Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I was thinking about this while having my coffee this morning. With a new coach , if they can have more accountability maybe this helps the laziness and players not giving a crap, or play more responsible.

I’d honestly would not mind seeing meaningless production be effected(looking at you Panarin) in return for more responsibility in all three zones.
I'd still like to know how a new coach improves our lack of team speed.

We all become Devils fans.
I'd choose the Canucks. Irony not overlooked.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

All of the names are here.

Leach
Knoblauch
Brunette
Carbery
Babcock
Boudreau
Laviolette
Hiller
Quenneville
Sullivan

Jay Leach​

The final assistant coach on our list figures to get an opportunity at some point in the coming years, especially if his current team – the Seattle Kraken – keep making noise in these NHL playoffs.

The 43-year-old retired from the NHL as a player in 2013 and went to coach in Germany for one season before heading to the AHL to work as an assistant under then-Wilkes-Barre/Scranton head coach Mike Sullivan. He eventually became the head coach of the Providence Bruins for four seasons, which earned him a spot as an assistant for the expansion Kraken in 2021.

It’s relatively limited experience, but Leach is considered by many to be an excellent communicator and leader who already carries himself like a head coach. He interviewed with the Boston Bruins last year and is now earning even more buzz based on his success in Seattle.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Other has the most votes.

Looking at the very extensive list, who exactly is other?
Corey Stillman was a guy I'd consider. Unproven at the NHL level, but he's moving up the ranks over the years. Worked as a player development coach with Carolina and Florida, had a stint as the head coach of Sudbury, and he has been an assistant with Arizona for the last 3 years.

Reactions: Machinehead

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
"You can't coach speed, Deion. Some people have it, some people don't" - Eli Manning
Yea I think Laf & Kakko just don’t have a lot of fast twitch muscle they are naturally not explosive. Though skating is different than running and relies a lot on technique so they should still be able to be trained into having more efficient strides, but I’m sure they’ve had tons of skating coaches throughout their lives and dedicated countless hours to it, so maybe what we see is what we get. Man what are the odds, in todays speedy NHL we finally get 2 can’t miss lottery picks and both of thems biggest weakness is by far their skating.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
2449474F-2FE1-43FF-B581-B63F61EAC814.jpeg

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Two years ago 60% of the site wanted to hire Gallant. Now everyone decided he's not a good coach, has no system, can't motivate the team to get up for big games etc. Does it matter who people want? These guys are almost all the same and a narrative will be made in a year or two on if it was a good/bad hire based on if they succeed, fail, or do things the poster wants. Nobody knew who the right hire was last time and nobody knows now.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hartfords roster is not playoff worthy, they really have no business being there let alone doing well.
That's not true at all. Particularly after they added Lockwood, Blidh, Clendening, and Kalynuk. And certainly when they had Brodzinski and/or Carpenter in the lineup, which they did for a majority of the year. Leschyshyn is an excellent AHL player, too.

They play in a division where 6 of the 8 teams make the playoffs. You just have to not be awful to get in. I've been following them for well over a decade and I'm THRILLED they did and even more that they've won a couple rounds. This was not a great season for them until the final dozen games. For most of the year they looked like a team without an identity and it wasn't due to a lack of talent. I won't argue that they're one of the most talented teams in the league but they're at least middle of the pack in their division.

RUNYR

Dec 24, 2020
Please give me a fresh hire. Please no more retreads that will likely get fired in two years. If has to be a vet coach than I guess Sutter for the entertainment.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Does it really matter? Can’t the Rangers just tell the league that they will have no coach this year, or just put a scarecrow behind the bench. At least the players can’t quit on the no coach when things get too difficult for them

Rangers announce new coach before NHL Draft

IMG_3473.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Dynasty Isles were notorious chokers before the first Cup. They were the Leafs of the 1970s. Great seasons followed by weak playoffs. Rangers twisted the knife in 1979. That’s why they hate us even after the Cups. 1979 was as bad as 1994 in terms of morale. In 1979-80, Isles were dead and going nowhere late in the season. Arbor was out of answers. Torrey had a deal with Sather to get a young Messier from Edmonton but it fell through, so he traded his most popular players - Lewis and Harris — to the Kings for Goring. Isles cried like babies at the goodbyes. But it was a message from Torrey. That group was tight and he was willing to break it up. Rest is history. Players stepped up.

Mike Keenan went to the finals three times and lost before coming here. In between were horrible upsets in 1986 and 1991. He bullied Smith telling him he knew the kind of players it would take to win. Hawks in 1991 won Pres. Trophy and were embarrassed in R1 by weak North Stars. Larmer, Noonan, Hudson, and Gilbert were on that team. Sound familiar? Next season, Hawks go to the Cup.

Same happened in Detroit when they brought in Scotty Bowman after too many early exits. Red Wings were a joke in the playoffs with peak Yzerman and Fedorov. Notorious chokers. Were first No. 1 seed to lose to a No. 8 (to expansion Sharks and the “Dirtbag Line”) and Bowman was coach. Went to Cup next season, CF after that, then B2B Cups. Players stepped up.

Quebec suffered a bad upset in 1995 then won the Cup in 1996 as Colorado. After that Cup they got upset bad two seasons later by a 7 seed and blew a 3-1 lead. Drury wasnt part of it but probably heard all the stories from Sakic about why Crawford was fired and Hartley (a real asshole BTW) replaced him. Those Avs could not score on Cujo for three straight games. Drury’s first four years with Hartley was CF, CF, SCF, CF. Players stepped up.

Bruins suffered playoff humiliation in 2009 and 2010. Gorton built a chunk of those teams and pushed management to give Tim Thomas a chance. Julien was coach for all of it and Boston wanted his head after they blew the 3-0 lead in R2. But they kept him and won the Cup in 2011. Players stepped up.

Devils were chokers after 1995. Big time. Lou was at his wits end. He fired Robbie Ftorek (another asshole) with a few weeks left in the 2000 season and begged Larry Robinson to take over. Devils changed on a dime in-season and won the Cup. Same with Pens and Bylsma after that douche Therrien was fired in 2008-09. Same with Blues and Berube after “Clueless Yeo” was canned in 2018-19. Players stepped up.

Tampa was a mess after 2013. Went to CF in 2011 then regressed and missed playoffs. They fired Guy Boucher and his scar in-season and brought in Cooper. Instant turnaround because he’s hockey’s Phil Jackson, but took a lot of crushing losses to get to Cups. Players stepped up.

Moral of the story: Coaching helps but one man can only do so much. Playoff humiliation and disappointment always precedes a title. Players’ ego gets crushed and they’re humbled, which shifts their focus and habits, especially in the offseason. Eyes on the prize.

IMHO, it doesn’t matter who’s hired. This is a young-ish team and core is locked up. They will learn from this and get to a Cup eventually. I predict within 2-3 years, mostly because of Igor. Few roster changes are necessary, maybe a blockbuster if possible.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC

Two years ago 60% of the site wanted to hire Gallant. Now everyone decided he's not a good coach, has no system, can't motivate the team to get up for big games etc. Does it matter who people want? These guys are almost all the same and a narrative will be made in a year or two on if it was a good/bad hire based on if they succeed, fail, or do things the poster wants. Nobody knew who the right hire was last time and nobody knows now.
It's ALL about whether they do what the poster wants.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Hire Rand Pecknold. He runs the 1-1-3 forecheck that Trotz used. Cooper also uses it.

Force turnovers in the neutral zone to allow our skilled players to generate rush chances or set up in the o-zone. Let Igor help out if the other team dumps it.

Win a cup. Let’s go.

1-1-3 forecheck demo

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
While a coach obviously can't increase the foot speed of players, they certainly can increase team speed with well defined set passing plays.

It's very hard to outskate a team that can pass with purpose.
We don't seem to have players that pass very well either. Especially on the back end. Which makes no sense, because all we do is constantly over pass the puck.

Reactions: EdJovanovski
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad