Who is more dominant in their sport: Ohtani, McDavid or Mahomes?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is more dominant in their sport?

• Total voters

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
What a terrible take. Baseball is different from football and hockey, 1 guy just cant have the same impact.

Ohtani is having the best single season in baseball history right now. Sub 3 ERA, over .300 BA, 1st in homeruns.

That's fair. For the longest time MLB wouldn't give the MVP out to a non playoff player. I had to take the contrarian stance to lively up the discussion ;)

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
If memory serves me correctly, some guy named George Herman Ruth was a pretty good pitcher in Boston and led the league in ERA a few years before he got sold to the Yankees.

There's also been some changes to the game over the "long history of babeball". Do you think Ohtani could have done this in 1970, before the DH position existed?
Ruth gave up pitching. He was never a dominant pitcher and hitter at the same time for multiple seasons. I‘m a huge Ruth fan. His hitting was more dominant compared to his peers than Ohtani’s is. But Ruth didn’t do what Ohtani is doing on the mound and at the plate at the same time.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Ruth gave up pitching. He was never a dominant pitcher and hitter at the same time for multiple seasons. I‘m a huge Ruth fan. His hitting was more dominant compared to his peers than Ohtani’s is. But Ruth didn’t do what Ohtani is doing on the mound and at the plate at the same time.

Ruth also didn't have the DH position available to be able to do what Ohtani is doing.

But, during his time in Boston, with limited plate appearances, he hit .308 with 49 home runs, 224 RBIs and had an OPS of 0.981, while also going 89-46 as a pitcher (2.19 ERA, 483 Ks). His last season in Boston (1919), he went 9-5 as a pitcher (2.97 ERA, 133 innings pitched), while also hitting .322 and leading the league in HR, R, RBI, OBP, SLG and OPS.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I see we're still shilling this myth.

1) Ball variance is common.

2) Juiced balls were not found in use at Yankees games. Goldilocks balls were. You've read Goldilocks, right? They're between juiced balls and dead balls.

3) The study found 11 Goldilocks balls in use at Yankees home games. That the study found 88 juiced balls is completely ignored because it's not clickbait.

4) The manufacturing change occurred in May as the chart below indicates, leading me to believe the balls from Yankee Stadium are heavily cherry-picked.

5) As the chart also indicates, balls in 2022 were still deader than the balls used in previous years.

Goldilocks balls are still juiced compared to the standard baseball, you're trying to deflect using some weird semantics. Judge's performance was aided by Rob Manfred. Truth hurts.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He's a guy that's a level above generational player. Once a century player.
In uniqueness, yes. But there have been much better hitters and much better pitchers.

Barry Bonds in 2004 had an OBP of .609. Ohtani's is .389 right now. Meaning the difference between Bonds and Ohtani there is greater than the difference between Ohtani and the worst player in the league.

Reactions: obZen and Regal

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
People who vote McDavid over Mahomes are just those who don’t pay much attention to sports outside of hockey(which is fair considering this is a hockey forum)

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
In uniqueness, yes. But there have been much better hitters and much better pitchers.

Barry Bonds in 2004 had an OBP of .609. Ohtani's is .389 right now. Meaning the difference between Bonds and Ohtani there is greater than the difference between Ohtani and the worst player in the league.
Barry bonds was a cheater though

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
If the Angels don't make the playoffs they should be contracted. They have 2 all timers on their roster, at the same time- and they're just out of the WC. Shows how much baseball is a team sport.

Reactions: ru4reals

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If the Angels don't make the playoffs they should be contracted. They have 2 all timers on their roster, at the same time- and they're just out of the WC. Shows how much baseball is a team sport.

MLB shares in common with the NHL that it's a team sport. They also have in common that they have a real tough time marketing their best players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's definitely Ohtani. Ohtani is making a case for him being the GOAT baseball player, and there have been some really amazing baseball players over the years.

Reactions: ru4reals

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Ruth also didn't have the DH position available to be able to do what Ohtani is doing.

But, during his time in Boston, with limited plate appearances, he hit .308 with 49 home runs, 224 RBIs and had an OPS of 0.981, while also going 89-46 as a pitcher (2.19 ERA, 483 Ks). His last season in Boston (1919), he went 9-5 as a pitcher (2.97 ERA, 133 innings pitched), while also hitting .322 and leading the league in HR, R, RBI, OBP, SLG and OPS.
If you want to point out the DH position let's talk about how Ruth played in an era where most of the best Baseball players weren't even allowed to play. Or the fact that analytics weren't being used much, and nobody was throwing > 100 MPH with disgusting movement. They also used to play in much smaller stadiums.

Obviously it's impossible to compare the two and I have no problem with people going Ruth > Ohtani, but I just wanted to be fair to both sides of the argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad