Who is more dominant in their sport: Ohtani, McDavid or Mahomes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is more dominant in their sport?

• Total voters

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Except Boston still wanted Ruth to pitch but he ultimately decided that he wants to play every day as he noticed it was the HRs that brought in the money and the fans so threw a fit and quit pitching.

Judge has only had one, his last season, which stood out and even then it’s ruined by cheating speculations and controversy . He isn’t even close to being the best in baseball.
Boston kept Ruth on the mound but moved him due to the offensive need and the crowds. Ruth wanted to move because that's where the money was, not because he couldn't handle the workload. I am skeptical that Ruth would have remained a star pitcher, though - his strikeout rates were really low.

Judge's rookie season stood out too. You're missing my point, though - Ruth today would be a tremendous star, putting up those kinds of numbers. He wouldn't be pitching, though, and that's ok.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
No mention at all of Ohtani having never made the playoffs? Ohtani is great, but with that much dominance and impact on his team, they should be at least making the playoffs year in and year out.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Mcdavid would have to play goalie at a vezina level for 20 games and lead the league in scoring with the other 62 gp to match Ohtani

Reactions: ru4reals
Oct 18, 2011
You can't compare Ohtani to the other 2. It would be like McDavid being the best offensive player in the league and then playing goalie every couple of games and being a top 10 goalie

The closest comparable to Ohtani I can think of is Giannis

No mention at all of Ohtani having never made the playoffs? Ohtani is great, but with that much dominance and impact on his team, they should be at least making the playoffs year in and year out.
Thats not how baseball works

Reactions: ru4reals

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Mcdavid would have to play goalie at a vezina level for 20 games and lead the league in scoring with the other 62 gp to match Ohtani
Since that's impossible I'd say he'd be like Ohtani if in addition to his insane offense he was also a selke winner.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
The results here are pretty scary. This should have been a poll that was closed due to a lopsided result. The answer is the player with the ability to win a Cy young and triple crown in the same season.

Ohtani

McDavid

Mahomes

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Could you imagine the reaction if the NHL was found to be using "juiced" pucks just for games that McDavid is playing in like the MLB did with Judge's totally legit home run record?
I see we're still shilling this myth.

1) Ball variance is common.

2) Juiced balls were not found in use at Yankees games. Goldilocks balls were. You've read Goldilocks, right? They're between juiced balls and dead balls.

3) The study found 11 Goldilocks balls in use at Yankees home games. That the study found 88 juiced balls is completely ignored because it's not clickbait.

But the ball, as they say, don't lie: Roughly a quarter of the 88 juiced balls that Wills has obtained over the last two seasons were manufactured in 2021, according to the batch codes.

4) The manufacturing change occurred in May as the chart below indicates, leading me to believe the balls from Yankee Stadium are heavily cherry-picked.

5) As the chart also indicates, balls in 2022 were still deader than the balls used in previous years.

• Haha
Reactions: bambamcam4ever

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Are you perhaps confusing baseball with Tennis or Golf?

It's never been easier to make the playoffs in baseball with the expanded wild card. It's no longer up on that pedestal of incredibly difficult to make playoffs. It just surprised me that not one person mentioned it, when the other two seem to be held to a higher standard of championship or bust.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Ohtani but its not a fair comparison, I'm sure McDavid would make an elite defenseman as well, but it's not like baseball where the game is split and you actually CAN play both defense and offense in a massive way.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

What a terrible take. Baseball is different from football and hockey, 1 guy just cant have the same impact.

Ohtani is having the best single season in baseball history right now. Sub 3 ERA, over .300 BA, 1st in homeruns.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Its othani, its like hes doing what MacKinnon is doing offensively, while also able to play goalie like a sorokin.... In the same game sometimes too

Reactions: Summer Rose

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Ohtani. Unless McDavid starts playing All Star level goaltending every 5 games or Mahomes becomes an All Star kicker or defensive player then there’s no argument here

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Dustin Byfuglien and Brent Burns could play both forward and defense at a top line/top pair level but they weren’t wasn't as good at both as Ohtani is.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
We talk about once in a generation level talents...we need a new term for a player like Ohtani. He's like a once in a century level talent. Over the next 4-5 years he's got a legit chance to win an MVP and a Cy Young in the same season.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
It's never been easier to make the playoffs in baseball with the expanded wild card. It's no longer up on that pedestal of incredibly difficult to make playoffs. It just surprised me that not one person mentioned it, when the other two seem to be held to a higher standard of championship or bust.

Ohtani can pitch a perfect game every single time he takes the mound and his team can still miss the playoffs because of him standing there every fifth game. Not one person menitoned it because it doesn't matter when he's doing what he's doing.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Ohtani but its not a fair comparison, I'm sure McDavid would make an elite defenseman as well, but it's not like baseball where the game is split and you actually CAN play both defense and offense in a massive way.

This wouldn’t be comparing McDavid to playing Center and Defense. This would be McDavid playing center with an MVP offensive season and starting 16 or so games at goalie and being top 5-10 or better in GAA and save percentage.

Even this though it wouldn’t be a fare comparison as a starting pitcher is far more important in their start than any starting goalie in theirs.

Either way this poll should should be a blowout for Ohtani.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
"Very rare" is a huge understatement. In the long history of baseball, nobody has ever done this.

If memory serves me correctly, some guy named George Herman Ruth was a pretty good pitcher in Boston and led the league in ERA a few years before he got sold to the Yankees.

There's also been some changes to the game over the "long history of babeball". Do you think Ohtani could have done this in 1970, before the DH position existed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad