Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You clearly don’t. If Broberg wanted to sign with only the Oilers he wouldn’t have signed this. He could have accepted the much cheaper contract they were offering. And I’m sure he assumed there was more than a decent chance that Edmonton wouldn’t match the OS. Keep doing mental gymnastics though.
or he could've held out until they traded his rights

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think there's also some difficulty with nailing down Cody Ceci's value.

Some of the bigger, louder mouths on the trade board insisted up and down that it would cost the Oilers a first or a first plus to move Ceci, but the reality is he's a decent 4/5, prime aged, with a decent short-term contract that played a lot of minutes for a good team in a position where there's always demand. He's a shoe-in to play top 4 minutes for the Sharks, and whether or not it's a tank season, someone has to play those minutes.

I don't think the Sharks did poorly here. I do think that the Oilers did significantly better than many expected, and that irritates many of the aforementioned loudmouths.
I think this is it. The loudest ones here are only looking at it from the perspective of what Ceci brought to the oilers and not from what Ceci brings to the sharks. He fills a different kind of role. I wouldn’t want him on my top 4 if I was an immediate contender but I’d take him in a heartbeat there if my team was rebuilding with a ton of young franchise talents up front.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
And I'm sorry but your ufa signings were not some God damn revelations. 3 million for a guy just bought out for a ton is average at best, 4 million for an oft injured Ardvidson is meh and Henrique is again Meh and certainly doesn't makeup for what might be the worst defense of any playoff hopeful.
Seriously, you have one above average defender in Ekholm and a bunch of liabilities
Canucks fan tries to downplay every move the Oilers made this offseason. Big shocker. :naughty:

Guess we need a super GM to show the team how to sign 7th defencemen like Vinne Desharnais to $2 million contracts. :laugh:

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I think that would certainly be unprecedented, if an offer sheet turned into another trade with the two teams involved, just to ensure that the OS isn't matched. It would be interesting though. I can't imagine what the Oilers would ask for, or if the Blues would feel the ask is worthwhile. It certainly wouldn't be a large trade, in my opinion. The biggest issue, is that both teams need young defensemen
Yes it wouldn't be a major trade per se, given the cap room or lack of it. But, if the Blues really wants to add him and Oilers thinking okay this cap is too high for what he provides the next couple of years, could they add some depth if they agree to not match him.

At least it would be smart to check that option out if they consider Broberg being to pricey.
I suspect there’s likely some last minute negotiating going on between the Blues and Oilers.
Most likely option is for them to match with the trade that has been done, but maybe they look into cost vs. risk. Obviously they can gamble on Broberg's play in PO not being a fluke and match, he would still be overpaid, but can grow into the role and cap hit. Or they can think, do we want to risk having the money locked up and if he underperforms not only is the cap tied up, his trade value isn't anything special either.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You clearly don’t. If Broberg wanted to sign with only the Oilers he wouldn’t have signed this. He could have accepted the much cheaper contract they were offering. And I’m sure he assumed there was more than a decent chance that Edmonton wouldn’t match the OS. Keep doing mental gymnastics though.
Keep going, you’ve almost talked yourself there.

Why is the os thread locked? Oilers have till tomorrow morning to match?

No idea. Really weird.

All locked threads should mention who closed it and why.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And I'm sorry but your ufa signings were not some God damn revelations. 3 million for a guy just bought out for a ton is average at best, 4 million for an oft injured Ardvidson is meh and Henrique is again Meh and certainly doesn't makeup for what might be the worst defense of any playoff hopeful.
Seriously, you have one above average defender in Ekholm and a bunch of liabilities
What are you talking about?

1) Skinner wasn't bought out because he is a bad player, he was bought out because he was signed to a ridiculous contract and can't produce to that level. We signed him for less than half of his buyout amount.
2) Arvidsson has had some injury issues, but he is really good when healthy. To suggest it was a bad signing is ridiculous.
3) Henrique proved his value in the playoffs - he's going to be among the best 3C's in the NHL this year most likely.
4) The worst defense of any playoff hopeful? We have 4 of the 6 back that we had last year, and last year, our defense was really good all year, and only one pair gave us issues in the playoffs - the pair we just sent half of out the door, for the record.
5) Our only above average defender is Ekholm? Are you talking only about defensemen, or shut down ability, because Bouchard just had an elite season from the blueline beside Ekholm, and our bottom pair last year was great because it is anchored by one of the best #5 defensemen in the league (Kulak). Losing Ceci won't hurt us, there was a lot of instability on his pair with Nurse, and losing Desharnais isn't a huge issue either, as we added 3 RD who are just as good as him to battle for the #6 spot.

For only having "one above average defender and a bunch of liabilities", we sure had a remarkably low number of goals against last year.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
All of your points ring hollow when you can't even count to two.

edmonton-oilers-evan-bouchard.gif

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Why was the offer sheets thread closed? Also, any reason Oilers havnt matched since they opened up cap space?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What are you talking about?

1) Skinner wasn't bought out because he is a bad player, he was bought out because he was signed to a ridiculous contract and can't produce to that level. We signed him for less than half of his buyout amount.
2) Arvidsson has had some injury issues, but he is really good when healthy. To suggest it was a bad signing is ridiculous.
3) Henrique proved his value in the playoffs - he's going to be among the best 3C's in the NHL this year most likely.
4) The worst defense of any playoff hopeful? We have 4 of the 6 back that we had last year, and last year, our defense was really good all year, and only one pair gave us issues in the playoffs - the pair we just sent half of out the door, for the record.
5) Our only above average defender is Ekholm? Are you talking only about defensemen, or shut down ability, because Bouchard just had an elite season from the blueline beside Ekholm, and our bottom pair last year was great because it is anchored by one of the best #5 defensemen in the league (Kulak). Losing Ceci won't hurt us, there was a lot of instability on his pair with Nurse, and losing Desharnais isn't a huge issue either, as we added 3 RD who are just as good as him to battle for the #6 spot.

For only having "one above average defender and a bunch of liabilities", we sure had a remarkably low number of goals against last year.
Incredible that we were two goals away from a Stanley Cup with so many liabilities on this team, isn't it?

Ekholm, Bouchard, and Kulak are significantly above average in their roles. Nurse is up and down. Broberg is young and figuring it out. Ceci kept his head above water.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Since the main thread is locked, I’ll continue it here.

Where is the misconception that the Blues are sweating this out coming from?

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
“If Broberg wanted to sign with the Oilers, he would have for an AAV in the $1.0 millions as opposed to signing with the Blues in the $4.0 millions” does not support your argument the way you think it does. :laugh:

Reactions: Suntouchable13

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Since the main thread is locked, I’ll continue it here.

Where is the misconception that the Blues are sweating this out coming from?
I don't know if "sweating" is the right word but clearly they were desperate enough for a LD that they'd throw 9 million bucks and a 2nd rounder at a guy with 80 games played.

I think Holloway was the add-on and Broberg was the main target

Reactions: PuckG

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
I don't know if "sweating" is the right word but clearly they were desperate enough for a LD that they'd throw 9 million bucks and a 2nd rounder at a guy with 80 games played.

I think Holloway was the add-on and Broberg was the main target
Given their position, it wouldn’t even qualify as a desperate move. The price for Broberg isn’t out of desperation, it’s the price they decided it would make the decision harder for Edmonton. Now if they went into the next tier of compensation, then you could probably call it desperate.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Pretty much. Make them wait until the last moment so they have less time to pivot before camp opens if Edmonton matches. Basically a "f*** you" in response.
There’s really nothing to pivot to. The Blues have excess d-men on the left side as is. This was a longer term play. Their roster is already set aside from potentially adding the 2 Oilers.

Reactions: mab894

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There’s really nothing to pivot to. The Blues have excess d-men on the left side as is. This was a longer term play. Their roster is already set aside from potentially adding the 2 Oilers.
I mean I think they wanted to add to their left side for this season given the uncertainty around Krug and if he'll even play this season. Their left side without him and without Broberg is looking pretty abysmal.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I mean I think they wanted to add to their left side for this season given the uncertainty around Krug and if he'll even play this season. Their left side without him and without Broberg is looking pretty abysmal.
That’s why Armstrong signed Suter and Joseph. Adding Broberg has very little to do with this season and everything to do with 2-4 seasons from now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's the tough part with this. St. Louis' left side without Broberg or Krug looks awful. Edmonton's right side without Broberg and Ceci also looks awful. St. Louis isn't under the gun to win the Cup anytime soon but they need to be competitive, while Edmonton's window is wide open.

My gut says Edmonton matches Broberg and lets Holloway walk, which I don't necessarily think is smart, but tracking down a 2RD in September ain't easy.

Reactions: tfriede2 and PuckG

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Oiler fans seem to think they have the cap room issue

Dude you come across as such a jaded guy right now. Regardless of what happens your team just got weaker thanks to dumb management.

If you match both guys you are six million over the cap but that can be wittled down to about 3.5 million.
Kane will not miss the entire season and no GM is stupid enough to use LTIR in the way the oilers fans are suggesting because once he comes back everything is fuc*ed.
So unless another trade over 3.5 million happens, or 2.5 million if you let hollow walk and replace with Podz, matching Broberg would be incredibley risky.

So assuming they don't match Broberg

Nurse - Stecher
Ekholm- Bouchard
Kulak - Emberson
Brown
That's a joke of a Dcorp that will get destroyed. I legit feel bad for Skinner.

Even if they do match Broberg, he's getting hyped after 10 playoff games where he was fresh and put up 3 points in ten games. I'd bet that he gets clobbered trying to handle Ceci's 37% offensive zone starts .

Glad to see Canuck fans haven't moved on from the playoff loss yet.

Reactions: PuckG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad