, skating, and puck moving).

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
Well Broberg and Holloway no longer on the nhl.com Oilers roster...think that means something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad