Who is more dominant in their sport: Ohtani, McDavid or Mahomes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is more dominant in their sport?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gotta be Ohtani. If McDavid was also Hasek then him.

I honestly don't follow baseball much anymore, so voted McDavid. But I'm really curious to find out more about Ohtani.

How good is he? Is he both a great pitcher and great hitter, or is he both the best pitcher and the best hitter? Because although the first is impressive, the latter is much, much better.

Is Ohtani the equivalent of Hasek + McDavid? Or is more the equivalent of....let's say ~Barkov + ~Oettinger. So a top ~10 goalie + top ~10 center. If it's closer to the latter, I may still pick McDavid. Being the absolute best in the game, and by a good gap, feels more impressive to me.

PavelDatsyuk

Aug 31, 2008
Edmonton
I honestly don't follow baseball much anymore, so voted McDavid. But I'm really curious to find out more about Ohtani.

How good is he? Is he both a great pitcher and great hitter, or is he both the best pitcher and the best hitter? Because although the first is impressive, the latter is much, much better.

Is Ohtani the equivalent of Hasek + McDavid? Or is more the equivalent of....let's say ~Barkov + ~Oettinger. So a top ~10 goalie + top ~10 center. If it's closer to the latter, I may still pick McDavid. Being the absolute best in the game, and by a good gap, feels more impressive to me.
He is closer to Hasek + McDavid than anything else. He is a contender for Cy Young (Vezina equivalent) and he is the favorite for the AL MVP (Hart). If he was just a DH hitter, he would still be the favorite for the MVP this season.

cmich72234

May 11, 2023

There's always a "best in the game", and often times it's biy a wide margin. There's never been an Ohtani. The closest would be Babe Ruth, but even he didn't do it like Ohtani.

Pitching and hitting are 2 COMPLETELY different skill sets. They might as well be completely different sports.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
There's always a "best in the game", and often times it's biy a wide margin. There's never been an Ohtani. The closest would be Babe Ruth, but even he didn't do it like Ohtani.

Pitching and hitting are 2 COMPLETELY different skill sets. They might as well be completely different sports.

I get how insanely impressive that is. I agree, two completely different skillsets. I'm just curious, is he the clear best in both skillset, or just very good in both (so top ~10-15).

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
McDavid is more dominant offensively. Bigger separation from his peers and the impact he has on the entire team offensively is obviously greater because baseball is more of an individual sport. But when you consider the entire package that Ohtani brings.. it's him. The guy is an absolute freak of nature.

Reactions: McFlash97

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I was one

Mahomes is the winner of the three. The lead dog in three SB trips with 2 titles.
I love Mahomes but come on. Otani plays both sides of the game and absolutely dominates. Mahomes isn't even the clear cut top QB in the NFL right now. Hurts and Allen are both just as good and arguably better because they're elite rushers too.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I love Mahomes but come on. Otani plays both sides of the game and absolutely dominates. Mahomes isn't even the clear cut top QB in the NFL right now. Hurts and Allen are both just as good and arguably better because they're elite rushers too.
I can understand an argument for any of these guys. McDavid, Mahomes, and Ohtani.

The bolded is just crazy. I'm sorry. 31 GM's would trade their starting QB for Mahomes.

Reactions: Peat and The Note

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He is closer to Hasek + McDavid than anything else. He is a contender for Cy Young (Vezina equivalent) and he is the favorite for the AL MVP (Hart). If he was just a DH hitter, he would still be the favorite for the MVP this season.

Is he? It is very impressive that he's able to both pitch and hit at a relatively high level, but he hasn't led the league in any meaningful statistic over a full season, so I'm struggling to say he's anywhere close to McDavid or Hasek, who have both led the NHL in multiple meaningful categories for multiple seasons.

And the Cy Young and MVP in baseball are split up so he's only competing against half the league for those awards.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I get how insanely impressive that is. I agree, two completely different skillsets. I'm just curious, is he the clear best in both skillset, or just very good in both (so top ~10-15).
Top 10, so very good. I wouldn't say he's the clear best hitter

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
most-goals-by-a-premier-league-player-in-a-season-haaland-1024x658.jpg
Any real Football fan knows Haaland scored atleast 30 of those goals with tap-ins because he's playing on the most stacked team in Europe. Man City actually scored LESS overall goals this year than last year because they changed their style to basically just give him easy goals. He's not even the best Football player in the World, let alone best Male athlete in Sports.

PavelDatsyuk

Aug 31, 2008
Edmonton
Is he? It is very impressive that he's able to both pitch and hit at a relatively high level, but he hasn't led the league in any meaningful statistic over a full season, so I'm struggling to say he's anywhere close to McDavid or Hasek, who have both led the NHL in multiple meaningful categories for multiple seasons.

And the Cy Young and MVP in baseball are split up so he's only competing against half the league for those awards.
He is leading the league in OPS, HR, RBIs, batting .300 and OPSing for 1.0+. Yes, Judge is injured or he would probably be right up there in the power categories as well. Ohtani is also not a pure power player. He has and had elite speed as well, though he steals less now than his first season.

That puts Ohtani pretty close to McDavid, though behind McDavid for just an offensive dominance equivalence. Ohtani leads the league but McDavid did things that havent been done in decades.

Ohtani as a pitcher is also leading the league in opposition batting avg (.180), top 3 in strikeouts, top 10 in WHIP and top 15 in ERA. You could make the case that he is a top 5 pitcher, and in any good variance/fluke season he can be the best in the league, which is what can be said about most top goalies.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He is leading the league in OPS, HR, RBIs, batting .300 and OPSing for 1.0+. Yes, Judge is injured or he would probably be right up there in the power categories as well. Ohtani is also not a pure power player. He has and had elite speed as well, though he steals less now than his first season.

That puts Ohtani pretty close to McDavid, though behind McDavid for just an offensive dominance equivalence. Ohtani leads the league but McDavid did things that havent been done in decades.

Ohtani as a pitcher is also leading the league in opposition batting avg (.180), top 3 in strikeouts, top 10 in WHIP and top 15 in ERA. You could make the case that he is a top 5 pitcher, and in any good variance/fluke season he can be the best in the league, which is what can be said about most top goalies.

That's great but leading the league in a couple of categories at the midway point of a season isn't anywhere close to the same level of domination that we've seen from McDavid, who just won his 3rd straight Ross as the league's top scorer (5th Ross overall), while also adding his 4th Pearson, 3rd Hart, and first Richard. Or from Hasek, who won 6 Vezinas in 8 years, along with back to back Harts (in 5 times as a finalist) and 2 Jennings (plus another one in his final season in Detroit). When either one of McDavid or Hasek is playing anywhere close their best, the rest of the league is competing for 2nd place. I don't know how you can say the same with Ohtani.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That's great but leading the league in a couple of categories at the midway point of a season isn't anywhere close to the same level of domination that we've seen from McDavid, who just won his 3rd straight Ross as the league's top scorer (5th Ross overall), while also adding his 4th Pearson, 3rd Hart, and first Richard. Or from Hasek, who won 6 Vezinas in 8 years, along with back to back Harts (in 5 times as a finalist) and 2 Jennings (plus another one in his final season in Detroit). When either one of McDavid or Hasek is playing anywhere close their best, the rest of the league is competing for 2nd place. I don't know how you can say the same with Ohtani.
Besides leading league in batting. Also a number 1 starting pitcher.

Name the others in MLB doing that. No-one.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Besides leading league in batting. Also a number 1 starting pitcher.

Name the others in MLB doing that. No-one.

Versatility =/= dominance. He's a very rare player who can pitch and hit, but the rest of the league still has a good chance to beat him in those respective categories, even when he's at his best. Who is realistically going to outscore McDavid at his best? Or outperform a prime Dominic Hasek in net?

Reactions: Cas

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
What Ohtani has been doing these past few seasons has been unreal. If not for him, I doubt I would I still keep an eye on baseball at this point in my life.

A top 5 talent in both hitting and pitching. Unbelievable. He won 15 games last year for a team that only won 73 overall. He had 4 no-decisions and 2 losses in 6 starts where he pitched at least 5 innings and let up 2 or less runs.

He's already won an MVP and finished runner up in another. He could hit 50 HRs and drive in 110-120 runs while winning 15 games again this season.

He's the pick for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad