Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Who’s got the rundown of legitimate candidates?

Capfriendly should expand to include coaching contracts.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'm 100% OK with getting youngblood.

I was impressed with Seattle... Maybe Jay Leach? Clean up our defense. Would go a long way with Igor.

Warsofsky comes from the Carolina system. Could he implement it here? He was on a horrendous SJS team with a terrible defense but their PK was actually strong. He apparently the 'new best thing'. Only 35? or 36?

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Watched the Blues EOS presser and Armstrong said many of his players cared more about getting a 30-second clip on YouTube that gets a million views than delivering max effort over a full game. His team’s entire season was one big Devils series and he blames selfishness and tuning out authority. But coaches can be toxic mean assholes and win, and also be a best friend and chummy and lose. IMO, it comes down to players.

I don’t care whom they hire. I want Panarin to reinvent himself and play relentless, and Kakko and Lafreniere to spend the offseason getting into peak peak form and grab those top-six wing spots and never let go.

Still blaming all this on Vesey’s shift in OT lol

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jay Leach

Jay Leach

Leach, 42, is the leading candidate. He checks all the boxes.

Leach was Providence’s head coach for four seasons before serving as Dave Hakstol’s assistant in Seattle in 2021-22. In Providence, Leach preached growth mindset, development and positivity. Leach helped Anton Blidh, Connor Clifton, Trent Frederic, Karson Kuhlman, Jeremy Lauzon, Jeremy Swayman and Jakub Zboril become permanent NHL players. He had Kuhlman and Lauzon in Seattle this past season.

Leach served as the right-hand man to former Bruins assistant coach Geoff Ward for Germany’s Adler Mannheim in 2014-15. Ward and Leach helped the team win the DEL championship.

Leach returned to North America to be Mike Sullivan’s assistant in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton in 2015-16. The following season, the Bruins hired Leach to be Kevin Dean’s assistant in Providence.

Management is familiar with Leach. Perhaps the former defenseman, who appeared in two games for the Bruins in 2006-07, can help Frederic, Jack Studnicka and Oskar Steen gain greater NHL footholds.

“He is going to be a great coach,” said one NHL source who has known Leach for decades.

Montgomery ended up with the Boston job.

Leach had Carbery on his staff in Providence.

Leach doesn’t have NHL head coaching experience but he has coached at every level. He was an assistant for Sullivan. Head coach in the AHL. Assistant coach in the NHL.

Knobaulch has the Hakstol connection from Philadelphia. Maybe Leach can add Knoblauch to the Rangers staff.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Jay Leach

Leach doesn’t have NHL head coaching experience but he has coached at every level. He was an assistant for Sullivan. Head coach in the AHL. Assistant coach in the NHL.

Knobaulch has the Hakstol connection from Philadelphia. Maybe Leach can add Knoblauch to the Rangers staff.
I'm more than OK with Leach. We'd need an NHL vet to take an assistant coach job to add that experience. God please not Ruff.

Boudreau as assistant for the offense?> It was only a season or so but he revitalized all of Vancouvers offensive talent. JT Miller career year last season. Horvat career season this season. Petterson back on track with a career year this season.

That'd be a great start.

Last edited:
Reactions: mas0764

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Mitch Love is another up-and-coming AHL coach in the AHL with Calgary's farm team, and they've been among the best in the league since he took over there. He has previous experience from the WHL in Everett and Saskatoon too. I'd imagine he's going to get a long look there to fill in for Sutter

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Jay Leach

This also sounds like a solid plan.

I definitely want a group of younger modern coaches like this that adopt analytical stuff into their decisions.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Brunette and Knoblauch aren't really too recycled. They're both young coaches. Knoblauch is only 44. I'd like to see him get his shot.
I was a fan of the KK hire for Pack.
But dont feel he's earned an NHL shot yet.
Terrible stretch ending '22 season.
And this year, great finish, continuing in playoffs, but really it turned very late, they were a fifth place team anyway.
Lets see him coach an expected contender, to a contending season, to become a stronger candidate

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Knoblauch had good success in the CHL in both the WHL and OHL. It didn't hurt to have Connor McDavid on his Erie team for three years. He's been the Hartford coach for 4 years now and this year is the first time they've made it to the playoffs......and it took a late surge after Drury bolstered the Hartford lineup at the deadline bringing in Blidh, Lockwood, Clendening and Kalynuk. Even with that surge they squeaked in. That team is on a roll right now. Not sure I'd want to read too much into that. To me as an AHL coach Knoblauch's track record is mixed. I'd be more comfortable at least as of now in the Rangers new coach moving Knoblauch into an assistant's role than giving Knoblauch the head coach job.

Jay Leach's name has been circulating as a possible NHL head coach for several years now. Pretty much the entirety of the list above are NHL retreads. Messier has no experience. That's a disqualifier. If he's interested in coaching he needs to put in some work....not go straight to the NHL Rangers. If he was ever truly interested in coaching he would have done that already. The track record for any number of former superstars is not very good----Gretzky, Roy, Trottier, Oates so one shouldn't assume just because a player was a great player he would be great coach.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
What about promoting Ortmeyer? He’s already on the organization and has respect about management. You think a team under ortmeyer wouldn’t go all out and play hard?
I'm concerned Ortmeyers leadership position in the player development dept has more to do with our Blue Chip prospects floundering than any actions by former head coaches.

Maybe Orts was good at getting the most out of lower round, less talented players. But teaching high skilled, elite kids how to "stick in the NHL" didn't exactly teach then how their elite talents could be tweeked to actually work in the NHL.

Let's face it. The guy was a less talented clone of Drury. Those guys have all my respect and imo are great coach material. But, they have no idea how to handle inherent special talent and how that talent translated to the speed and intelligence of NHL competition.

Loved Orts the player. I have my suspicions on Orts the player development coach. And I sure as heck have my doubts about Orts the NHL Head Coach, especially when we have these kids with very special talents that have yet to receive the proper training on how to deploy them at this level, and, a couple more in the next two years coming in that need the same coaching from an ex player who thinks the game at their level of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad