Who is more dominant in their sport: Ohtani, McDavid or Mahomes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is more dominant in their sport?

• Total voters

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I honestly don't follow baseball much anymore, so voted McDavid. But I'm really curious to find out more about Ohtani.

How good is he? Is he both a great pitcher and great hitter, or is he both the best pitcher and the best hitter? Because although the first is impressive, the latter is much, much better.

Is Ohtani the equivalent of Hasek + McDavid? Or is more the equivalent of....let's say ~Barkov + ~Oettinger. So a top ~10 goalie + top ~10 center. If it's closer to the latter, I may still pick McDavid. Being the absolute best in the game, and by a good gap, feels more impressive to me.
Ohtani is the best hitter in baseball this year, and is on pace to have one of the top 125-175 hitting seasons of all time, which is incredible but hardly unprecedented. He is also a very good pitcher who will compete to be among the best.

Combined, he's been extremely valuable the last two years, and this year is pacing to have one of the five most valuable seasons since integration. I think a hockey comparison would be if Shesterkin also put up 100 points.

As noted, though - the versatility does not actually add value. Ohtani's combined contribution has been tremendous, but each is discrete and doing both doesn't make him any more valuable than two players matching his pitching and hitting contributions otherwise would be.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Mahomes. QB has by far the biggest impact on winning and losing over the other 2. Ohtani is a phenom, but when he isn't pitching plays a position where having a high-end bat is expected and he only takes the mound once every 5 games. Mahomes has made the super bowl 3 times, won twice, and has lost in the AFC Championship game 2 other times in the past 5 years. If Ohtani could pitch at the level he does, and start every game, it'd be a different question. On days he takes the mound and hits he is likely the most dominant of the three, but it only happens for about 20% of his teams games.

Reactions: Sorry

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Othani, then McDavid and finally Mahomes.

Mahomes and McDavid probably are closer to each, than Ohtani and McDavid are to each. Mahomes isn’t generational, he’s just a really ,damn good QB but he isn’t unique. I dont think he’s even the most dominant at that position in the past 10 years. TB12 still has that spot.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Mahomes isn’t that far statistically above his peers. He has a few Super Bowl wins, but it’s a team accomplishment and he has the benefit of having an amazing coach and offensive scheme.

McDavid is far above his peers statistically

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
It is true. There's separate Cy Young and MVP awards for each half of the league (AL vs NL).
Oh that's what you meant. That's true (though I think they should abandon that now that the existence of the AL and NL is meaningless).

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
McDavid is 3rd and its largely because of the smaller impact he has on his team.

Ohtani is doing something that most thought was unthinkable, as good as McDavid is he isn't doing something that was completely thought to be impossible. Mahomes is able to have a bigger impact on his team and is already a multi time champ while also being a multi time MVP. McDavid might have him in the regular season, but you can't ignore the titles , and 3 SB appearances.

Jokic could probably even in this poll, he was just robbed of a 3rd straight MVP and completely dominated the playoffs (first player to ever lead the playoffs in pts, reb, and ast) on route to a title.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
McDavid is 3rd and its largely because of the smaller impact he has on his team.

Ohtani is doing something that most thought was unthinkable, as good as McDavid is he isn't doing something that was completely thought to be impossible. Mahomes is able to have a bigger impact on his team and is already a multi time champ while also being a multi time MVP. McDavid might have him in the regular season, but you can't ignore the titles , and 2 SB appearances.

Jokic could probably even in this poll, he was just robbed of a 3rd straight MVP and completely dominated the playoffs (first player to ever lead the playoffs in pts, reb, and ast) on route to a title.
All said and done, McDavid likely is closer to the 10th most dominant male athlete currently

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
All said and done, McDavid likely is closer to the 10th most dominant male athlete currently
yeah Djokovic is easily better too, Verstappen if we count F1 (motorsports sometimes get classified in a different category)

I don't think there is a current Soccer/football player who dominates their peers like McDavid , though. Nor is there a golfer. There might be some other sports I don't really pay that much attention to (Rugby, Cricket, etc) where someone is. McDavid is pretty damn dominant though, especially compared to his peers - he is undoubtedly the best player by a large margin.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
It's worth noting that, in terms of value, a player doesn't have to combine two highly disparate roles to match what Ohtani is doing.

In hockey terms, McDavid approaching an era-adjusted 200 points, or Makar surpassing 120 points with high-quality defensive impact would be vaguely equivalent to Ohtani. Basically matching peak Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr levels of on-ice impact.

Interestingly, though, the seasons Ohnati is trying to match weren't put up by the real legendary superstars like Mays, Mantle, Bonds, Clemens, or Johnson - they were by Carl Yastrzemski, Steve Carlton, and Dwight Gooden (who isn't even in the Hall of Fame and doesn't have much of a case to argue that he was snubbed). Two superstars, but not the absolute top of the tier ones, and a flash in the pan.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I honestly don't follow baseball much anymore, so voted McDavid. But I'm really curious to find out more about Ohtani.

How good is he? Is he both a great pitcher and great hitter, or is he both the best pitcher and the best hitter? Because although the first is impressive, the latter is much, much better.

Is Ohtani the equivalent of Hasek + McDavid? Or is more the equivalent of....let's say ~Barkov + ~Oettinger. So a top ~10 goalie + top ~10 center. If it's closer to the latter, I may still pick McDavid. Being the absolute best in the game, and by a good gap, feels more impressive to me.
Ohtani is the best baseball player of all time.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Ohtani is the best baseball player of all time.
I understand it has been 100 years since a player was this good of a pitcher and hitter, but Babe Ruth existed. Was a top 5 pitcher and well we all know about his hitting.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Any real Football fan knows Haaland scored atleast 30 of those goals with tap-ins because he's playing on the most stacked team in Europe. Man City actually scored LESS overall goals this year than last year because they changed their style to basically just give him easy goals. He's not even the best Football player in the World, let alone best Male athlete in Sports.

Huh? Haaland has been reliably above goal per game in the Champions League ever since playing for the Austrian minnows Salzburg as a teenager. In fact scored a hat trick in his very first Champions League match followed by four more goals in the three following fixtures, all against Liverpool and Napoli against whom Salzburg were very much not stacked. That's what got him the transfer to Dortmund and ultimately Manchester City after he had repeated the same in Germany for three years and now also in the Premier League. Current age 22. Just so for comparison, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo put together had 33 Champions League goals in 78 games at that age. Haaland has 35 in 30.

Besides even those tap-ins are frequently completely ridiculous.

haaland-goal.gif

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
ohtani by a mile.

he’s a top tier, legitimately elite hitter and pitcher.

call me when mahomes also puts up 15 sacks or something.

not really a good comparison with hockey, but it would be like mcdavid also being a vezina caliber goalie.

This is a real senseless comparison,

No being a hitter and leading the league in HR while being 15th in pitching is impressive but its nothing close to the difference between being a goaltender and playing forward. that's reaching for straws.

Ohtani is comparable to being McDavid level offense with Bergeron level defense.

I don't watch football, but Ohtani is further from his peers than McDavid.

Offensively no, Ohtani is not as dominant as McDavid over his peers.

Overall, you can say Ohtani is a phenomenal 2 pronged player and that in it self has never been done in baseball, but saying that he dominates his peers to the extent of McDavid at one thing is flat out incorrect.

He is definitely a better player at having 2 different skill sets which has never been seen in baseball.

We all know you have all McDavid threads in your Browser alert settings. Putting McDavid 10th definitely is in line with your past post of the year nominations. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad