Who is your favorite Enforcer of all-time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Colton Orr. The man could and would scrap anyone on any team. Heart and soul player too.

Hate how the game change forced him out of the league. Had he been born 10 years earlier he would be talked about in the same class as Probert

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Colton Orr. The man could and would scrap anyone on any team. Heart and soul player too.

Hate how the game change forced him out of the league. Had he been born 10 years earlier he would be talked about in the same class as Probert
You realize Probert had the ability to chip in offensively too right?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
CwYYrjxUsAAevva.jpg

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
After much debate I'm going with my first favorite player and King, Jay Wells. Yes, he does qualify, and the man could throw.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

Too funny. Orr was a scrub

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Rick Rypien, had such cool technique. Would scrap anyone win or lose. Had a heart of a lion.

Gino Odjick was such a character. He didn't always win, but he would fight anyone. Gino, Gino, Gino...

Reactions: Killer Orcas

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Probert was the gold standard. I don't know if I had a favourite, but he was the guy the other enforcers measured themselves against, and he was a pretty useful hockey player away from the enforcing duties as well.

Very unique player.

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
I miss all of the enforcers of course, but what I miss more is the gritty power forwards who would have like 10 fights per year while still producing and playing significant minutes. The league used to be full of these types, and their fights were often more passionate and entertaining than the pitched battles between goons. Guys like Shanahan, Tkachuk, Mellanby, Lindros, Iginla, Wendel Clark, etc. They have gone extinct along with the pure goons and enforcers unfortunately. Pretty much the only players who fight with any regularity these days are the 4th liners and bottom pairing defensemen.

Last edited:

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Rick Rypien, had such cool technique. Would scrap anyone win or lose. Had a heart of a lion.

Gino Odjick was such a character. He didn't always win, but he would fight anyone. Gino, Gino, Gino...
This sums it up for me as well. It's a shame Rypien had issues with mental health that eventually ended his life.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Detroit Red Wings pp...

:dunce:

On a more serious note it's nice to see guys having a solid career after their playing days are done...For instance Ken Baumgartner went on to Harvard, and earned his MBA.

Story Details - Alumni - Harvard Business School

I remember cringing when the media would say the pp was Detroit enforcer. Or that the refs need to protect them more bs. Who cares if you lose by two goals or more?

Reactions: FMichael

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

No he wouldnt lol. If Orr had been born ten years earlier there would have been way more of the actual super heavyweights that played in the 80s and 90s. Guys like Deryk Engalland arent knocking out Probert out ever. Orr liked to swing with guys but took as many KOs as he gave and did it in a league with less tough guys.

Kocur knocked out more guys than Orr ever did, did it in a tougher league and still is talked about in that second tier of heavyweights after Probert. Orr would've been just another tough guy who would win his fair share but nothing special in that era

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I remember cringing when the media would say the pp was Detroit enforcer. Or that the refs need to protect them more bs. Who cares if you lose by two goals or more?
Yeah - since becoming a fan in '84 I fondly recall some pretty tough Wings teams...Today they're soft as marshmallows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad