Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
No kidding.

But we're going down a bunch of tangents that have nothing to do with my point.

Is Broberg a better defenseman than Ceci as of right now? Yes or no.
Its clearly no.

Broberg has to show he is better than Ceci. He hasn’t done that in the past. There’s little reason to think he will this year as well. He hasn’t shown he’s able to play 20 mins a night for a full season, let alone be better than Ceci at it. The blues took away to chance for the Oilers to see if Broberg could replace Ceci with the offersheet, so you pass on Broberg.

I’m 100% Ceci over Broberg and will be until it’s proven otherwise. it’s a massive gamble the Oilers are taking and even it pans out still need to replace Broberg who replaced Ceci. At this point in the Oilers curve you take proven players over promise.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Please explain why he's one of the bad GMs.
Because everything he has done has been mediocre to garbage. Hertl’s retention was one of the dumbest things ever I’ve seen. He drafted Celebrini wow! That’s his only good move. Why don’t you tell me why he’s even considered “medicore” which would be a best case scenario.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
But that is up for debate on their most recent sample of games. Broberg outperformed him in the WCF and SCF. We'll see what this season has in store. I've pointed out various areas that Broberg excels in and laps Ceci by a mile in (puck retrieval, skating, and puck moving).
It really isn't. As of today Ceci is the far better player. And cheaper.

I'm not interested in recency bias.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
But that is up for debate on their most recent sample of games. Broberg outperformed him in the WCF and SCF. We'll see what this season has in store. I've pointed out various areas that Broberg excels in and laps Ceci by a mile in (puck retrieval, skating, and puck moving).
He absouletly did not. Look up the fancy stats. Broberg was last of the Oilers D.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Because everything he has done has been mediocre to garbage. Hertl’s retention was one of the dumbest things ever I’ve seen. He drafted Celebrini wow! That’s his only good move. Why don’t you tell me why he’s even considered “medicore” which would be a best case scenario.
I could name a bunch of moves that worked but, tbh, would it even matter?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It really isn't
What isn't up for debate is that Broberg outplayed Ceci in the playoff games they both played. What is up for debate is who will be better this season.

He absouletly did not. Look up the fancy stats. Broberg was last of the Oilers D.
"Fancy stats" show next to nothing in a sample that small. Especially when Broberg was playing with Nurse who was getting caved on "fancy stats" all playoffs.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

It might be recency bias if I had ever supported the notion that Ceci was a valuable defender on a 2nd pairing. I've never supported that opinion and wanted him traded and upgraded on at the deadline.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
"Fancy stats" show next to nothing in a sample that small. Especially when Broberg was playing with Nurse who was getting caved on "fancy stats" all playoffs.
If it's too small a sample to use the "fancy stats" then it's too small a sample to draw conclusions about Broberg's play period. Using any method.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
What isn't up for debate is that Broberg outplayed Ceci in the playoff games they both played. What is up for debate is who will be better this season.

You cant prove anything based on 10 games, you can’t prove Broberg is better than Ceci based on 10 games either. But you can look at Ceci’s whole year and say yes, he’s better than what Broberg brought year. This could be different next year, or in 2 years, but that doesn’t matter, the Oilers need the better D man today.

So your saying you can’t prove that broberg was worse than Ceci on a 10 sample size, but that same 10 game sample size is enough to say that Broberg is better than Ceci?

It might be recency bias if I had ever supported the notion that Ceci was a valuable defender on a 2nd pairing. I've never supported that opinion and wanted him traded and upgraded on at the deadline.
Yeah, and now we can’t upgrade Ceci because we sidegraded to keep a massive question mark in broberg.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Cool, he's still better than Broberg overall going into the season. That's the point.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If it's too small a sample to use the "fancy stats" then it's too small a sample to draw conclusions about Broberg's play period. Using any method.
I already stated we don't know what the season will hold. I said there's at least some viewings to suggest Broberg could be the better player this year as he was in that sample and got much better results.

Have never said he will be better, but its not out of the realm of possibility.

You cant prove anything based on 10 games, you can’t prove Broberg is better than Ceci based on 10 games either. But you can look at Ceci’s whole year and say yes, he’s better than what Broberg brought year. This could be different next year, or in 2 years, but that doesn’t matter, the Oilers need the better D man today.

So your saying you can’t prove that broberg was worse than Ceci on a 10 sample size, but that same 10 game sample size is enough to say that Broberg is better than Ceci?

Yeah, and now we can’t upgrade Ceci because we sidegraded to keep a massive question mark in broberg.
The Oilers don't need the better D man today. They need the better D in 7 months when the playoffs start. A lot of development can happen in that time, and Broberg hasn't even been signed yet.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If Broberg isn't matched I have a feeling Edmonton has a deal set up for a RHD on a cheaper contract that will use the Blues 2nd rounder.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Cool, he's still better than Broberg overall going into the season. That's the point.
I don't really care about that. I care about what he would look like in 7 months in the playoffs if they even decide to match the offer. You keep pointing back to the start of the season when I've clearly outlined my point that development can happen quick once a young player has arrived in the NHL.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Flukes happen all the time.

At this moment in time Ceci is a better defender than Broberg. Cheaper too.

This might change in the future, but considering Bouchard, McDavid and Draisaitl are all do for significant raises very soon, it sure doesn't help Edmonton's contention window this year or next, most likely.
Nobody makes the Cup finals by accident. Edmonton has been building to this. Third round exit to the Cup champs in Colorado, second round exit to the Cup champs in Vegas that said Edmonton was the toughest test they faced, now a loss in the Cup finals.

To hear most of this board tell it Ceci was a make a wish child that found his way into the lineup by accident so it's cute to try to paint him as some loss now.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Some teams have bad GMs. The sharks are one of them.
I think they had pretty good GM in the past, and Grier is doing decent so far. Not great, not all the trades he has done has given full value coming their way, but its been hacking and whacking at making the team more set up for the future. Also put together a decent looking d-core that can handle themselves during teams transition and get some assets for them here and there if they play well. Obviously Sharks are thinking long term here.

I do think they been a little unfortunate with some trades their way in terms of the value of taking them or leverage haven't really been there to a very strong degree.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
I don't really care about that. I care about what he would look like in 7 months in the playoffs if they even decide to match the offer. You keep pointing back to the start of the season when I've clearly outlined my point that development can happen quick once a young player has arrived in the NHL.
I know development can happen at intervals outside a straight-line.

The point is the Oilers are now worse defensively than they were at the end of last season. And more expensive.

For this gamble to work out Broberg needs to be as good or better than Ceci at the end of the year. We'll see if he's capable of that. There are no guarantees of anything.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’m one of the biggest Ceci detractors in Oilers nation. And even I wasn’t dumb enough to think it’d cost a 1st to dump him. Had his value pegged around a 5th round pick or just future considerations all year. What’s Emberson worth in vacuum? He was the AHLs best defensive defenceman and analytically showed well in the NHL in a small sample. Plus he’s cost controlled. Doms model had him valued at 5M based on his play quality last year. I’d say he’s probably worth a 3rd to 5th round pick, which pegs Ceci’s value exactly where I had it.

Ceci has his warts but he’s still a viable top 4 RHD in this League paid only 3.25M. You don’t play 20 minutes in a Game 7 Stanley cup run if he’s a defenceman that would cost a 1st to dump.

Reactions: Dakine

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

He’s not “far better”. Ceci is more experienced and will be the safer bet, but provides nearly nothing past just being safe and serviceable. Broberg has much much higher potential, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s better than Ceci as soon as mid season.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
People point to Edmonton's low leverage (no cap, a deadline approaching), but the Sharks didn't have much leverage. They either get Ceci (who they want) and a 3rd-round pick, or they get nothing. What else are they going to do with that cap space?
People point to Edmonton's low leverage (no cap, a deadline approaching), but the Sharks didn't have much leverage. They either get Ceci (who they want) and a 3rd-round pick, or they get nothing. What else are they going to do with that cap space?
Truth, the Sharks helped themselves out here by getting value out of Emberson. And also potentially more value out of a Ceci flip at the deadline. Trades are ALWAYS made to help BOTH teams, this is how every trade in the history of the NHL went down on some level. So anyone saying “why would the Blues help the Oilers cap” are f***in morons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad